PDA

View Full Version : A couple Vickers questions

locknload223
04-27-10, 10:00
So after alot of reasearch I've decided to try the Vickers sling. I do have a couple questions that I couldn't find the answers to. The sling will be used as a general purpose sling.

To pad or not to pad. Obviously the padded versions will be more comfortable but are there any downsides? Possibly more difficult to transition, too stiff, etc?

The other question, is it worth the extra $15 or so to get the machined adjuster or is the acetal ok for general use? I won't be hanging from blackhawks with it but I don't like things breaking either. It seems the acetal adjuster would maybe slide easier being plastic.

Anyway, I just wanted a little specific input before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

mark5pt56
04-27-10, 10:26
I prefer the non padded version, plastic slider is fine, have both. More adjusted range with the non padded and weight isn't a concern for me with it. I also take off the QR buckles and direct connect to the QD swivels or side sling adapter and/or rear stock.

rychencop
04-27-10, 10:37
I prefer the non padded version, plastic slider is fine, have both. More adjusted range with the non padded and weight isn't a concern for me with it. I also take off the QR buckles and direct connect to the QD swivels or side sling adapter and/or rear stock.

this...i love my vickers.

lethal dose
04-27-10, 10:41
I have both the plastic and the combat versions. The cheaper one uses a slippery nylon and it seems to slip out of adjustment slightly under heavy use. Great slings... I would recommend the combat version, though.

locknload223
04-28-10, 12:38
Thanks for the replies. Still trying to decide. I like how this guy modded his. I won't be using a QD mount for the front so moving the sling's QD up front would work well.
I'm sure you guys have seen this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-byR-1ywp7c

I have both the plastic and the combat versions. The cheaper one uses a slippery nylon and it seems to slip out of adjustment slightly under heavy use. Great slings... I would recommend the combat version, though.

By combat model, do you mean metal adjuster? If so, are there any other benefits to the combat version? Thanks.

d90king
04-28-10, 12:53
Personally I prefer the padded version . I have found in a class environment where you are humping your rifle for 8-10 hours a day that the extra padding seems to go a long way. I also use the plastic buckle ones and have not had any issues at all.

I am 6' 1" and 180 and found that I needed to cut off a few inches for a better fit and less strap flapping... I burned the edges and it is as good as new and fits perfect.;)

jumpthestack
04-28-10, 23:18
I have the padded version that I use with my shotgun. The padding definitely helps for a heavier gun. Do you need the padding for an AR? Not really but it doesn't hurt anything aside from costing more.

The plastic buckles are fine. They're plenty sturdy enough for normal use. I could see maybe having a problem if you slammed the buckle in a car door or something, but just don't do that.

johnson
04-29-10, 07:43
Are the padded and non padded versions the same length? I used a non padded VCAS last weekend and even with the adjustment all the way it was a little too long.

Surf
04-29-10, 13:58
I like the padded slings for use without any ballistic gear.

I used to buy the non padded type slings for wearing gear as our old set ups didn't have horse collars and the padded types used to turn on edge and irritate my neck with prolonged use. We now have new armor with horse collars so I only buy padded now.

I do run QD end plates and tend to buy Noveske or DD plates. That doesn't mean I always run off the endplate, sometimes I run off the stock. I also set up my Vickers for one to two point conversion with a buckle detach besides just the QD sockets.

Failure2Stop
04-29-10, 14:23
In a full armor package with a neck guard I don't notice much difference between the padded and unpadded. However, once I go slick or with a plate carrier or armor without neck protector I like the padded version more, especially after my neck gets sunburned. There is less adjustment in the padded version, as Mark pointed out, but I use the ajuster to tighten instead of loosen, so I really don't mind all that much.

I like the acetal adjuster better due to the lower cost, less noise, and less wear on receiver finish.

Just my personal preferences, they are both great slings.