PDA

View Full Version : Homegrown Target Stands & Steel help.

Pathfinder Ops
04-24-10, 10:45
Guys,

Hopefully this hasn't already been done, but I don't find it if it has.

I'm about to embark on building target stands and or steel for my local gun club.

I run a fair number of my company training programs there and pay for that but I'ld like to donate a better target set up thereby helping them and me overall.

They are a small club with a great (large) property. They have a 100 yd berm in one area of the club that has a covered bench rest set up that will handle 8 across. The range is actually large enough that from infront of the covered area you could easily line twice that number safely, so its a fairly wide area.

There is also an area with 5, 25'X25' "pits" with berm on 3 sides.

I am looking to fund and build this through my company but am not inclined to buy commercial stuff.

I'm looking for good examples of stuff folks have built both steel plate (hanging or on stands) and a fixed sort of thing for putting cardboard or paper targets on.

Right now I'm not looking at building anything reactive like poppers etc.

Good quality photos are essential and a brief explanation on what you did/ used could help..

Show me what you have at your ranges or that you built for yourself and use on your property.

Thanks in advance.

Irish
04-24-10, 11:27
One consideration that I didn't see in your post was if you want the target stand to be movable, light weight, or in one permanent position, weight is not a factor. Do you have a preference or do you want to see any and all types?

74Highboy
04-24-10, 12:06
I have built a few targets for our club using plans and info from Ken Reeds Web site. He has included construction plans at the end of each of project pictures. Click on the target/project on the left and scroll to the end of the photo's for the plans in PDF format.

http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/AlSkDjFhG/index.html

Pathfinder Ops
04-24-10, 18:58
One consideration that I didn't see in your post was if you want the target stand to be movable, light weight, or in one permanent position, weight is not a factor. Do you have a preference or do you want to see any and all types?

steels should be Light enough that one person could move the stand around without too much difficulty. Stability is the bigger issue

skyugo
04-25-10, 00:30
if they're gonna be left out for people to plink at all the time i'd say build em super heavy duty... bullets have a way of dismantling things.

orionz06
04-25-10, 08:19
Check out letargets.com, steel is pretty easy to copy if you have what you need.

Pathfinder Ops
04-26-10, 06:20
if they're gonna be left out for people to plink at all the time i'd say build em super heavy duty... bullets have a way of dismantling things.

Good point.

TurretGunner
04-27-10, 11:00
I had the same problem. I was going to buy some steel and weld it together. By the time you buy the steel with transportation costs and everything, you might as well just buy them.

I bought a few of these:
https://www.targetbarn.com/newstore2.asp?CAT=TARGETS&SubCat=TARGETSTANDS

With shipping they are pretty cheap. I paid like 70 Bucks shipped for 2. They have great welds and are very sturdy. You use Fur Strips for the stands. They are like $6 Bucks for 10 , 10ft pieces at Home Depot. Break them in half and you have the perfect height. Then go to a sign store and get a shitload of coreplast (sp?). It is a layer plastic sign material that is cheap and stands up to shots. All you do is staples them into the the fur strips and your gtg. As long as you dont shoot the wood they will last a long time. I dont know how many targets you need, but these seem to be a good option.

Thomas M-4
04-27-10, 11:31
At my local range they use 12'' steel plate hanging from a small welded up A- frame it holds the plate about 6-10'' above the ground one person can move it and its been holding up good.
For paper targets they use heavy 1'' at least rebar that has been welded square frame with zip ties holding old local campaign posters you can tape, staple or push pin your paper target to the poster.