PDA

View Full Version : Neck knife and credit card knife worth having? Which one?

alfred10
04-25-10, 15:44
Not sure how good it would be to wear a neck knife. I like the smith and wesson one becuase it has a whistle in it. I would be worried that the sheath would evenutally wear and the blade would pop out. I want something with an extra level of retention. Who makes a bad ass neck knife? Would it mess you up if you where hit hard or had another traua that hit the knife into your chest?

How good are credit card knives for your wallet? Do they have any real use other than that they get past searches?

CLHC
04-25-10, 16:15
Check out the RaidOps (http://www.raidops.com/index.htm) Operator knives while you're at it. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :cool:

Tennvol12345
04-25-10, 17:15
I wear a Emerson neck knife everyday. Never had it fall out of the kydex pouch.

2Sharp
04-25-10, 17:52
Emerson La Griffe is pretty much what you need :)

I've carried one in steel or titanium for several years. If you can find one second hand the Hideaway knife is also an excellent choice, i have a ti/carbon fiber one around my neck as i type!

I've never had any issues with them falling out or messing me up, somewhat uncomfortable when wearing them underneath body armor so i usually let it hang over the armor. (i wear issued armor under my jacket)

Only CC knives i'd carried has been JSP Blade Riggers moneyclip, Spydercos folding version and a titanium Neil Blackwood credit card, i mostly saw them as fun stuff rather then "last ditch" blades. If someone were searching you with bad intent i'm pretty sure they would take your wallet.

Knives are fun :)

LockenLoad
04-25-10, 19:50
http://www.knifepro.com/store/pc/RAT-Cutlery-Izula-Knife-with-Kit-Black-2p6041.htm

another option to look at

bundoc
04-25-10, 20:59
I purchased an Izula a month ago and absolutely love it so far. It is cheap enough for you to try it out and their no question warranty is phenomenal.

thopkins22
04-25-10, 22:33
http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php ;)

montanadave
04-25-10, 23:27
How good are credit card knives for your wallet? Do they have any real use other than that they get past searches?

I can't vouch for how useful they might prove to be, but I can offer personal testimony that credit card knifes don't get past every search.

Several years back, when crossing back into Israel from Jordan, I was detained by the Israeli border guards when I forgot about having a "credit card" swiss army-type knife in my wallet (a freebie given out by Halliburton). This was pre-9/11 and I had carried it through airports, onto an El-Al flight, and through a variety of security checkpoints BUT I didn't make it back across the Israeli/Jordanian border. I honestly had forgotten it was even in my wallet and Israeli security finally found it when the passed the wand over my wallet prior to commencing a more thorough strip search.

They were good-natured about it and we all shared a laugh (and they let me keep the knife) but things were a little tense for a moment or two. Israelis tend to be rather "no nonsense" when it comes to security issues.

2Sharp
04-26-10, 21:07
http://www.hideawayknife.com/main.php ;)
There have been some reports of not so successful shopping there, so buyer beware... please.

Sorry for being vague, please read this:
http://ingunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/74629-hideaway_knives_read_this.html

And simply google "hideaway knives". I'm not saying thisd is the ultimate truth, but please spend a few minutes researching before commuting money.

I have no personal beef with anyone involved in the HAK business, but people i respect have spoken and i listened.

Sorry if i turned a nice thread in to piss and vinegar, questions please PM me.

thopkins22
04-26-10, 23:32
There have been some reports of not so successful shopping there, so buyer beware... please.

I've purchased three hideaways in the past with zero issues. As I understand it the problems were related to them accepting payment on knives that were ground by custom makers without having any clue as to when if ever the knives would arrive. As far as I know buying from the available now section has always been okay.

If that's not correct then I'd like to know. If you have pertinent info please PM me with it.

The materials/design/execution and whatnot are all truly top notch so I hope it's not too serious.

2Sharp
04-27-10, 09:13
If you have pertinent info please PM me with it.
PM sent ad original post edited to a, hopefully, somewhat more elaborate reply.

Treehopr
04-27-10, 09:15
How many of you actually have any training with credit card/neck knives??

Any recommendations?

trukreltrog
04-27-10, 09:20

Any recommendations?

Snody ones are nice, if you can find one.

Treehopr
04-27-10, 11:25
Snody ones are nice, if you can find one.

Thanks, I'll check out the website- does he do training as well?

2Sharp
04-27-10, 12:28

Any recommendations?

I got the HAK video way back and while it isn't anything rocket science i liked the compiled info.

I felt that it could easily be adapted to any small knife, altough anything small-ish with a finger-hole, HAK, La Griffe, small karambits, would be the most appropriate for it.
I've worked with my HAK trainer as well as karambit trainers so i'd say i have at least an idea on how to use'em.