PDA

View Full Version : To build or to buy?

squea12
04-26-10, 12:34
I have recently gotten interested in guns, and I'm am considering getting an AR. It will really just be something to play with. It's use will consist of target shooting, varmint hunting, etc. I doubt I will shoot it a whole lot due to being in school. Would it be best to just buy something pre-built, or is it worth is to build something that isn't going to get heavy use. I feel that I'm very mechanically inclined and love building/working on stuff, so I don't feel like difficulty will be an issue.

My budget is going to be around $1000 without any optics. Either way, if I end up getting sucked into this hobby like I do most hobbies, I will end up building something more high end later down the road when time and finances allow.

sonrider657
04-26-10, 12:36
Building your own AR is invaluable for learning the intricacies of the gun and it is very simple for anyone with average mechanical ability.

bkb0000
04-26-10, 12:44
keep in mind, if you haven't thought about it already, you'll need to get, depending on what you have already, $100-$150 in tools to do the job right.

bare minimum-

good bench vise
barrel wrench for the handguard you'll use
stock wrench
receiver block, preferably barrel blocks too
you can get by with standard punch set, but a roll pin set is definitely beneficial
torque wrench is always advisable
hammer
spring-loaded punch

if you know somebody with all these, use theirs! all my AR/m4 friends come mooch off me.

add144
04-26-10, 12:53
But if you plan on being hands on and involved with the AR-style rifle family in the future, those tool with definitely be worth the investment and will come in good use.

Either way I still go with build one. As previously stated, it's actually very easy, there's plenty of online resources to help you along the way, and it is the best way to learn the weapon, how it functions, what the parts actually do, where they go, etc.

Lastly, keep in mind you'll never find that perfect, complete rifle for you...you will always want a new/different something. I bought my first rifle complete, and regretted it, because I ended up spending twice as much replacing the original parts with much better ones and/or ones that fit my personal preference.

djegators
04-26-10, 13:05
Everyone who is into ARs should at least build a lower at least once. But don't do a build to save money, do it to learn the platform, and have the parts you want.

pacrimguru
04-26-10, 13:22
if you go with a build be prepared to go over budget. the nice thing about one that is done already is that you know how much you're going to spend since there is a set price on the rifle. by building, the options and upgrades will not end.

being that it is your first one i can see arguments for both. build it so you can make it your own and know how everything goes together. or buy it and upgrade it as you go along and learn about it that way.

bottom line imo, is if you have the funds, build it... be prepared to go over $1000 though. ;)

Hoss356
04-26-10, 14:47
if you go with a build be prepared to go over budget.

Ain't that the truth, I started out with a plan to build a model one kit but as I did more and more research my build time and budget went up substantially but I ended up with a very nice rifle that's been 100% reliable and is a pleasure to shoot.

PrivateCitizen
04-26-10, 15:48
There is a 3rd option.

Assemble.

You can get quality uppers and lowers from DD, BCM, etc.

Anymore this is how I go. Pivot pin and go …

squea12
04-26-10, 15:49
Yeah, I have been leaning towards building one the whole time. The only downside to building one, IMO, is having to research more parts, but if I get hooked, I will end up learning it anyways. Buying and upper and lower for now sounds good. I still have a month or two before I'm ready to buy, so I have some time to think. Besides, I guess taking more time to pick parts will give me more time to raise money...

PA1911
04-26-10, 17:47
I just purchased my first AR and I went with a factory built Daniel Defense M4v3. I hope to do a full build in the future, but I wanted my first to be a complete. As others have said, look into getting a complete upper and lower and slapping them together. You may save a few bucks or at least get the parts you want instead of what comes on a factory gun.

Good luck, and enjoy researching your first AR!

fls9497
04-26-10, 18:32
It's really your preferrence. I built my own lower so that I can have the parts that I wanted. As for the upper, I was lucky enough to find one with the parts altogether.

Falkon
04-26-10, 18:39
I just purchased my first AR and I went with a factory built Daniel Defense M4v3. I hope to do a full build in the future, but I wanted my first to be a complete. As others have said, look into getting a complete upper and lower and slapping them together. You may save a few bucks or at least get the parts you want instead of what comes on a factory gun.

Good luck, and enjoy researching your first AR!

Nice shooter PA. I went with the Daniel Defense XVM, same rifle without all the upgrades. I wanted to start simple and customize as I go. Extremely happy with fit, finish and firing!

OP, if you love learning about how things work and making them do so, an option could be a high quality basic complete. Buy it and you can start shooting it and learn about it as you go. A thorough cleaning session will teach you how all the parts align and work together. They are big boy tinker toys aafter all. Just a suggestion.

