PDA

View Full Version : DAO hammer!?

kal
04-24-10, 16:30
Today at the range I saw somebody shooting a Para Ordnance pistol that was DAO but used a hammer. It was wierd the way it shot. The trigger would be pulled and the spurless hammer would retract and then release, firing the round. But what exactly happens to that hammer when the slide cycles? Does it get pushed back by the slide and then falls onto the firing pin? wtf? Because it sure as hell wasn't being cocked.

I'm so confused.:confused:

Palmguy
04-24-10, 16:42
There are other hammer-fired pistols that are double action only...Sig and H&K come to mind. My only experience is with the H&K LEM trigger; after firing and the slide cycles the hammer does not come forward 100% of the way to hit the firing pin. The specifics of the mechanisms in each system are different.

buzz_knox
04-24-10, 16:43
That's the Light Double Action (LDA) system. There should be a description somewhere on the board but in short, there are two hammers: an internal one "precocked" by the slide's action and an external one. When you pull the trigger, you are finishing the cocking and discharge process. Because the internal hammer was already cocked, the overall effort is lower than a standard double action. I believe it's similar to the HK LEM system, but could be mistaken.

varoadking
04-24-10, 17:17
There are other hammer-fired pistols that are double action only...Sig and H&K come to mind.

Their DAO's are pretty lame, though their DAK and LEM systems are terrific...

Smith & Wesson rules when it comes to hammer fired DAO autoloaders...everything you need, and nothing you don't...