PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger LCR's vs. J-frames

lil'Zeus
04-25-10, 15:44
Has anyone had much trigger time on a new LCR that has shot/carried a J-frame as a back up gun, or complete CC?

I have been looking at one for a while, but not had the opportunity to play with one yet.

General thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,
Shane

opmike
04-25-10, 23:00
Well, I have an LCR that's getting a lot more carry during these hot months where I'm wearing t-shirts instead of polos and button ups. My usual carry is a full size M&P.

While I haven't carried any J-frames, I've shot the LCR and several J-frames side-by-side on a number of occasions. Mine is the one that has the soft Hogue grips instead of the Crimson Trace. While the handle is a little more "blocky" when it comes to concealment, I have to say that grip makes it a noticeably more pleasant handgun to shoot, especially with stout +P loads.

The recoil impulse is pretty abrupt, but it's short lived and follow ups are surprisingly easy. While none of these small snubbies are guns I'd want to send 1000 rounds in a range session through, I find the LCR to be more forgiving in the recoil department, despite the lighter weight.

I also prefer the trigger pull on the Ruger. It's a little on the heavy side, but the overall feel through the range of motion is better executed than on the 642's I've tried.

Unfortunately, some users have been experiencing issues with the components in the trigger group malfunctioning. It hasn't warranted a recall on Ruger's part, but the issue is there for some users for sure.

While this isn't really an in-depth review or anything, I'm happy with mine. The J-frames, of course, still have the track record but I was willing to give the Ruger a try and I don't regret doing so as things stand currently. I won't comment on the looks as I don't really give a damn what my defensive handguns look like. A number of threads on other forums seem to derail in that direction for some strange reason :rolleyes:

montanadave
04-25-10, 23:34
I haven't shot a J-frame in years but when I last had my LCR at the range, a couple of guys with J-frames asked to try it out. Both made similar comments to those expressed by opmike, specifically noting the lighter recoil and smoother trigger.

kmrtnsn
04-26-10, 00:02
I have a 340PD. I also finally got to shoot an LCR. The LCR has a much better trigger that the S&W. It would cost you a $100 trigger job for the S&W to get a pull close to that of the Ruger.

ChicagoTex
04-26-10, 02:35
It's softer recoiling with a much smoother trigger. It's also too damn big. I don't see any point in carrying a 5-shot revolver that large when I could carry a G26 or M&P9 Compact or similar instead.

Jay Cunningham
04-26-10, 03:52
I agree with most of the opinions expressed so far.

Drew78
04-26-10, 05:52
I shot both for about 2 months evaluating them before making a decision. I am the owner of an LCR.

Its the trigger for me. I can run it MUCH faster an accuratly than the 642 I was also testing out.

Worlds of difference in my hands between the two....

Good luck!

ygbsm
04-26-10, 10:18
My experience with the LCR is that it is much easier to get a false reset of the trigger.

By that I mean that you reset the trigger, acquire and fire again and the trigger only turns the cylinder and does not fire. It did it for me both slow and rapid fire.

S&W J-frames do not do this for me. It only happens shooting the LCR.

Drew78
04-26-10, 10:57
My experience with the LCR is that it is much easier to get a false reset of the trigger.

By that I mean that you reset the trigger, acquire and fire again and the trigger only turns the cylinder and does not fire. It did it for me both slow and rapid fire.

The above is true. The reset on the J frame is superior to the LCR. Due to the trigger system used in the LCR it actually feels like there are several "reset" points as you let the trigger back out. You must release it all the way forward to fire again. This is no different with the J frame, but it feels quite odd when you short stroke the LCR the first time or 2. It was really just a training issue for me and was resolved within a few range sessions. It is, in my opinion worth it given the trigger press you gain on the front end with the LCR.

Jay Cunningham
04-26-10, 10:57

Agree.

lil'Zeus
04-26-10, 11:02
Thanks for all of your replies..The price seems to be attractive on the LCR comparied to the lightweight J-frames.

For a back up revolver like this, would you guys prefer the double actin only guns, or a J-frame with a hammer?

Thanks again
Shane

Bulldog7972
04-26-10, 11:19
Yeah, but what about the caliber? Does anybody here really feel confident about the .380?

lil'Zeus
04-26-10, 11:22
.38 special +P is a lot different that .380 IMO

Irish
04-26-10, 11:26
I'd suggest reading this thread for additional information https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19914.

While both the .380 ACP and .38 sp can obviously be lethal; the .38 sp is more likely to incapacitate an attacker when used in a BUG role.

Jay Cunningham
04-26-10, 11:40
Thanks for all of your replies..The price seems to be attractive on the LCR comparied to the lightweight J-frames.

For a back up revolver like this, would you guys prefer the double actin only guns, or a J-frame with a hammer?

Thanks again
Shane

DAO for me.

Jay Cunningham
04-26-10, 11:41
Yeah, but what about the caliber? Does anybody here really feel confident about the .380?

The LCR is a .38 special revolver... you are thinking of the LCP.

Bulldog7972
04-26-10, 17:19
OOPS! My mistake.

Combat_Diver
04-28-10, 10:10
Another good comparesion will be between the Ruger LCR and Smiths new Bodyguard revolver due out in May. I've got a new 442 Pro Series on order (cut for moon clips and no lock).

CD

Lucky Strike
04-30-10, 15:39
I've got a 642 that I pocket carry in summer months...haven't had a chance to handle a LCR yet though. Size wise is it pretty much identical to the 642?

I've got other revolvers that are Rugers (GP100, Blackhawk, Single Six) and they're all great

carolvs
04-30-10, 15:46
I wonder why there isn't an LCR in .327 Mag. :confused:

ChicagoTex
04-30-10, 16:56
Size wise is it pretty much identical to the 642?

Absolutely not. It's a good 15-20% or so larger (much more like a 6-shot Colt Detective Special) and is too big to be what I consider pocket-carryable.

That's why I say, if I'm gonna lug a gun the size of G26/M&Pc, I'd rather lug the G26/M&Pc.

ST911
04-30-10, 16:56
I wonder why there isn't an LCR in .327 Mag. :confused:

I wonder why there's a .327 Mag to begin with. :D

ChicagoTex
04-30-10, 16:57
I wonder why there isn't an LCR in .327 Mag.

Probably because .327 Mag guns sell almost as well as instant-herpes.

Lucky Strike
04-30-10, 18:28
Absolutely not. It's a good 15-20% or so larger (much more like a 6-shot Colt Detective Special) and is too big to be what I consider pocket-carryable.

That's why I say, if I'm gonna lug a gun the size of G26/M&Pc, I'd rather lug the G26/M&Pc.

Oh, well if that's the case I'll stick with the 642....the 642 is about the max size wise of what I'd be comfortable pocket carrying.