PDA

View Full Version : Variable scope; 3-9 or 2.5-10. Please help

TOMTOM
04-28-10, 11:40
Gentlemen,

my knowledge of scopes is practically nothing. my only experience is a bushnell 3-9 rimfire on a Marlin 795, which is just a fun little plinker gun i keep.

I have an 18" AR with iron sights, that i've been plannining on adding a scope to.

This is only going to be a fun gun. Here is what i've come up with:

Trijcon 3-9x
Trijicon 2.5-10x

what is the biggest difference between the 3-9 and 2.5-10? Are they catered to a different type of shooting?

Thank you,

Alaskapopo
04-29-10, 03:57
What do you plan on doing with this gun. I woulld recommend the 1-4 accupoint as a better match for your gun. In my opinion.
Pat

TOMTOM
04-29-10, 09:22
What do you plan on doing with this gun. I woulld recommend the 1-4 accupoint as a better match for your gun. In my opinion.
Pat

Pat,

I will be mostly shooting from the rooftop of the rangemasters office at the 300 & 400 yard steel targets.

Alaskapopo
04-29-10, 13:01
Pat,

I will be mostly shooting from the rooftop of the rangemasters office at the 300 & 400 yard steel targets.

I have been doing a quite a bit of longer range shooting myself lately trying to get ready for the larue three gun match. I am using a 1-6x Swarovski for this. Most of my friends are using 1-4 scopes. You can hit at 500 on a 12x18 inch target easily enough with a 4X scope. Plus you also get more speed up close on 1x and you also get lighter weight. The larger accupoints are fine but they are intended more to be a hunting scope than a tactical scope. The one thing all Accupoints lack is a bullet drop compensator. You will have to dial in your scope for the various ranges. Fortunately the Accupoints turrents are easy to use.

Pat

ALCOAR
04-29-10, 14:22
Gentlemen,

my knowledge of scopes is practically nothing. my only experience is a bushnell 3-9 rimfire on a Marlin 795, which is just a fun little plinker gun i keep.

I have an 18" AR with iron sights, that i've been plannining on adding a scope to.

This is only going to be a fun gun. Here is what i've come up with:

Trijcon 3-9x
Trijicon 2.5-10x

what is the biggest difference between the 3-9 and 2.5-10? Are they catered to a different type of shooting?

Thank you,

SIZE.....the 2.5-10 accupoint is one BIG momma! I would go with the 3-9x.

CC556
04-29-10, 15:18
I'm using a TR20 (which is 3-9x) with the mil-dot reticle on my gaming gun (along with an offset mounted red-dot for fast close-in stuff.) The 3-9x is considerably smaller than the 2.5-10x, and I've never wished I had .5x less magnification on the low end or 1x more on the high end. I've used this successfully out to 500 yards in matches, just using the mil-dots for holdovers.

TOMTOM
04-29-10, 17:26
I have been doing a quite a bit of longer range shooting myself lately trying to get ready for the larue three gun match. I am using a 1-6x Swarovski for this. Most of my friends are using 1-4 scopes. You can hit at 500 on a 12x18 inch target easily enough with a 4X scope. Plus you also get more speed up close on 1x and you also get lighter weight. The larger accupoints are fine but they are intended more to be a hunting scope than a tactical scope. The one thing all Accupoints lack is a bullet drop compensator. You will have to dial in your scope for the various ranges. Fortunately the Accupoints turrents are easy to use.

Pat

SIZE.....the 2.5-10 accupoint is one BIG momma! I would go with the 3-9x.

I'm using a TR20 (which is 3-9x) with the mil-dot reticle on my gaming gun (along with an offset mounted red-dot for fast close-in stuff.) The 3-9x is considerably smaller than the 2.5-10x, and I've never wished I had .5x less magnification on the low end or 1x more on the high end. I've used this successfully out to 500 yards in matches, just using the mil-dots for holdovers.

Thank you all for the info. All my carbines have been set up with Red dots. I have never really been into shooting longer range...but recently started thinking about it.

I didnt realize these scopes were more geared towards the hunting crowd.

Tom