PDA

View Full Version : Sling Attachment

afff_667
04-28-10, 12:09
I did a search to identify the "best" (recognizing how subjective "best" is) set up for sling attachment but couldn't find a definitive answer, so I'll ask it here: What are the ideal attachment points for a 2-point sling? The implications for me appear to impact the stock I need and the possibility of adding a rail system.

I'm looking at a DDXV (or XVM when I can find one) and realize that I need a couple of parts to attach the sling at the FSB. The GI stock doesn't offer too many options. Will these attachment points work as needed to make full use of a sling? Or, are they lacking?

Moving up to the M4, M4v2, or M4v3, however, adds a rail system and additional flexibility for attaching the sling. The various M4 models also have the QD swivel hole on the receiver plate as well as a MOE stock offering additional possibilities.

I plan to proceed very slowly with accessorizing whichever weapon I purchase to identify exactly what I need based on experience, but the price difference moving from the DDXV to DDM4 with rail suggests that the DDM4 might be the best way to go. Other than a sling, immediate plans are to purchase only ammo, magazines, a case, training, training, and training.

I've decided on the VCAS, so particular recommendations for mounting it are welcome. Also, any particular recommendations on the DDM4 vs DDM4v2 vs DDM4v3? I'd actually like the DDM4v3 due to the mid-length gas system but am curious if the extra rail length on the DDM4 is preferable.

Thanks.

rychencop
04-28-10, 12:17
i added a emod stock and also the DD rail attachment and buffer tube attachment. they all work well and give me several options. along with a Vickers sling of course.

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4074/img0319u.jpg

jumpthestack
04-28-10, 23:31
I have the Magpul ASAP endplate at the back of the receiver and a
MI#08 HD Sling Mount at the rear of the left rail on my quad rail forearm. It's worth getting this one that has the anti-rotate feature vs cheaper ones that rotate freely.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-08-HD-p/mctar-08%20hd.htm

I like this set up because putting the sling mount points closer together makes the loop of the sling looser so it's possible to transition to your weak side even while slung.

I do not like attaching the sling to the stock because
- it changes the looseness of the sling any time you adjust the stock length
- it kind of hinders you when you hold the gun muzzle up in front of your face 'in your workspace' when doing reloads or clearing malfunctions. When you go muzzle up, the stock goes down and if the sling is attached to the stock it gets in the way.

There are advantages to attaching to the front of the rail and the rear of the stock though. I think it hangs a bit more comfortable and stable if you're just walking around with hands off the gun, since the sling is tighter and attached at the endpoints of the gun.

Also it makes it easier to use the sling for improved stability while shooting.

Taran
04-28-10, 23:35
What do you want the sling for? Easier carrying? Tactical? Something else?
For tactical, I'm a real fan of single point. But it is a little hard to sling arms with a single point.

Dutchy556
04-28-10, 23:44
For a 2 point I prefer a rear sling plate of some sort (ASAP or QD, lots of options) in the rear and the front attachment point to be just forward of the receiver on the handguards/rail. See rychencop's setup above...

Run this way I find you get all the utility of a 2 point (may be more stable or comfortable further out but it still carries better than a 1pt when slung) and nearly the maneuverability of a 1 point when run a little bit slack - I find running the front attachment point at the rear of the rail keeps the sling out of my way better during various different manipulations.

ETA: As for which rifle to go with, you say yourself that you'd like the get the M4v3, so I'd would say go ahead and get that. The 9" rail is plenty long, imo. While I do run longer rails on some guns I have a BCM middy with a 9" lite rail and the rail is plenty long to adopt a fairly far-out grip.

ucrt
04-29-10, 00:14
I use a GG&G SlingThing (or SlicThing) to have a point at the FSB instead of getting a new Handguard. There are several models available but I used the QD on the left side of the FSB with a small rail on the right side to mount my light. This way the light is out of the way of the sling.

I have an Vltor EMod so I attach the other point to the stock. But GG&G makes an attachment for the reguslr collaspible stock too.

rocketman
04-29-10, 06:44
I've started using Colt front sling attachments on my rifles. Don't know if they are actually made by Colt but that's how they are described. At any rate it works for me very well as a front sling attachment with out cluttering up a short rail. This doesn't show it but you can leave the origional sling attached in place as well. Just another option.........YMMV

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd270/rocketman_photos_2007/COLTFRONTSLINGMOUNT.jpg?t=1272540529

You can find them here (I just bought two more yesterday)

http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-15-m-16-mil-spec-parts/sling-mount-colt-front-sling-mount-colt-sling-front-sling-mount-detail.htm

afff_667
04-29-10, 11:46
Thanks for the info...I'm taking the advice of many others on here about a first AR and need for a sling, so I wanted to make sure I get set up to make the most of the sling.

Blankwaffe
04-29-10, 14:25
I've started using Colt front sling attachments on my rifles. Don't know if they are actually made by Colt but that's how they are described. At any rate it works for me very well as a front sling attachment with out cluttering up a short rail. This doesn't show it but you can leave the origional sling attached in place as well. Just another option.........YMMV

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd270/rocketman_photos_2007/COLTFRONTSLINGMOUNT.jpg?t=1272540529

You can find them here (I just bought two more yesterday)

http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-15-m-16-mil-spec-parts/sling-mount-colt-front-sling-mount-colt-sling-front-sling-mount-detail.htm

I prefer the Colt barrel mount as well.I dont have,want or need a rail on any of my rifles so its about the most secure adapter there is for standard handguards IMHO.Helps keep the rifles very basic as I prefer.
For rear attachment I use a loop end plate,DD quick detach end plate or simply run it through the stock.
I much prefer the VCAS.The design and quality are first rate.

Failure2Stop
04-29-10, 15:12
I almost exclusively use Vickers slings, and I have tried all the different mounting points.

My opinions to date-
I prefer to have the rear sling attachment on the outside of the buttstock. It permits a quick shoulder transition without having to move the stock around the sling and reduces the probaility of a self-inflicted buttstroke to the chin or snagging the stock on crap placed on the chest. I have used several end-plate sling mounts/swivels that rub/chafe/cut my hand when in position on the grip/safety, and removal of said annoyances brightened my day.

Mounting the front attachment point close the the receiver causes the gun to hang more vertically, which is a benefit when hands-free, but on short rails (mostly talking about 7" rails such as on most CAR gas systems with a fixed front) the sling mount is under my hand when in a good firing grip if there is anything else on the rail (such as a peq-15 or rail mounted light at 9 to 12), which is sub-optimal but not too bad. Pushing the mount out to the end of the rail frees up hand placement, but limits use of the rail since the sling will block 9:00 placed lights; however it makes the gun easier to sling on the back for truly hands-free tasks.