PDA

View Full Version : Has LMT piston been "tested"?

juventus206
04-26-10, 18:02
Does anyone know if there has been a "torture test" or "over the beach" test conducted on LMT's piston weapon? I've looked around but haven't had much luck. I'm deciding on whether to get the LMT or LWRC. So far I really like the LMT however, the lack of anyone attempting to run the LMT into the ground might be a deciding factor for me.

Thanks in advance.

J

leopard hound
04-27-10, 12:17
i have 1500 rounds through mine so far with no malfunctions whatsoever but i wouldn't call my range sessions torturous.........

Magic_Salad0892
04-27-10, 13:47
The LMT is good to go, in that aspect IMO.

But I'd be more comfortable recommending LWRCi to you, just because I know they work, I have more experience with them, and they use better materials and coatings. NiCorr, Nickel Boron. And their more accurate, and almost a full 2dBs quieter with a suppressor IMHO.

So... M6A3. :)

LMT 8-10
LWRCi 10-10

I still want to get a Piston MRP CQB though.

juventus206
04-27-10, 20:40
Thanks for the reply:) I was leaning towards the LMT due to the amount of features that I'd get for around the same amount of money that I'd invest in an LWRC. Though I might never change the barrel on the LMT, just getting the option is pretty cool. That being said, I just came to the realization that an sbr with a suppressor, or even a Noveske "Pig", might not be feasible due to where I have to access the piston system on an LMT.

I swear I never thought that this would be such a hard decision!

Oniak
04-27-10, 22:36
If possible, try to actually hold and check out both in person before you decide. I had an M6A2. It has since been sold. I currently have an LMT piston. Both are very nice rifles. Both have their own strong points.

Magic_Salad0892
04-28-10, 05:19
If you're going to get an LWRCi get an M6A1 or M6A3.

You'll get the best value out of those. IMHO.

^^ In your opinion what were the strong suits of your LWRCi and LMT rifles?

jbo723
04-28-10, 20:43
Thanks for the reply:) I was leaning towards the LMT due to the amount of features that I'd get for around the same amount of money that I'd invest in an LWRC. Though I might never change the barrel on the LMT, just getting the option is pretty cool. That being said, I just came to the realization that an sbr with a suppressor, or even a Noveske "Pig", might not be feasible due to where I have to access the piston system on an LMT.

I swear I never thought that this would be such a hard decision!

No problems at all with accessing the piston for maintenance..
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/jboy723/IMG_4631.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/jboy723/IMG_4632.jpg

and for shits and giggles, my LWRC's...
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/jboy723/Gun%20Shit/IMG_4610.jpg
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww359/jboy723/IMG_3481.jpg

juventus206
04-28-10, 22:29
To answer the question:
LWRC- I love the CHF barrel, the adjustable gas system (at least in the A3), and quiet frankly, the fact that I can find information on "torture test" and the like carry weight (at least with me).

LMT-The MRP is really cool, the QD barrel system, and the "ease" of accessing the piston system for maintenance. The only reason that I haven't gone forward with the LMT is the lack of information that I can find on the system in regards to being run hard.

jbo- Those are some awesome systems, if I had the cash I'd get both aswell! Which one whould be your "go to" rifle? Whatever I decide, this will be my go-to weapon.

Thanks again for the replies,

J

graffex
04-28-10, 23:17
You should ask yourself if you really want a piston AR and why IMO.

juventus206
04-28-10, 23:35
Yeah, I went down that road. Though I'm not about to get into the whole "DI vs Piston" debate, I feel that a piston system is what will fit my needs (read "wants"). I looked at other piston platforms, however, for some reason or another, I keep coming back to these two.

Taran
04-28-10, 23:38
If you don't mind, I only just heard about piston operated ARs today. I'd really appreciate a quick rundown of what their advantages over the gas powered ARs are...
Edit: I don't want to start a debate over which is better, just a few high points and low points about the pistons.

Magic_Salad0892
04-29-10, 00:24
The only things I don't like about the LMT are the monolithic profile, and having to replace the entire upper receiver if I damage the rail, and the adjustable gas system is really obnoxious and high profile, it gets in the way a bit. (To me at least. I'm weird.)

Also, on the LWRCi M6A3 I like that it has a front BUIS built into the gas block.