PDA

View Full Version : Vickers mag release is awesome

DeputyMend
04-26-10, 15:12
I bought a Vickers extended mag release based on recommendations I read here at M4C and I couldn’t be happier. Installation took about 30 seconds and the product works exactly as it should. I have no problem releasing the magazine without adjusting my grip now. I just wanted to add my voice to the already swelling chorus of praise for this awesome product. :)

M4arc
04-26-10, 15:15
I have them on all eight of my Glocks now and consider it to be required on any Glock. More recently I started running the new Crimson Trace LG-417 grips on my primary CCW (G19) and I can't even imagine running CT grips without the Vickers Magazine Release.

DeputyMend
04-26-10, 15:29
I have been looking hard at the CT. Do you think running an x300 with the CT grips would be gtg?

M4arc
04-26-10, 15:32
I have been looking hard at the CT. Do you think running an x300 with the CT grips would be gtg?

Hell yes dude! I ran my CT grips and an X200 in the no/low light portion of the Ken Hackathorn class this weekend and it was definitely good to go. I shot better at night than I did during the day!

I had a big problem with using a handheld flashlight but my X200 & CT grips were the heat!

DeputyMend
04-26-10, 15:42
Well, I may have to try it. I caught alot of shit from some guys about having a weapon mounted light on my handgun until it came time to use sims and I was actually hitting in the dark and the guys using the FBI technique were missing every shot. I imagine a laser would help even more.

ROCKET20_GINSU
04-26-10, 18:35
Deleted...sorry off topic

SWATcop556
04-27-10, 01:48
The Vickers mag release is mandatory on all of my Glocks.

fls9497
04-27-10, 02:36
I would like to try this. I only found out about the Vickers mag release after I had already bought a competition mag release from Glockstore.com. It works fine for me since I'm not LEO and I don't carry my G23.

NCPatrolAR
04-27-10, 09:22
I've been using the LAV mag catches since they first came out. Great piece of gear and mandatory on all of my Glocks (3).

VolGrad
04-27-10, 10:15
Any issues with rubbing/snagging/interfering with holsters? If not, I might have to try one.

BMWguy206
04-27-10, 10:16
What's the difference between the Glock extended mag release and the Vickers?

VolGrad
04-27-10, 10:17

Brownell's descrip says Vickers is 3/32" longer than a std GLOCK.

EDIT: Updated this post as I didn't see the "extended" part in what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

C4IGrant
04-27-10, 10:19

Length. The Vickers is shorter. Think of it as a mid-length design.

C4

Palmguy
04-27-10, 10:49
Also the Vickers mag release has filleted edges. Minor detail but it's nice.

I echo everyone else who has said they are a mandatory install on all Glocks. It really is just the right size.

Chameleox
04-27-10, 10:57
Length. The Vickers is shorter. Think of it as a mid-length design.

C4

This, plus slightly radiused or beveled. I find that its a big improvement, and I have them on my 2 duty guns (22 and 27).
No holster fit issues; the G22 goes in a 6365 or 6280 with no issues. The 27 rides in a Tranzitt holster on my vest. Both have Raven holsters for plainclothes and off duty. No issues there either.

Bit of trivia: at my last armorer's course, the instructor said that Glock made a short run of mag releases that were in between the stock and extended sizes for a government contract. IIRC, he said that the contract stipulated that the special mag releases wouldn't be offered outside of that agency's contract. Can anyone with more knowledge of this confirm or deny? Just curious :confused:

cathellsk
04-27-10, 11:04
Bit of trivia: at my last armorer's course, the instructor said that Glock made a short run of mag releases that were in between the stock and extended sizes for a government contract. IIRC, he said that the contract stipulated that the special mag releases wouldn't be offered outside of that agency's contract. Can anyone with more knowledge of this confirm or deny? Just curious :confused:

Sounds like the FBI mag release I've heard about. Your description of short run and not offered outside the agency would explain the confusion about it.

