PDA

View Full Version : First successful reload firing!

usmcamp0811
04-25-10, 20:41
Ok so I just got back from the range where I test fired my first 30 rounds that I reloaded. I'm excited! I didn't blow anything up! But now I want to make sure I stay safe and am evaluating my load properly.

Below is a picture of three casings that I fired today. The two on the right are my reloads and the one on the left is the factor load. All were fired from the same rifle. I am having a hard time knowing for sure if the primer is showing signs of too much pressure. To me it does look as if the dimple is deeper on my reloads than the factory round. But is this primer flattening that I read about? Its just so hard to tell for sure cause most of the pictures that I see are small or black and white. Either way I seemingly had no real problem with the rounds that I shot today. Maybe a bit more recoil but its hard to say for sure.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_xftzjr3SHPw/S9TnCdVb-aI/AAAAAAAAAkw/jWnC1sb1a_Y/s640/IMG_1892.JPG

I checked the first 15 rounds after each shot to make sure nothing crazy was going on. All the rounds looked the same as these. I did not see any extractor marks or any other signs of too much pressure. Based on all the information I have read so far I have made the assumption that my rounds were safe but were definitely on the upper end of the pressure spectrum.

Some info on my load. It was a once fired PRVI case loaded with 24gr of H335, Lake City 55gr M193 FMJ-BT, and Federal small rifle primers. I seated the bullet so that I could just barely see the top edge of the cannelure. The OAL was 2.215" All of this load was based off of the Speer Reloading Manual #14. I used the recommended charge and info for the 22 FMJ BT that they had listed.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_xftzjr3SHPw/S9TrHFLXoZI/AAAAAAAAAlM/Bk6jS_CCykU/s512/IMG_1896.JPG

I have been searching the internet and saw that there seems to be a very large variance in what charge people use with H335; everything from like 21-26grs. My next step is going to be to make two loads one of 23.5gr and one of 23.0gr and test fire those and see how they work. My goal right now is not accuracy but SAFETY. Eventually I'd like to make this into a viable round that I can use primarily for just random plinking at the range. Am I making too small of adjustments or are they about right? Any recommendations would be great! And I want to thank everyone on here for all the help that y'all have given me in getting started reloading!

rocket56
04-27-10, 12:43
good job. It was about the same for me the first time i fired my first reload.Was i going to blow up, etc. I also us h335, 24gr on my 55 grain bullets with good success...............

rjacobs
04-28-10, 13:29
The most common load I saw(and what I load with great success) for 55g FMJ in .223/5.56 is 25g of H335 using small rifle magnum primers. The ball powder actually needs higher pressures to burn completely and the magnum primer is used because ball powder is slightly harder to ignite than stick powder. My guess is if you lower your charge you will have a very dirty gun because the pressure wont be getting up there to completely burn all the powder.

You may try lengthening your OAL too. Dont have my book in front of me, but I know I load as long as possible to still work in the magazine(2.26" max if I am not mistaken and I load to like 2.25). Using the canelure as a guide is not recommended because your brass may not always be a uniform length.

As far as your primers, I wouldnt worry, its just a different primer than what the factory round had in it so obviously its going to look different.

hayes
04-28-10, 16:12
Your primers look fine. The impact point is deeper since you were using Small Rifle primers instead of Small Rifle Magnum primers. It's important to use SR Magnum primers as they have a thicker cup than standard Small Rifle primers.

In your photo, the factory round on the left looks perfect. the flat primer face is an indication of good pressure, but not over-pressure. If you were to see cratering which would look like the picture below, then be wary. You're primers are from from that, even with the thin cupped Small Rifle primers.

http://i20.tinypic.com/2ui8zl3.jpg

shootist~
04-28-10, 17:18
Your primers look fine. Carry on.

usmcamp0811
04-28-10, 17:31
Ok thank you very much..

Pumpkinheaver
05-02-10, 22:24
Your primers look fine. How did you like that feeling you got right before you squeezed off your first round loaded by you? Mine was over 20 years ago and I still remember the feeling!!!

markm
05-02-10, 22:42
Don't go overboard on flat primer reading. Different primers flatten at different pressures.

Now the pic that Hayes posted is primer flow. You don't want to see that on your AR loads. :cool:

usmcamp0811
05-03-10, 08:11
LOL yea I made sure my buddy knew my blood type and I had eye pro on...