PDA

View Full Version : beginer questions

brelsfor
05-07-07, 09:06
First I would like to say that this forum is a wealth of knowledge . I am a beginner when it comes to AR's and am looking to build one very soon. I have a few questions for those here that are in the know, but apologize because I am sure that I don't have all of the technical lingo down.

The local gun shop has Rock River completed lower receivers with collapsible buttstock for $260 which does not seem to be too bad of a price. I am confident that if I needed to I could figure out how to assemble the lower receiver from scratch, but the assembled ones they have seem to be an ok price and is basically what I would want. I am looking to purchase a completed upper assembly for it though. I like the feel of a longer rifle so I am looking for something with a 20 inch barrel. I am not looking for anything overly fancy, but do like the ones that have the short rail just on the top and want a removable carry handle / sights just in case I would every want to try some optics out on it. What I have found with these features is from Stag Arms. I like the model 4H, link below.

http://www.stagarms.com/righthalf.htm

What are peoples opinions of this Upper? The website does not give a lot of details. Does anyone know if the barrel is chrome lined? I have always been fanatical about cleaning my guns after every time they are fired, how important is the chrome lining? If it helps for use I mainly plan on using it for some plinking and fun. Does this sound like an ok build, or or there better options out there for what I want?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Jeff

scrh1
05-07-07, 22:24
First off welcome to the forum. I'm new here too, but have spent lots of time researching, shooting various rifles, handguns, etc.. over the years. I finally decide to take the plunge with an AR and wound up here as well as a few other forums out there for info and guidance.

- In regards to the Rock River lower, that is a good price for one that is assembled and includes the stock. I bought a stripped RRA lower iwth a RRA parts kit and put it together myself. I liked the experience and knowledge I gained from building it as I guess I like knowing how things work. I wasn't as adventurous with the upper and went with a local company ( Del-ton ). I chose them as they were local and I could put my hands on things, they also had a great deal on a custom upper /rail setup that I couldn't pass up for the even though I had no intention of getting a rail on my first build. My first choice was a complete stag upper or a CMMG upper ( Grant on this board sells them both and was extremely helpful. I suggest speaking with him whatever you may decide on). Look up some of his posts on the stag uppers and he has the pros/cons listed and what he does to rectify the issues. I thought I wanted the removable carry hande, but after really looking at one, I liked the flat top rail with a back up iron sight, and the option of mounting an eotech or other optic. If you really want the full length, then the stag looks to be a pretty decent deal. I am sure you can find many other options as well. I am pretty sure the stag is chrome lined. Good luck with your choices. Everyone here seems to be pretty helpful. -scrh1

Robb Jensen
05-09-07, 08:02
The Stag uppers are very nice.
The two things I don't like about them are:
1. they don't stake their carrier gas keys very well (but it's easy to correct, if you buy one and need it done let me know.)

2. their taper pins on their FSBs are a real bear to remove. If you don't ever plan on removing the FSB to add a FF rail or such then this isn't something you'll need to worry about.

Other than that, it's excellent stuff.