I also run a Vickers on my 2 Glock 19s. Love 'em! They make a world of difference. Can't put them in my Gen4 17 & 22 or I'd have one in them too. :)

Chameleox
04-27-10, 11:29
Thanks.

cathellsk
04-27-10, 11:42
Thanks.

Here's a link that talks about it.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=91258
Not a whole lot of info, the typical "I've never seen it so it doesn't exist" bs. Some guys telling him its the Vickers mag release.

BMWguy206
04-27-10, 11:44
I have a Glock 35 that came with the factory extended mag release but I just bought a Glock 17 and now I'm going to buy the Vickers mag release. Thanks for the info.

NCPatrolAR
04-27-10, 12:55
Any issues with rubbing/snagging/interfering with holsters?

Nope; no issues that I've yet to see.

John_Wayne777
04-27-10, 14:13
True story:

I actually bought a 9mm Glock because I got a free Vickers mag release in a class and I needed another Glock to put it in....and I don't like Glocks.

It seemed so logical walking into the gun store. "Well I can't let this cool piece of kit go to waste, can I?" :D

Joe R.
04-27-10, 14:16
Actually the "FBI" mag release came about after the LAV release was on the market. The FBI release does not have the radiused edges.

ETA: That's a pretty marginal excuse there JW...but hey, if it works for you go with it! ;-)

cathellsk
04-27-10, 23:12
Actually the "FBI" mag release came about after the LAV release was on the market. The FBI release does not have the radiused edges.

I didn't realize it was that new, thought it was older. Thanks for the info.

Jay Cunningham
04-27-10, 23:17
We have them on both of our G-Lock 19s...

SWATcop556
04-27-10, 23:21
True story:

I actually bought a 9mm Glock because I got a free Vickers mag release in a class and I needed another Glock to put it in....and I don't like Glocks.

It seemed so logical walking into the gun store. "Well I can't let this cool piece of kit go to waste, can I?" :D

I have a spare one in my parts bin right now. You just gave me a great idea. And I'm off tomorrow!

fourXfour
04-27-10, 23:26
I put one on my duty 22 when it was first released. I just came into a 17C and I put one on it as well. The LG417's and X300 are pretty nice as well.

lil'Zeus
04-28-10, 00:06
I would like to try one out on my new 19 RTF, are they easy to install, or should I have a Glock Armorer do the job?

thanks
Shane

BB01
04-28-10, 00:38
I would like to try one out on my new 19 RTF, are they easy to install, or should I have a Glock Armorer do the job?

thanks
Shane

It's very easy...1 minute job easy.

YVK
04-28-10, 00:55
One big question (for me) that remains to be answered is if this excellent piece of equipment will be made for gen. 4 Glocks. I think I am one of few people who are not impressed with "new and improved " mag release units on gen 4 G's.

cfulback32
04-28-10, 03:40
It's very easy...1 minute job easy.

Agreed, pretty easy. There should be some good videos on youtube demonstrating how as well as pictorials if you google for them. I did it the day I got my 19 with very little glock experience at the time.

lil'Zeus
04-28-10, 09:39
Thanks on the install tips, I have put in extended slide release levers before, so I assume this wouldn't be that much harder if any at all. I just didn't want to get away from myself!

Thanks
shane

Assy Mcgee
04-28-10, 12:17
i like mine too.

however, i had to order a second one, as the first was causing the the mags to fit extremely loose, and release with very little pressure. the slot where the mag release spring fits into must have been formed too long.

the second one i ordered works perfectly. :)

now i'm stuck with the bad one. does larry do returns on those?

SmokeJumper
05-05-10, 14:31
After the positive feedback I read here and from a colleague that carries Glocks as a Game Warden, I ordered the Vickers mag. release for my G23. In fact my colleague informed me that they most likely will be installing them on their new 4th. generation G22's. I'm gonna try it out and then maybe on the G27. Good Post

Assy Mcgee
05-05-10, 14:39
After the positive feedback I read here and from a colleague that carries Glocks as a Game Warden, I ordered the Vickers mag. release for my G23. In fact my colleague informed me that they most likely will be installing them on their new 4th. generation G22's. I'm gonna try it out and then maybe on the G27. Good Post

they don't fit into the 4th gens.

unless larry decides to make a new design.

