PDA

View Full Version : Modified AFG

wes007
04-28-10, 09:51
Sort of a wierd question but has anyone ever thought about blending an afg with a standard vfg or stubby vfg? The afg definitely accomplishes its intended purpose but in some instances I feel as though for one there is a little too much slant and I'm not getting as high up on the bore as I'd like and two I'm not getting consistent stock placement when transitioning. Thought about modifying the grip so that you still get that slanted grip but have a tiny bit more rigidity when transitioning due to their being more surface area for the outer surface of your palm to pull back on. What do you think?

Dos Cylindros
04-28-10, 10:57
I think you and I are thinking along the same line. I have been on vacation from work, and recently got my new BCM LW upper together with DD 12" rail. I went to the range now a couple of times and ran both the AFG and the new RVG (bought both as they were very cheap).

For me, the AFG does not seem to have enough of an angle, even when run way out on my 12" rail. Having it that far out makes it more useful, but makes shoulder tansitions hard for me. In addition, I can not index my front hand as fast or firmly as I can with a VFG (mainly because of the shallow angle of the AFG). I also feel as if I have better recoil control and a firmer grip on the front of the carbine with a VFG. Magpul has been very clear that the AFG might not be for everyone, and I guess I am one of those people. It could also be that my duty carbine has a VFG and I am very familiar and comfortable with it.

On a side note, the new RVG is great. Cheap, durable, light weight and very comfortable in the thumb break grip due to the shape Magpul gave it.

All in all, I think the AFG could use a little more angle, at least for me.

scottd907
04-28-10, 11:38
I like the idea. Just about everyone I know is about opitions. For example, you can mount a flash light to your rifle or a forward grip, or both. Now you can buy grips with flash as part of the grip.

I would like to see or make myself, a grip that goes vertical, but has the opitions of being adjusted to any angle of my choice.

rob_s
04-28-10, 11:48
I'd like the simply see the AFG adjustable for angle.

sewvacman
04-28-10, 11:54
I'd like the simply see the AFG adjustable for angle.

Now that would make me buy one.

sapper36
04-28-10, 12:20
As an admitted Magpul kool aid drinker I wanted to try the AFG as well. However, after about a minute I decided that I didnt like it. I couldnt get enough grip to pull the rifle into my shoulder. My hand would just slip off of it. The RVG looks like exactly what I want:D

Dos Cylindros
04-28-10, 13:42
As an admitted Magpul kool aid drinker I wanted to try the AFG as well. However, after about a minute I decided that I didnt like it. I couldnt get enough grip to pull the rifle into my shoulder. My hand would just slip off of it. The RVG looks like exactly what I want:D

100% my experience with it exactally. The RVG is the best VFG on the market in my opinion (especially considering it's price). I have not tried the FUG, but feel no need to because I like the RVG so much. No big loss on the AFG, I have a buddy who loves it so I will give him mine as a spare for his work gun.

Big Willy
04-28-10, 13:50
Can someone clue the FNG in on what a RVG is? :confused:

I'm in the market for a forward grip and would like to know all of the options.

Thanks!

BW

JSantoro
04-28-10, 14:34
It's a stubby foregrip: http://store.magpul.com/product/65/107

DaBears_85
04-28-10, 17:12
Sort of a wierd question but has anyone ever thought about blending an afg with a standard vfg or stubby vfg? The afg definitely accomplishes its intended purpose but in some instances I feel as though for one there is a little too much slant and I'm not getting as high up on the bore as I'd like and two I'm not getting consistent stock placement when transitioning. Thought about modifying the grip so that you still get that slanted grip but have a tiny bit more rigidity when transitioning due to their being more surface area for the outer surface of your palm to pull back on. What do you think?

I think it's an interesting idea. Are you gonna try and mod it? If so, what did you have planned?

wes007
05-01-10, 18:25
I think it's an interesting idea. Are you gonna try and mod it? If so, what did you have planned?

I want to take up some slack on the angled portion and add a vertical apparatus to tip of the angled portion and then removing that protrusion that your left index finger touches.

ucrt
05-01-10, 20:15
I moved my AFG to where the front end is about 1/2" in front of the sling swivel rivet. About 1/2 the length of the "winged" portion is floating out there under the FSB. I shot it today and like it there so far.

I did this as I was contemplating using the old miter saw to cutting it off where the angle meets the flat and then sand then corners off. Still might if I end up not liking where it is now.

User_name
05-03-10, 01:42

Just turn it around backwards. It's almost like it's designed to work that way...

sapper36
05-03-10, 06:50
Just turn it around backwards. It's almost like it's designed to work that way...

Buying something because its new is not my thing. I have been using the DD VFG's since they came out and they are fine. Maybe a little big but they carry batteries for the X300s I use. :D

SWATcop556
05-03-10, 10:20
An adjustable AFG would be the shit.

ucrt
05-03-10, 16:51
Buying something because its new is not my thing. I have been using the DD VFG's since they came out and they are fine. Maybe a little big but they carry batteries for the X300s I use. :D

=====================

You know... the DD VFG was "new" at one time... :D

I thought that there was room for the AFG to have a little storage room too but I guess that is for the next revision.

downbad
05-03-10, 19:02
i made this in photoshop, an adjustable AFG :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/fourjosh/adj-afg2.gif

koji
05-03-10, 19:37
^ Now that is a brilliant idea. I'm gonna give this a go.

ALCOAR
05-03-10, 20:21
i made this in photoshop, an adjustable AFG :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/fourjosh/adj-afg2.gif

WOW....you got mad skills homey:D

Oh yeah, dynamite addition if it ever happens.

Ruff Shod
05-03-10, 20:49
Patent it.

Patent it now!!!

UserM4
05-03-10, 21:20
When I got my AFG I was very excited but quickly let down for it's lack of "enough" angle. My hand wanted to slip off because I didn't use it at the end of my barrel a la Magpul style.

I put it aside for awhile until one day I decided to play around with some grip tape that I had left over. It made a tremendous difference. Now I got enough grip on the thing that I actually liked it more than my stubby VFG. Yesterday, I had some free time so I removed the grip tape and stippled the grip with a soldering iron. It's just as grippy as the grip tape now. I haven't really done any shooting with it yet but it feels great now.

sapper36
05-03-10, 21:30
=====================

You know... the DD VFG was "new" at one time... :D

Yes it was, it came on the new rifle I bought and I liked it:D

Turnkey11
05-04-10, 02:17

Kinda like the KAC handstop.