PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions to ask about basic AR15

Skang
04-28-10, 22:44
When you putting away your AR inside safe or inside case, do you put on safe mode? or just pull the trigger back to sit back? (safety lever would not move unless i pull the charging handle).

Another question is, i looked at some videos and they use ammo or pointy object to push the center of the magazine release button. What does that do?

Thank you.

graffex
04-28-10, 23:10
You don't need to put it on safe as long as it's unloaded. If the rifle isn't cocked you can't put it on safe anyhow.

Not sure about the magazine thing...

Irish
04-28-10, 23:18
I keep my ARs on safe even when unloaded, just a good habit in my opinion. I believe you're talking about the CA "bullet button". http://www.scopedin.com/product-reviews/ar-15-equipment/the-bullet-button-magazine-release/

5pins
04-28-10, 23:18
I always check the chamber and pull the trigger before putting it away. I think that was the way I was taught in the army and it became habit.
I think using something to push the mag button makes it California legal.

R.D.
04-28-10, 23:22
The cartiidge activated mag release is an invention to be in compliance with CA law. If I recall correctly it is called a bullet button. I personally keep the safety on on my rifles in the safe but I think it is just a matter of personal preferance. Beaten by 4 min a little slow on the posting tonight ;).

Taran
04-28-10, 23:41
The Army has us store them uncharged. They have to be charged to be on Safe. Keeping the weapon charged for extended periods of time wears out the spring in a hurry.
So, remove the mag and clear the weapon, discharge empty chamber safely and store.

Skang
04-29-10, 00:02
yeah, i can see how it can wear out the spring.

my gun came charged from the factory. Noveske.

so, with trigger pulled back position there is no tension anywhere?

Skang
04-29-10, 00:09
The Army has us store them uncharged. They have to be charged to be on Safe. Keeping the weapon charged for extended periods of time wears out the spring in a hurry.
So, remove the mag and clear the weapon, discharge empty chamber safely and store.

well, my gun came with charged, safety on from the factory.

from what i know, springs done wear out just because they are compressed or extended. they wear out from cycling.

but thank you for the info guys.!!

whiterabbit05
04-29-10, 00:26
Keeping the weapon charged for extended periods of time wears out the spring in a hurry.

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree that keeping it charged will wear the spring out in a hurry. Springs wear from the cycle of being compressed and decompressed, not from being held in one stage or the other.

Keeping it charged does keep tension on some parts. Whether or not sustained tension will wear anything out is another debate.

5pins
04-29-10, 00:57
With the hammer down and the safety off a person can confirm that the there is no round in the chamber by trying to put the safety on. If the safety will not go on then the hammer is down and the chamber is empty.

DaBears_85
04-29-10, 01:15
I keep my ARs on safe even when unloaded, just a good habit in my opinion. I believe you're talking about the CA "bullet button". http://www.scopedin.com/product-reviews/ar-15-equipment/the-bullet-button-magazine-release/

I agree, I've always felt it's a good habit to have/develop. Wether or not it's grounded in anything measurable, I don't know. It's just how I do it.

ST911
04-29-10, 02:18

yeah, i can see how it can wear out the spring...so, with trigger pulled back position there is no tension anywhere?

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree that keeping it charged will wear the spring out in a hurry. Springs wear from the cycle of being compressed and decompressed, not from being held in one stage or the other.

Keeping it charged does keep tension on some parts. Whether or not sustained tension will wear anything out is another debate.

Cocked hammers causing hammer spring wear is bunk. As noted by whiterabbit work wears springs, not compression. If you've got a GTG spring, you're fine.

Storing the gun in the safe position offers benefits:

1. It eliminates a manipulation of the trigger during the unloading/storage or carry-preparation (cruiser-ready) process. Reducing unnecessary trigger manipulations reduces the potential for NDs.

2. Storing or racking the rifle with the safety on eliminates the need for an extra control manipulation after the rifle is charged to keep the gun in the safe condition.

3. Storing or racking the gun with the safety on offers immediate visual recognition that the rifle is in a "safe" condition. Incidental or negligent handling or trigger contact will not discharge the rifle if it is loaded. A rifle stored or racked with the safety off offers no clue as to the loaded condition, and despite dictates to treat all guns as always loaded, compels the handler to exercise even greater deliberation in doing so.

I'm not aware of any true benefit in leaving the hammer down and the safety in the off position.