The research, or thrill of the hunt, is all part of the enjoyment.

PA1911
04-26-10, 18:55
The research, or thrill of the hunt, is all part of the enjoyment.

I agree, then it starts all over again buying accessories:D

MookNW
04-26-10, 19:00
It's always a good idea to check the equipment exchange on this site. Bitchin' deals to be had there.

sewvacman
04-26-10, 19:24
I like to build mine personally. BUT there are too many good deals out there right now. Unless you want something specific that no one is offering as a regular build then I would buy complete for now. Buy the tools and tear it apart to learn how it should be built.

Jake Bauer
04-26-10, 19:26
Keep searching for deals.

I was going to build, then found a brand new Daniel Defense XV (complete rifle) for $850. Dont get no better than that.

Hound74
04-26-10, 19:37
BUILD IT!!!

Alex V
04-27-10, 08:21
Everyone who is into ARs should at least build a lower at least once. But don't do a build to save money, do it to learn the platform, and have the parts you want.

I bought my first AR before I knew much about them. My second one I am building from the ground up. I know if I buy the upper it will be a few bucks cheaper, but honestly, I want to learn.

With all the help and knowledge available to you on this forum there is little reason for me and perhaps even not to attempt it.

I already have the tools, most bought to work on the current AR, some I already had to work on cars.

For me the decision to build was simple. I bought the first AR and grew to know what I liked and did not like, so I was able to buy the parts I knew I wanted. I started buying the parts in December, and am about half way done.

I would sugest reading up on what people like and dont like, what works and what does not work, use this awesome resource and make your own mind up on what you want in your rifle. If it is available in a factory built gun, buy it. If its not, or you simply want to learn more, build it.

:)

VolGrad
04-27-10, 08:30
For first time ... I suggest buying a complete rifle. Play with it a while and figure out what you like/want/need. Once you have a good idea what direction you want to go ... build one.

JonnyVain
04-27-10, 10:14
Ask yourself:

Do I usually like things customized to my preferences, or does that typically not matter to me?

And:

Will I change my mind once I see all the cool toys in the pic threads?

djegators
04-27-10, 10:21
Ask yourself:

Do I usually like things customized to my preferences, or does that typically not matter to me?

And:

Will I change my mind once I see all the cool toys in the pic threads?

Also ask yourself if you don't mind those assemble yourself type things, or if you freak out over "insert piece A3 into slot B3, now put screw XDF into part DD55..." :D

Assembling a lower is quite easy, I think almost anyone can do it, but if you really don't like that sort of thing, buy a complete lower and complete upper.

tirod
04-27-10, 10:45
If you can afford to buy, then building because of a limited cash flow for the hobby isn't a problem.

But, if $50-100 a month is as much as you can allow, with a month or more dedicated to doing nothing while money comes in, you're stuck. There are lots of builders doing that. It just makes things slower.

Another consideration is after looking at all the stuff available, you discover nobody makes what you want. In which case it might be retro, non M4, or something more advanced. There are varmints, hunters, m4geries, etc galore, some things in between, not so much.

As for tools, a few basic items are all that is needed to start. A little ingenuity can get you by - a lower vice block consists of an old bad magazine clamped to a sturdy table. Yes, substitutes could scratch the parts, you make the choice going in, and execution counts for everything. Shopping Harbor Freight and flea markets for hand tools will net them at 10% of normal retail.

You can build something that suits your shooting needs, avoids the latest expensive fads, and does a good job. If anything could be recommended for a starter build, a fixed stock and handguards would offer a lot less complications and a more reliable upfront build first time. It avoids the milspec/commercial carbine tube, the overabundant adjustable stock options that are three times the cost, and completely eliminates the "which quad rail?" dilemma and it's associated cost. That will free up $300 - $500 of a budget real quick, deliver a crate of ammo to the house, and months of shooting to get in the thick of things. It will be just as effectively accurate - possibly more so with a quality barrel, which counts for more.

Point being, focus on quality internal components, not flashy external bling. As changes come later, nothing needs to be upgraded, it's still runs along, and doesn't need more cash to fix it.

What builders get to do is choose the rollmark of the lower, the type upper, where the charging handle will go and what kind, if there even will be a forward assist, how much rail they will actually need, what sights, where they mount, does the bolt carrier get plated, coated, or parkerized, is the barrel pencil, M4, recon,or heavy, what gas length, which flashhider, will the trigger be issue, Bill Thompsonized, or expensive drop in, what grip, and what color for the entire project.

Haven't even touched on which caliber . . .