PDA

View Full Version : VFG/AFG Position movement?

Falkon
04-24-10, 17:35
I am new to the forum and AR's but have garnered a ton of good info here. Great forum.

I was curious if people move, or feel the need to move, their VFG or AFG depending on shooting scenarios or do you just use one position on the rail at all times?

Thanks.

CB.

Ash Hess
04-24-10, 17:42
I only move mine to adjust to stance or something I recently learned. If you move things around it changes how the gun sets and feels. it also changes control. Plus when you add rail covers, lights, lasers, sling mounts it becomes a puzzle to get everything in place.

d90king
04-24-10, 17:57
Mine stay put and are not moved. I am still trying to see how much I really like the AFG. I have been killed at work and have less than a thousand rounds using them so I can't really offer a solidly formed opinion.

I have them on a couple rifles and see benefits in some areas yet weaknesses in others.

Time and more ammo will tell.

99HMC4
04-24-10, 18:02
I love the AFG on my SCAR. Set it and forget it, dont move it.....;)

Ratfink
04-24-10, 18:14
ive got 6675 rounds on my afg on my noveske i dont know how long the rail is but its the vltor vis upper they offer and its all the way out its about i dunno its a little farthur out than my rail

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Ratfinkfj/Mobile%20Uploads/2010-04-24191103.jpg

just a quick phone photo to show you and this never moves and it never will leave it where you practice it with and put a bunch of rounds down range

EzGoingKev
04-25-10, 10:58
I have been killed at work and have less than a thousand rounds using them so I can't really offer a solidly formed opinion.
Posting from beyond the grave, color me impressed.

Is it true what they say about the white light?

USMC03 did a write up here (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/vertical-foregrip-placement).

mmike87
04-25-10, 11:04
All my stuff has moved over the years ... I started with the "magwell" grip, moved to a rear-mounted VFG used as a "hand stop", ditched that and used a forward grip with no VFG, and finally I am on the AFG and the "thumb brake" style. I really like the latter, and hopefully don't have to move anymore.

However, I never move AFG for specific scenarios. I agree with the other posters ... settle on positions that work and train with that. However, be open to change in the future if something comes along that may work better for you.

PA1911
04-26-10, 17:55
I am new to the AR game so I have used the thumb break method since I got my AR. Mine came with a VFG but I have since installed a Magpul AFG. I really like it and I run it as far forward as possible while still being able to reach it with both hands for quick shoulder transitions.

The AFG gives me the close to bore grip I like. Having the grip as forward as possible lets me swing the rifle quicker.

JonnyVain
04-27-10, 10:09
Right now I have the Gear Sector handstop paired with the Magpul RVG. The handstop is forward for aggressive shooting, the RVG is farther back for a more comfortable extended time grip. I think this is a great combo. If like the idea of the AFG but it just doesn't feel right to you, I'd highly recommend the GS handstop. I'll be doing a review of it this week.

Otherwise, I'd use the magwell grip with the RVG out forward. You need to determine what your uses are. For our guys in A-stan, maybe the forward grip is not useful. Most of their combat is longer range. They need a grip that is comfortable for and extended time. For Iraq, or home defense for your purposes, the forward, aggressive grip would be the ticket for faster point and shoot.