PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense Omega rails coming loose ...

30 cal slut
04-26-10, 06:39
Apologies if this is not exactly news ... did a search and didn't see this.

Each set of DD Omega 7 rails on my rifles are becoming increasingly loose.

I tighten the screws that tighten into the delta ring before shooting, and a few hundred rounds later I can wiggle the rail.

I haven't called DD yet about this, was wondering if folks had any observations or fixes. I'm reluctant to use loctite, because on at least one gun I want to be able to remove the handguard regularly to clean the bbl and fsb (of corrosive primer salts).

Help?

thx.

-slut

t_ridl
04-26-10, 08:22

I tighten the screws that tighten into the delta ring before shooting, and a few hundred rounds later I can wiggle the rail.

I haven't called DD yet about this, was wondering if folks had any observations or fixes. I'm reluctant to use loctite, because on at least one gun I want to be able to remove the handguard regularly to clean the bbl and fsb (of corrosive primer salts).

Help?

thx.

-slut

You need to use blue loctite on the screws. Its the only way to prevent the rail from coming lose durning shooting. Blue loctite youll be able to remove it anytime you want just as long as you clean the threads after and reapply it. Do NOT use red loctite since youll never be able to get it off. Just use some blue loctite and tighten it and youll be able to removed it later with no problems.

Stickman
04-26-10, 08:22
You shouldn't be stunned that it loosens up without loctite, everything else seems to on a weapon. Either way, figure Staff might sneak in an lock this for not having contacted the manufacturer first, they are pretty big on that.

C4IGrant
04-26-10, 08:26

Help?

thx.

-slut

You HAVE to use loctite.

If you get salt spray (or whatever) on the barrel, just flush it with a water and blow it out with compressed air.

C4

30 cal slut
04-26-10, 09:15
gotcha. thanks.

-slut

JimT
04-26-10, 10:57
I have three Omega rails (7.0, 7.0, 9.0) and I seem to recall that the four barrel nut fasteners had a thread-locker material on them. They have not backed out, yet.

Iraqgunz
04-26-10, 11:53
As Stickman mentioned, in the future let's remember the rule of contacting the manufacturer first. Also, I believe that the instructions recommend the use of a thread locking compound ( I may be wrong.).

30 cal slut
04-26-10, 12:41
As Stickman mentioned, in the future let's remember the rule of contacting the manufacturer first. Also, I believe that the instructions recommend the use of a thread locking compound ( I may be wrong.).

i might have missed that in the instructions.

C4IGrant
04-26-10, 12:44
i might have missed that in the instructions.

Rule # 4.

https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

C4

spamsammich
04-26-10, 14:04
You HAVE to use loctite.

If you get salt spray (or whatever) on the barrel, just flush it with a water and blow it out with compressed air.

C4

it doesn't hurt to follow up with a blast of WD-40 to ensure that any water in the tight spots is displaced.

spamsammich
04-26-10, 14:06
I have three Omega rails (7.0, 7.0, 9.0) and I seem to recall that the four barrel nut fasteners had a thread-locker material on them. They have not backed out, yet.

The ones I have installed in the past had a blue threadlock painted on but I have NEVER relied on that shit in the past to hold fasteners on ANY application. I use either blue loctite or the mid strength wicking/press fit compound.

Rude Robert
04-27-10, 09:28
trying to make light of the situation

You should have bought a dpms ;)

30 cal slut
04-27-10, 16:08
Had a chance to catch my breath here at work and call the company today.

Daniel Defense does not recommend loctiting the set screws. There is already gooop on the threads.

I was advised that the screws may not be catching enough meat on the barrel nut, and that fiddling around with the positioning could fix the issue.

I'm pretty sure the installation instructions I received with the Omega rails did not mention supplemental loctiting, but I'll check tonight.

Just passing on what I heard.

As an aside, I made the mistake of browsing DD's website to get their phone number. I just bought another complete upper. Darn you DD! :rolleyes:

-slut

C4IGrant
04-27-10, 16:12
Had a chance to catch my breath here at work and call the company today.

Daniel Defense does not recommend loctiting the set screws. There is already gooop on the threads.

I was advised that the screws may not be catching enough meat on the barrel nut, and that fiddling around with the positioning could fix the issue.

I'm pretty sure the installation instructions I received with the Omega rails did not mention supplemental loctiting, but I'll check tonight.

Just passing on what I heard.

As an aside, I made the mistake of browsing DD's website to get their phone number. I just bought another complete upper. Darn you DD! :rolleyes:

-slut

The screws do have a thread locker on them (from the factory). If you have removed them at least once, you then have broken the bond and their ability to retain their hold (on re-tightening) has been lost (which is most likely your issue).

I would suggest removing them, cleaning them with a brass brush (to remove old thread locker), degreasing them and the hole and then using blue loctite, re-install them.

C4

30 cal slut
04-27-10, 18:50
Thanks Grant! I'll give it a shot.

Outlander Systems
05-05-11, 19:36
Didn't want to start a new thread on this, so I necro'd it...

At any rate, I just installed some Omega 9.0 rails on my upper, and I'm curious if anyone's had any issues with the blue loctite breaking down.

I know the red is a lot more temperature-resistant, but, after some of my experiences with red loctite, I'm extremely hesitant to go near that shit.

C4IGrant
05-05-11, 20:23
Didn't want to start a new thread on this, so I necro'd it...

At any rate, I just installed some Omega 9.0 rails on my upper, and I'm curious if anyone's had any issues with the blue loctite breaking down.

I know the red is a lot more temperature-resistant, but, after some of my experiences with red loctite, I'm extremely hesitant to go near that shit.

I have not. Blue should be fine.

C4

Outlander Systems
05-05-11, 20:55
I have not. Blue should be fine.

C4

Roger that. Thank you, Sir.

FChen17213
05-05-11, 22:24
This makes me wonder if I need to use blue loctite when putting the setscrews on my Omega X back in when I clean the barrel. I didn't use blue loctite between classes and haven't had a problem....yet. Thousands of rounds without a problem yet, but this thread makes me nervous.