PDA

View Full Version : VA passes state firearms school curriculum

bubabootie
04-24-10, 15:43
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/24/virginia-teach-gun-safety-elementary-students/

The thing i find most hilarious, is that someone woman says firearm safety is something that "should be taught in the home." But i bet she's the same woman who things my kids in the first grade need to learn about homosexuality and where babies come from.

tinman44
04-24-10, 16:12
This was referred to as D.A.R.E. when I was in junior high, or M.A.D.D. or something I don't recall exactly. I do remember McGruff, I also remember every man in my family tree knowing about guns and their use's and safeties.

skyugo
04-24-10, 16:50
when i was in first grade i remember a cop coming in and showing us his pistol and some of his other gear. that was like 20 years ago. he showed us that you could write with soft point bullets like a pencil, i thought that was pretty neat.

i see no reason why kids shouldn't be given basic firearms safety instructions at public school. as the liberals love to say "if it saves even one life..." :o

RetreatHell
04-24-10, 16:52
This was referred to as D.A.R.E. when I was in junior high, or M.A.D.D. or something I don't recall exactly. I do remember McGruff, I also remember every man in my family tree knowing about guns and their use's and safeties.

I got arrested by my D.A.R.E. teacher, Officer West, when I was 11 years old for shoplifting some toys. That ended my career as a hardened criminal:p

Anyhoo, I think a lot of the liberal anti-gun citizens in VA are misunderstanding the objective of the gun safety course. They're apparently believing that the NRA is going to teach defensive handgun tactics, or run the kiddies through a tactical carbine course (could you imagine Costa teaching school children? Costa: "Come on, Timmy! Clear that double feed! Lock, strip, rack, rack, rack! Get that gun back into the fight and smoke some more bad guys!!":p :D).

Someone needs to explain to them that it's all about safety ad preventing needless severe injuries and deaths as results from children playing with loaded guns and such. How many times have we heard the same horrid story of a child finding his parents' gun(s) and then picking them up out of curiosity or to play with them or to show them off to a friend, and then they accidentally shoot themselves with a revolver, or blast their friend in the face at point blank range with a shotgun, or fire off a round from a large caliber hunting rifle that goes through the wall of their house and into their neighbor's house next door and kills a baby that's taking its afternoon nap?

These types of scenarios happen all the time, and it's so horrible and needless because it could've been prevented by educating children on firearms safety. I know the liberals' idea of preventing these tragic accidents is to simply ban ALL guns with the reasoning that if there's no firearms at all (except for in the hands of bad guys like in Mexico), then these awful things wouldn't ever happen. But this is America, where we have the freedom to own firearms to protect ourselves and our property (among the many other legitimate and legal purposes one chooses to purchase a gun), so that simply ain't gonna happen. Ever.

The NRA really needs to step up here (if they haven't already) and spend some cash on TV advertisements explaining the primary objective of these safety classes, and really emphasize that gun safety is ALL these classes will be about, and nothing more.

Just my $.02 worth.

GermanSynergy
04-25-10, 10:23
Libs love to talk out of both sides of their mouth. One the one hand, they demand "common sense regulations, and gun safety training". When an organization (such as the NRA) actually conducts professional safety training, all of a sudden "it must be taught at home".... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CarlosDJackal
04-25-10, 11:01
Libs love to talk out of both sides of their mouth. One the one hand, they demand "common sense regulations, and gun safety training". When an organization (such as the NRA) actually conducts professional safety training, all of a sudden "it must be taught at home".... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Add to that the fact that they are in favor of teaching sex education in school versus just at home. IMHO, they should rename the "demokratic party" to the "Hypocratic Party".

OPPFOR
04-25-10, 11:13
This is an outstanding idea. Provide kids with knowledge of firearms safety before they have the chance to pick up a firearm. I bet Mrs. Haas didn't have a problem with her children being taught about the dangers of illegal narcotics. She is the spokeswoman for the Virginia Center for Public Safety......and doesn't want children in Virginia to learn firearm safety.

The article also states her daughter is a survivor of the Virginia Tech massacre. One would think this lady would be all for a class that emphasizes responsible and safe handling of firearms. This lady thinks with her emotions and not her brain.

Cobra66
04-25-10, 11:26
While everyone here understands the intent of this safety training, and all reasonable people do as well, I'm afraid that there is no getting through to the hardened opponents of this type of training like the woman mentioned. With those on the hard core left you are dealing with two types:

1) the "Kumbia" type who have a totally irrational fear of weapons in general and firearms in particular. No good can come from them in their eyes and the very exposure of kids to firearms will set the kid down a path of violence and baby killing.
2) the "Statists" who view individual ownership of firearms as an obstacle to their idea of a Utopian society. The state is the only entity besides the criminal that should have access to weapons and thus there is no reason to ever expose a child to firearms safety. Should the child one day become a member of the state security caste (military or police) then they will be given the needed instruction at that time.

The above types make up a large percentage of the "liberal" ideology and the very idea of teaching children firearms safety run 180 degrees against their core values. Luckily in states like Virginia, these types are still in the minority but in places like New York and Kalifornia, they are in control :(