PDA

View Full Version : LED Replacement Head for Surefire E2D

1SFG
05-07-07, 12:56
Has anyone converted an E2D to LED using the Surefire replacement head? I noticed the replacement head comes in at $129 - the E2D itself is $110 or so (That's about what I paid for it). Curious as to the fit, quality of the LED beam, brightness and overall battery life.

C4IGrant
05-07-07, 14:27
Has anyone converted an E2D to LED using the Surefire replacement head? I noticed the replacement head comes in at $129 - the E2D itself is $110 or so (That's about what I paid for it). Curious as to the fit, quality of the LED beam, brightness and overall battery life.

I would personally hold out for the CREE LED's as they are the latest and greatest thing. SF is going to start using these LED's, but is a somewhat slow process.

C4

NickB
05-21-07, 23:03
After about 10 beers at SHOT, Drake and I started making hybrids out of the Surefire arsenal we had at the hotel. IMO, if you want and LED, pay the extra few dollars and pick up the whole L4. I currently carry an E2D on a daily basis, but I plan on picking up an L4 in the very near future. I love the E2D, but it destroys my jeans, and isn't as bright as I'd like.

PALADIN-hgwt
06-09-07, 17:57
xxxxx

UVvis
06-10-07, 13:40
I'm a flashlight geek...

The KL1's have an optic and a good runtime. For a long running LED light, they aren't bad. I'd figure 2-4 hours before it starts dimming. The nice thing with these is that you can really suck all the power out of the batteries and get some useful life out of otherwise dead cells. The downside is that the optics don't have a ton of spill light, so only the beam is the most useful part of the light.

The KL4/L4's have a reflector, and a big powerful LED. The beam is more similar to what you get with the regular beam, but it doesn't project as far as the standard bulbs. They get hot after using them a while too. The nice thing is that they run about the same amount of time, but when the batteries don't have the umph left to power the circuit, they drop to dim and hang there till the batteries are sucked dry. These are a pretty decent alternative to the incan bulbs.

As for upgraded LED powered lights, it will probably take surefire a while to use up all their Luxeons before going to newer technology LED's. They buy in huge bulk to get the LED's lower priced.

SuicideHz
06-10-07, 14:00
Wow! That's "lower priced?" But then again, it's SF and they have a pretty good warranty. It's just a pain to explain to them through email which part of your X200A you need a replacement for. I've gotten 4 latches that I don't want and ZERO pic rail adapters that I DO want...

9MX
06-12-07, 18:52
I love the E2D, but it destroys my jeans, and isn't as bright as I'd like.

And leather car seats too:(

NickB
06-13-07, 02:49
And leather car seats too:(

Haha! My Xterra hasn't experienced that yet, but the X5 knows what you mean!