PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Hide

Ruff Shod
04-27-10, 21:44
Most of my weapons are kept safe in my vault. I keep my 1911 handy and usually my riot gun or carbine close.

The reason for this discussion......

Do you have a hidden place to keep your weapons close, unseen, protected, safe from kids, etc?

I am getting a new A/C unit and it will require a new intake location. The old intake went thru a 1' deep void in the wall. This void is within arms reach from where I sleep. It would be a perfect place to build a hidden cabinet that could hold my carbine, 12 ga. and 1911.

Does anybody have a similar set-up like this?

(hope this is the right forum)

Flight-ER-Doc
04-28-10, 09:02
We have a couple of these scattered around the house, hidden from plain view:

http://www.amazon.com/HOMAK-Homak%C2%AE-Wall-Gun-Safe/dp/B0017KL254/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1272463318&sr=8-3

mattjmcd
04-28-10, 11:16
...but could stand to have such a setup. Thanks for posting.

Ruff Shod
04-28-10, 22:13

http://www.amazon.com/HOMAK-Homak%C2%AE-Wall-Gun-Safe/dp/B0017KL254/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1272463318&sr=8-3

Thats what Im talkin about. How hard is it to get into?

thunderinms
04-29-10, 07:39
In addition to the in-wall sage posted here, get one of the quick open pistol safes to keep a ready arm at hand. You take point with the pistol (ours has a laser) and have your wife open the safes to get to the long guns. I keep a cheap 12 gauge riot gun with the mag tube loaded behind my night stand. My toddler cannot physically lift it out (hell it is kinda akward for me) the weapon, so it is safely stowed but ready to go in 10 seconds.

Also, I would mount a picture or mirror over the wall safe pictured here for discretion. And homak makes some good stuff, just do NOT put slings on the weapons you are putting in it - learned a hard $200 lesson there...

My $.02

Littlelebowski
04-29-10, 07:49

How hard was it to install?

Flight-ER-Doc
04-29-10, 10:16
Thats what Im talkin about. How hard is it to get into?

Well, I'm counting on them being hidden....and keep idle fingers from them. I've got real safes for real security.

We use these to keep 'duty' weapons handy. A 12-gauge and M4gery in the bedroom and near the mudroom...just in case.

Flight-ER-Doc
04-29-10, 10:18
How hard was it to install?

Not hard at all: Cut out drywall between two studs, position, some lag bolts into the studs from inside the cabinet and all thats left is vacuum up the dust from the drywall. Took about 20 minutes for the first one, 10 for the second.

LMTRocks
05-16-10, 22:13
Cedar chests. Blankets-----rifle/mags-----blankets-----Lid. One of my ARs breaks down into a gym bag....on wheels with a solid frame. I put cardboard down and cut some foam to fit inside to rest the rifle on. works very well. take it to the car and nobody has any idea that there's an AR in it. Looks like I'm headed somewhere for the weekend. Keep pistol magazines (24) in an attache case. Eventually with my AR pistol build I'm going to use a pelican....and the same pelican when I get my tax stamp :)

Spiffums
05-18-10, 19:41
We keep a handgun on top of a china cabinet/pie safe. That is where Andy Taylor kept his service revolver. It was out of reach to Opie and Aunt Bee could get to it.

QuietShootr
05-18-10, 19:43
Most of my weapons are kept safe in my vault. I keep my 1911 handy and usually my riot gun or carbine close.

The reason for this discussion......

Do you have a hidden place to keep your weapons close, unseen, protected, safe from kids, etc?

I am getting a new A/C unit and it will require a new intake location. The old intake went thru a 1' deep void in the wall. This void is within arms reach from where I sleep. It would be a perfect place to build a hidden cabinet that could hold my carbine, 12 ga. and 1911.

Does anybody have a similar set-up like this?

(hope this is the right forum)

I suppose if I did, the first thing I'd want to do about it is describe it in detail on the Internet. :rolleyes:

mikeross506
09-15-10, 21:37
If you google "hidden compartments" or something along those lines, you will receive a wealth of info on the subject. Anything from commercial, store bought applications to how to construct your own. Where to place them tactically speaking....just take the time to weed out the crap from the gold as per any internet search....

Luke_Y
09-16-10, 09:55

What do you hang over the top of that to hide it? Mirror? Odd shaped piece of art? Do you have the coverup on a hinge, or just take it down?