120mm
04-29-10, 05:54
+1000

Keep fighting the good fight. Modern springs can be held under compression indefinitely. Army has taught more wrong bullshit than any other single source of weapons lore.

PdxMotoxer
04-29-10, 06:39
I think the good unasked question here is.....
Is this you home defense weapon?

My is first my nightstand M&P pistol, then if time I move to my
HD set-up mossberg 590a1 shotgun with 00 then #4 then slug then start that order again.

My AR is more for plinkin so it gets unloaded but a couple loaded mags
that sit top safe shelf above it.
And 300-500 rounds loaded on stripper clips. (just in case)
I also keep a loaded bandoleer with a mix of labeled 12g, 00, 000, #4, HP rifled slugs,and birdshot ready to sling over a shoulder if needed.

My wife has her SP101 .357 mag, loaded and a few 5 shot "speed loaders" 1 .357 hollow points, 1 38 low recoil Glaser Blue safety slugs.

The rest stay loaded in the safe.
Minus the hunting/skeet long guns and 22lr's

Skang
04-29-10, 17:41
right now, its on safe with magazine off.

iam just asking what is the best for the gun. (no stress on the parts)

so, with hammer down on lover on "fire" leaves no tension on any parts?

5pins
04-29-10, 18:42
As far as the parts are concerned it will not make any difference.

markm
04-29-10, 18:49
I store mine military style. I see both sides of the debate, but storing my ARs hammer down is practically hard coded in me at this point.

em2b96p
04-29-10, 18:52
+1 for hammer forward and selector on FIRE

Quib
04-29-10, 19:17
.....storing my ARs hammer down is practically hard coded in me at this point.

Same here.

Old habits.............

opmike
04-29-10, 19:53
I store my safety on.

Skang
04-30-10, 01:06
i guess i will just leave them on "safe" just like factory setup.

btw, if i shake it i hear something moves around inside. normal?:confused:

spamsammich
04-30-10, 01:08
i guess i will just leave them on "safe" just like factory setup.

btw, if i shake it i hear something moves around inside. normal?:confused:

firing pin... normal

bkb0000
04-30-10, 01:43
hmm.. i dont think a single weapon in my safe is unloaded.... am i the only one?

condition 1... mag inserted, chambered, cocked and locked.

there's absolutely nothing beyond keeping moisture out of the safe than can effect weapons stored in a properly mounted safe.. store them loaded, unloaded, cocked, dropped, doesn't matter.

for what it's worth, if i do store a gun "unloaded (condition 3 is as "unloaded" as i get, unless the weapon is inoperable)," it's stored hammer dropped, selector on fire. as 5pins indicated, this is the only way to be able to instantly, silently, determine if you need to rack the weapon or not.

bkb0000
04-30-10, 01:43
I store my safety on.

...why?

CGSteve
04-30-10, 03:11
Cocked hammers causing hammer spring wear is bunk. As noted by whiterabbit work wears springs, not compression. If you've got a GTG spring, you're fine.

1. It eliminates a manipulation of the trigger during the unloading/storage or carry-preparation (cruiser-ready) process. Reducing unnecessary trigger manipulations reduces the potential for NDs.

2. Storing or racking the rifle with the safety on eliminates the need for an extra control manipulation after the rifle is charged to keep the gun in the safe condition.

3. Storing or racking the gun with the safety on offers immediate visual recognition that the rifle is in a "safe" condition. Incidental or negligent handling or trigger contact will not discharge the rifle if it is loaded. A rifle stored or racked with the safety off offers no clue as to the loaded condition, and despite dictates to treat all guns as always loaded, compels the handler to exercise even greater deliberation in doing so.

I'm not aware of any true benefit in leaving the hammer down and the safety in the off position.

I agree on all counts, especially about needless trigger manipulation, possibly resulting in more NDs. Up until recently, I had no idea that the Army practiced cruiser carry while in the armory. To the best of my recollection of the Marines, that is not how we did it. The armorer, after receiving your over cleaned rifle would hit the bolt release, close ejection port cover, make sure weapon was on safe and store it as such. Maybe it was command discretion?

My agency also stores them cruiser carry. I have received harsh private messages on other forums after voicing my negative opinion of said practice, on the internet.

Killjoy
04-30-10, 19:24

Absolutely 1000% agree!

If you have "hammer-down" storage ingrained as a habit; learn a new habit. :D