Drew78
05-05-10, 17:48
Where is a good online place to buy these? Will they work on a 26?

Thanks!

-Drew

Assy Mcgee
05-05-10, 18:03

Thanks!

-Drew

brownell's is where i got mine:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25364/Product/VICKERS_EXTENDED_MAG_RELEASE_for_GLOCK_reg_

yep, they work on the glock 26 :)

SmokeJumper
05-05-10, 19:20
they don't fit into the 4th gens.

unless larry decides to make a new design.

Yep, we just found this out after a phone call, thanks for your info.

Larry Vickers
05-05-10, 21:40
Thanx for all the great feedback on my mag catch - I am very happy with them and they will spoil you - try going back to a stock mag catch after getting used to one!!

Back in the day I sent some to an FBI contact I had who showed them to some guys in the 'vault' at Quantico

They liked the idea but instead of buying mine they went to Glock and had them made - two FBI guys privy to the situation (one was my FBI contact) told me with a borderline smartass attitude at SHOT show a few years back - needless to say my blood pressure rose considerably but I kept my cool - and mentally put them in the 'Do not urinate on in case of spontaneous combustion' catagory

Glad to say Glock screwed it up -sharp edges on the part and limited distribution - so it kept the door wide open for me and Tangodown to have a winner in the first model and bring out a larger frame version - G21/G20 size

We are going to look hard at doing an improved gen 4 mag catch also

Stand by for info on that

Cheers

LAV

rushca01
05-05-10, 22:03
Do to all the responses in this thread I just ordered one for my g19 from BCM. Can't wait to try it out, the stock one is too short and a PIA.

SWATcop556
05-05-10, 22:07
Do to all the responses in this thread I just ordered one for my g19 from BCM. Can't wait to try it out, the stock one is too short and a PIA.

It will complete your journey into manhood. Right up there with beer and women. I don't own a Glock without one. :cool:

uwe1
05-05-10, 23:35

Thanks!

-Drew

I just purchased 4 of these from gandrtactical.com for a very good price. All of them installed very easily with a noticeable improvement in handling.

rushca01
05-08-10, 11:16
Just got mine in today from BCM. Installed in less than 30 seconds after watching a short video on you tube. First impression is great!

canucksvt
05-08-10, 21:09
I use a Vickers mag release in my carry pistol (2nd gen G19) and could not be happier with it. It definitely helps me with my mag changing capabilities during USPSA matches. I need to get one for my G21SF as well.

jrmymiles
05-09-10, 08:13
Anytime I buy a Glock the Vickers mag release goes right on the same sales ticket.

SmokeJumper
05-09-10, 21:41
Got mine in the mail. You guys were right on as usual, I installed it myself with ease! Great addition, anyone see any issues with it on a G27 for ankle carry?

SWATcop556
05-09-10, 21:50
Got mine in the mail. You guys were right on as usual, I installed it myself with ease! Great addition, anyone see any issues with it on a G27 for ankle carry?

No issues with it on my G26 but I only ankle carry when I absolutely have to.

SmokeJumper
05-09-10, 23:12
No issues with it on my G26 but I only ankle carry when I absolutely have to.

Right on, shoulda ordered 2 then.........Thanks

misanthropist
05-09-10, 23:17
I can't say I have a Vickers release, but I do have a Glock extended release which has been taken down to Vickers height.

I picked up the extended release on an order of other parts from a company who didn't have the VIckers. After running it for a bit, I decided it was just too long and took it down a bit on a belt sander, then heated up a file a bit with a torch and re-textured the surface.

When I finally got it exactly how I wanted it, I ended up comparing it to a friend's glock with the Vickers release...virtually identical.

So you can do like I did and buy the Glock one, then spend three range trips and an hour of monkeying time getting it right, or you can buy the Vickers and have it be right in the first place.

I will not be buying another Glock one, personally!