PDA

View Full Version : Entry level

SevenSixTwo
04-27-10, 09:05
I am thinking about getting into precision shooting. I've done the riflemans quarten mile (500yrds) and wanted to try shooting out to 1000yrds. I don't want anything too fancy since I am just starting out and don't have any formal training. I will be taking long distance shooting classes out at Badlands Tactical in southern Oklahoma sometime this year (I hope). I wanted some advice on my own rifle and scope setup. I would like to keep in under $1500, the closer to $1000 it is the better. I have a friend who wants to get rid of his old rifle (I say old, the thing only has a hundred or so rounds through it) since he just purchased a new FN SPR. His old rifle is a remington 700p with an hs precision stock, harris bipod, timmeny trigger (I think it timmeny, might be jewel, I know it has a trigger job), and a leupold markIV scope. All this for $1300. Good deal or should I just get my own setup, and if so what should I be looking for?

dcs12345
04-27-10, 09:15
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me at $1300.

If you want to get your own setup on a budget, look at the SPS varmint or Tactical. You will need to replace the stock on both of the SPS rifles (I have the SPS Tactical and replaced the stock with a B&C Lightweight Tactical). So, after you have replaced the stock, trigger, buy a harris bipod, 20 MOA mount + rings, and finally decent glass, you would be most likely spending more than $1300.

carbinero
04-27-10, 14:05
Sounds like you have the makings of a very good deal. Isn't the MarkIV worth like $1,000?

Chameleox
05-03-10, 09:04
That does sound like a sweet deal.

I picked up a 700 PSS a few months ago for $1000. Scope (replaced), case, sling, harris, and 100 rounds included. This, and my last gun buy (used M&P 15T with free ACOG/doc) were good deals. Yours might even be better.

I say its a GO.

Whootsinator
05-03-10, 14:39
You may want to look into the Sniper Central Entry Level Package. It's pretty hard to beat...

http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml

If you decide to go with this package, make sure you register as a member at Sniper Central. It costs $10/year and will save you $25 on the purchase of your rifle.