PDA

View Full Version : New carbine, new bench, new rest, new range!

mncarbine
04-27-10, 18:13
And new me :) (picture link at end of diatribe)

Recently I became re-enamored with all things that go bang. One of the things I got was my first AR style gun. The closest thing I had previously was a SKS (you can laugh) that I shot maybe 50 rounds through. Had it back when you could buy them for about $75.

Recently I bought a RRA LAR-15. 16" chromed 1:9 barrel, Dominator 2 rear sight, etc. Prior to today I have only shot 10 rounds in my front yard to make sure it function properly. Between then (a week ago) and today, I made some target stands, a shooting bench, picked up a shooting rest, and got some doodads for the gun. Thought I would show you my first futile attempt to shoot the carbine.

I set up the AR on the new Caldwell Lead Solo rifle rest. It arrived today, just in time to try out the new bench. I found some shooting bench plans online which I modified to make my bench. I expanded the size of the bench, routed the edges to make them smoother, and added an umbrella for my comfort :)

I had picked up a case of PMC .223 55gr ammo so I thought I would use it to learn the gun and break it in, if there is such a thing :)

I realized when I got out to the field I had forgotten to bring my targets :confused: so I drew some crude targets on the cardboard. I then went out to my new shooting bench, leveled it, and set up the shooting rest. Added the umbella, put a magazine in the gun, and was ready to go. BTW, I should also mention that I used a nylon strap to strap the rest to the bench instead of using a 25# weight. I probably needed to tighten the strap more as it didn't entirely do the job. I could actually bolt the rest to the bench if I so chose...will brainstorm that later.

Anyway, I pulled up into position and quickly realized that my eyes were not good enough to see the sight and the target or even the target, not focusing on the sight. The blade basically covered an area that looked like 6 or more inches on the target. Couldn't fathom how you ever get 1" MOA when the sighting mechanism is so crude.

My Bushnell 4200 3-9X40 arrived today, but my Burris scope mount hasn't even shipped.:( My gun came with the Dominator 2, already configured. I don't intend to use it as intended, for an EOTech, so I bought the Burris and scope to use instead of the Dominator with an EOTech. The Dominator comes with an A2 style rear sight which I was able to use with the front flip sight.

Once I get the scope mount, I will be doing some ammo testing. I already have and have on order about 15 different brands/grains to see what works best for my configuration. I will continue to buy and test other brands/grains as I like doing that sort of thing :)

Will be attending the Appleseed class soon so I hope my iron sight performance will improve :)

Lew

Check here for pictures:

Golden Pond Range (http://goldenpondfarm.com/shooting_range/index.html)