PDA

View Full Version : mmmm..... like fine wine and cheese....... 1992 vintage MRE

Ring
04-26-10, 22:17
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5467/paintball102ih0.jpg (http://img201.imageshack.us/i/paintball102ih0.jpg/)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2396/paintball101hp9.jpg

still tasty...... as long as you dont eat the brown tabasco...

i miss these when they were still 30$ a case :(

obucina
04-26-10, 22:18
my uncle got me an assorted case for christmas when I was 6....I still love the chicken and rice.

l3mon
04-26-10, 22:18
doing some rotationing?

Ring
04-26-10, 22:20
i use them for backpacking

DaBears_85
04-26-10, 22:29
I always liked MRE's. The newer ones anyway with the flameless heating bags. I'm assuming those come with the little flame heater who's name escapes me at the moment. After 2 months straight they leave something to be desired but hell... for what they are they're pretty good. And at 3000 calories a pop you only need to eat one a day.

jwistuber
04-26-10, 22:34
I have some that are from 96. how long do they last?

the Bamster
04-27-10, 00:45
mmmmmmmmmmm....................gorilla biscuits! For those not in the military it that time they were the chocolicious waxy brown covered cookie or concrete type substance that only a gorilla could eat. Beeeeeeeelieve me MRES have improved.......... nothing like passing that sinderblock after an extended stay in the field. They were suckolicious in 92 and I have no reason to believe they have improved with age. I have to admit there were a few in the case that wasnt half bad, the tobasco was a big help when it was introduced.

Honu
04-27-10, 02:08
oldest MRE I ever had :)

old civil way hardtack
tasted kinda musty ?

tried some old WWII rations !!!! YIKES not good at all no clue as to how it was stored most of the years but was NASTY did not swallow it

DaBears_85
04-27-10, 03:59
oldest MRE I ever had :)

old civil way hardtack
tasted kinda musty ?

tried some old WWII rations !!!! YIKES not good at all no clue as to how it was stored most of the years but was NASTY did not swallow it

Wow... hardtack, forgot about that stuff. Got a chance to try it once at a recreation of a revolutionary war era army camp. I can't even really begin to quantify the taste of that. Seriously, how do you describe that? Regardless, I bet it wasn't too bad during that brutal winter at Valley Forge considering some didn't even have shoes.

bubabootie
04-27-10, 05:18
army rations are designed to taste like puke. It helps develope and drive that "suck it up and drive on" mentality. You eat it because you need the calories, not because it tastes good.

If we wanted our food to taste good, we'd be the air force.

perna
04-27-10, 05:31
40 year old c-rat (http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=12976)

DaBears_85
04-27-10, 16:45
army rations are designed to taste like puke. It helps develope and drive that "suck it up and drive on" mentality. You eat it because you need the calories, not because it tastes good.

If we wanted our food to taste good, we'd be the air force.

It doesn't taste like puke though, I don't think anybody was saying that it does.

JHC
04-27-10, 17:17
40 year old c-rat (http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=12976)

That's what I'm talkin' about. Fine quisine like in the '70's eating 20 year old "pork slices in spiced sauce". To my palate, it was so bad it would gag a maggot. ROFL

GermanSynergy
04-27-10, 17:27
MRE poundcake was awesome.... So was the pork chow mein... :cool:

kalikraven
04-27-10, 17:30
I was both active AF and Army and I can't complain about the food that we had at Ft Carson. It was no better or worse than AF food.

F_G
04-27-10, 17:45
If we wanted our food to taste good, we'd be the air force.Yes, we Air Force boys were spoiled. Never forget seafood Fridays at Elmendorf AFB, better than any resturant I ever ate in. :D

l3mon
04-27-10, 17:46
Wow... hardtack, forgot about that stuff. Got a chance to try it once at a recreation of a revolutionary war era army camp. I can't even really begin to quantify the taste of that. Seriously, how do you describe that? Regardless, I bet it wasn't too bad during that brutal winter at Valley Forge considering some didn't even have shoes.

I make hard tack for my BOB.. lasts in those vacuum bags for YEARS!

Quiet-Matt
04-27-10, 18:27
I miss the slime/jelly on the ham slice. Save the TP from every MRE and by the time you could actually manage to sh!@ the brick you might have enough. :D

Shamdawg
04-27-10, 21:16
I made $40 bucks on a bet once that I couldn't eat all the crackers in an MRE without drinking water with it. Just as I was about to loose my money, I accidentally puked stomach bile from inhaling the cracker bits. I managed to keep my mouth closed, the puke dissolved the crackers in my mouth and then swallowed everything.

I was now $40 richer. Those were fond memories from the field....

Honu
04-27-10, 21:18

the hardtack I has was over 100 years old :) it was original stuff

tried the recreation stuff also :) did not taste so OLD :)

Honu
04-27-10, 21:19
someone remind me ?

what was the stuff you would do with the creamer and the jelly or something like that ???

I am to old to remember that mix

CyberM4
04-27-10, 21:34
The good ole MREs. Heck I have one in my Ruck from the 80s. Chicken ala MSG.

Ring
04-27-10, 22:34
someone remind me ?

what was the stuff you would do with the creamer and the jelly or something like that ???

I am to old to remember that mix

ranger cookies?..... creamer and sugar mixed and "baked"

PdxMotoxer
04-27-10, 23:02
my older brother used to keep a case of these in his camper.

we would sit by the campfire and play.. guess what it's supposed to be.

I do admit there were some that were kinda good.
late 80's ish

DaBears_85
04-27-10, 23:35
The newer ones are good. When I was in basic, my company prefered eating them over UPU. I'd have to say either chicken noodle or the spicy pienna (spelling?) pasta were my favorite. They were all pretty good unless you showed up late to formation and your squad had already picked over the good ones and you were stuck with some vegetarian type one. Even then, the veggie ones had the most contraband in them (coffee, candy e.t.c.)

Honu
04-28-10, 00:08
ranger cookies?..... creamer and sugar mixed and "baked"

yeah that was it :)

Hyprlite2007
04-28-10, 03:48
I dont know about the old stuff but the new MRE's are pretty good, Chillimac is still something I would cook over a steak dinner.

DaBears_85
04-28-10, 05:05
I dont know about the old stuff but the new MRE's are pretty good, Chillimac is still something I would cook over a steak dinner.

Yeah that is a good one, it's awesome with the tabasco. I love spicy foods/hot sauce so that little bit of tabasco always reminded me of home, as stupid as it sounds. Glad to be back where I can have as much as my heart desires!

As far as the MRE chilli-mac over the steak dinner? I dunno, that's a tough one... :D

Littlelebowski
04-28-10, 06:51
Cherry nut cake..... I'd kill for some of that.

CyberM4
04-28-10, 10:27
Cherry nut cake..... I'd kill for some of that.

The amazing thing was all the cakes looked the same. But tasted what they where. That was my favorite cake.

CyberM4
04-28-10, 10:27
Ranger pudding.

Hyprlite2007
04-29-10, 03:18
As far as the MRE chilli-mac over the steak dinner? I dunno, that's a tough one... :D

Its quicker and easier for sure, I cant wait for the zombie attack so I can bring them out and prove their worth haha.