PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut-legal ARs?

DouglasW
04-27-10, 16:54
So it turns out I'm moving to Connecticut this summer from Colorado for work, and I've been searching through M4carbine.net to see what my AR options are with the CT AWB. I'm pretty new to ARs -- I just bought a Colt 6920 last year, which I know I cannot bring with me without significant neutering.

I am looking for a complete .223 16" AR with either a carbine length (e.g. Colt MT6400c) or mid-length gas system (perhaps a Noveske Light Recce, Basic, with non-collapsible stock?) that is Connecticut-legal and comparable in quality to the 6920.

Suggestions?

Are Noveske, LMT, etc. ARs legal in Connecticut since they aren't made by Colt and aren't named "AR15"? I've read the Connecticut laws posted in other threads here and it looks like they still must not have a collapsible stock or M203 notch or bayonet lug, right?

Thanks.

30 cal slut
04-28-10, 10:34
Douglas,

Sorry I didn't get to this post sooner.

I believe you may bring your Colt 6920 with you. Only the Colt AR15 and the Colt AR15 Sporter are banned by name.

However, you may NOT bring your 6920 lower attached to your upper. Either plan on storing the upper somewhere else, or lock it up. Keep 'em separate (disassembled and out of sight). Suggestion: prior to moving, ship your 6920 upper to yourself and keep it well away from your lower.

The best option for you is to purchase a complete upper and have it modified without the offending features (bayo lug and A2 flash hider). One way to do this is to purchase a separate complete upper for your 6920 (I strongly recommend BCM) and have it modified. I suggest you send it to JoJo's Gun Works (Southington, CT), which will mill off the bayo lug, and permanently attached their CSP muzzle brake/flash enhancer :D. JoJo's works on all of the rifles for the CT State Police. The CSP muzzle brake looks just like an A2 flash hider.

Additionally, you can have JoJo's permanently pin your retractable stock of choice (such as a Magpul CTR). Make a mental note to remember which stock position you want it to be frozen in.

Prices are about $100 for the bayo neuter and muzzle brake work. Another $30 or so for the stock pin job. Obviously, you supply the parts.

http://www.jojosgunworks.com/

Call John or Jody. They do a LOT of this type of work and they are very good at it. They would be happy to take your stuff in the mail and then ship it out to you too.

Here is a build that JoJo's did for me. It began as a fugly stock Colt MTC with hideous pinned but not permanently attached muzzle brake. It looks nice, shoots like a top, and I've actually taken it to carbine classes with me.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/30calslut/build2.jpg

The other way around this is to buy a dedicated "Pre-Ban" lower receiver for your 6920 upper. Any lower that is NOT a Colt AR15 or Colt AR15 sporter, that was manufactured prior to Sep 1994, can have as many evil features as you want. Popular makes of so-called pre-ban lowers include Bushmaster, Eagle, and EA (Essential Arms). They're not cheap, so if you can scrounge one up before moving here, it might save you some money and aggravation.
-slut

So it turns out I'm moving to Connecticut this summer from Colorado for work, and I've been searching through M4carbine.net to see what my AR options are with the CT AWB. I'm pretty new to ARs -- I just bought a Colt 6920 last year, which I know I cannot bring with me without significant neutering.

I am looking for a complete .223 16" AR with either a carbine length (e.g. Colt MT6400c) or mid-length gas system (perhaps a Noveske Light Recce, Basic, with non-collapsible stock?) that is Connecticut-legal and comparable in quality to the 6920.

Suggestions?

Are Noveske, LMT, etc. ARs legal in Connecticut since they aren't made by Colt and aren't named "AR15"? I've read the Connecticut laws posted in other threads here and it looks like they still must not have a collapsible stock or M203 notch or bayonet lug, right?

Thanks.

2nd.amendment
04-28-10, 21:36
Douglas,
I can definitely sympathize . . . I am making the same move this summer, except from one state west of CO.

I have been reading up on the laws and weighing the options for weeks and none of the options are really very appealing. It is either have an upper/lower combination that probably isn't your ideal or spend a lot on a preban lower.

If you decide to go the preban direction (my preference, so I don't have to compromise on the upper or stock), be ready to buy at a moments notice. The prebans go very quickly, especially when one in nice shape pops up.

On second thought ;), don't look for preban lowers, I haven't bought one yet.

30 cal slut
04-29-10, 06:51
if you do get a pre-ban lower, and it's messed up ... spend the extra $$$ to have it cerakoted.