PDA

View Full Version : Female friendly semi-auto for small hands?

Warg
04-29-10, 00:03
My wife is looking for an reliable semi for her small hands that doesn't require a lot of strength to release the slide (she cannot deal with my G17's slide) and is pretty easy to manage from a recoil standpoint. We do plan on spending many weekends shooting as many varieties as possible (and have begin the process), but given the multitude of choices out there I wanted to see if anyone could point us in the right direction.

So far she likes the older P228, P238, P239 and Walther PPS and PPK (in 380). Glocks seem to be too wide for her hands.

Her final requirement is that it has suitable stopping power. Now I'm not sure a .380 fits the bill, but she seems to like a lot of these already. I would like it to be 9mm given the stores of ammo I've been "collecting", but I guess I can start buying something else if necessary. Don't really have a price-point, but we probably don't want to spend more than $1,500. Less is certainly better since she'll need lots of training courses. Heck, I can use some too. :)

Thanks in advance.

citizensoldier16
04-29-10, 00:14
M&P9c with the small grip insert should fit her bill just fine. Small gun, more punch than the .380 and a decently sized slide release for smaller hands or weaker thumbs.

skyugo
04-29-10, 01:11
check out the hk p7. squeeze the grip to release the slide. single stack, points amazingly well. intuitive and inherently safe manual of arms.

Ian111
04-29-10, 03:02
Check out this website. Its a good resource for women shooters
http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx#FirstGun

My wife went with an M&P 9mm with the small grip inserts. Like most people, she found it easier to shoot well than the subcompact version. I'd be wary of certain .380's. Blowback single stack autos like P232 and PPK can have sharp recoil impulse that some don't like. Double stacks like a Beretta or CZ83 are very easy to manage though.

Instead of using the slide lock have her use hand over slide method while she pushes the frame forward. See Cornered Cat link http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx If she can't for whatever reason then she can't properly manipulate the firearm anyways. That's when maybe a revolver may be a better choice.

SIGguy229
04-29-10, 03:46
I'd say--go with what she can shoot accurately. Stopping power = shot placement. A couple of well placed hits from a smaller caliber gun will beat a miss from a larger caliber gun.

It's how the gun fits her and how she shoots will determine what is best for her...not so much the caliber.

Good luck!

ChicagoTex
04-29-10, 04:20
skyugo already beat me to it on the P7. It's small but recoils surprisingly gently due to it's gas-retarded design, steel frame, and VERY low bore axis and is 9mm. It's also pretty simple to use.

That said, obviously a .380 she likes and can shoot well is better than a 9mm she doesn't.

rob_s
04-29-10, 05:54
Glock 19 with extreme grip reduction from Boresight Solutions.

ChicagoTex
04-29-10, 06:43
Glock 19 with extreme grip reduction from Boresight Solutions.

Not that it's a bad suggestion, Rob (in fact, I think it's a great suggestion), a lot of folks (myself included) have a difficult time buying a gun they don't like as is on the faith that a gunsmith will turn it into something they'll like when they haven't had the chance to handle the gunsmithed product.

I've actually been struggling with this issue for the past several months, given that I love everything about the Gen3 G19 but the damnable finger grooves, but am concerned that if I send one in for a finger groove removal, I'll find the stippling job that goes with it too aggressive. Anybody in northern DFW got a Boresight G19 I can fondle? :D

rob_s
04-29-10, 06:51
FWIW, Boresight can tailor the level of roughness to you. The gun he did for me was actually for my girlfriend and knowing that it was for a female he knocked down the sharp edges, more aggressively reduced the grip size, etc.

If you decide to go that route talk with him before you send the gun in and he can help make suggestions.

Beat Trash
04-29-10, 08:26
Another vote for the M&P9c with the small grip installed.

Mine shoots like a full size pistol.

Depending on just how small her hands are,she might actually prefer the flat base late on the magazines.

ChicagoTex
04-29-10, 08:55
FWIW, Boresight can tailor the level of roughness to you. The gun he did for me was actually for my girlfriend and knowing that it was for a female he knocked down the sharp edges, more aggressively reduced the grip size, etc.

If you decide to go that route talk with him before you send the gun in and he can help make suggestions.

Good to know.

04-29-10, 08:55
Many consider the Browning P-35 a good small hands pistol.

Warg
04-29-10, 09:39
Check out this website. Its a good resource for women shooters
http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx#FirstGun

My wife went with an M&P 9mm with the small grip inserts. Like most people, she found it easier to shoot well than the subcompact version. I'd be wary of certain .380's. Blowback single stack autos like P232 and PPK can have sharp recoil impulse that some don't like. Double stacks like a Beretta or CZ83 are very easy to manage though.

Instead of using the slide lock have her use hand over slide method while she pushes the frame forward. See Cornered Cat link http://corneredcat.com/RunGun/rack.aspx If she can't for whatever reason then she can't properly manipulate the firearm anyways. That's when maybe a revolver may be a better choice.

That's a good reference, thanks.

She doesn't seem to have a problem manipulating some of the other slides. I think part of her difficulty is the smallish slide release lever on my Glock (it's stock). I just had her try pushing the frame forward- that seems to be pretty easy for her to do. Thanks for that as well.

We have enough revolvers for now, wife wants to try semi. I think she's wanting to take some carbine classes with me too, so now I'm building her a lightweight AR. Sheesh...

This is a woman who too me rock climbing on our first date and who used to race in the SCCA with/against me. Definitely a cool chick!

rob_s
04-29-10, 09:47
Given any thought to the "fullsize" Kahr? Expensive and low-capacity, but also very trim grips and the "big" ones can be pretty reliable from what I've seen.

If I could have found one for the GF to try I might have wound up going that route with her. Probably in Polymer frame.

Tomahawk_Ghost
04-29-10, 09:50
doesn't require a lot of strength to release the slide (she cannot deal with my G17's slide)

Just asking, is she strong enough to work the slide to put a round in the chamber or clear a malfunction?

If not a good J frame revolver with a trigger job my be your best bet.

I know, changing a woman's mind is hard but it can be done. Take her to the range, use snap caps or something and do some malfunction clearance drills.

Warg
04-29-10, 09:55
Given any thought to the "fullsize" Kahr? Expensive and low-capacity, but also very trim grips and the "big" ones can be pretty reliable from what I've seen.

If I could have found one for the GF to try I might have wound up going that route with her. Probably in Polymer frame.

Rob,

To be honest, I don't know much about Kahr. I'll see if I can locate a range that has some we can try out here.

And thanks for the Glock grip reduction suggestion. I have a friend that had this done on a 19 and was very happy with the results. Have to say, however, that the wife hasn't exactly warmed up to Glocks at this point so I'm not sure if we'll pursue this.

Warg
04-29-10, 10:01
Just asking, is she strong enough to work the slide to put a round in the chamber or clear a malfunction?

If not a good J frame revolver with a trigger job my be your best bet.

Yes. Again, I think the issue is the Glock's release lever and lack of familiarity with the action of the release. She had zero problems with some other semis she has looked at, so naturally I'm inclined to suggest one that seems to work better from the start.

CAVDOC
04-29-10, 10:15
sig 225/p6- some good deals on the used german police ones- a great compact 9mm with single stack comfort in the grip for under 400 bucks. I have a sig 9mm 220 which is very comfortable for my wife to operate as well.

exiledtoIA
04-29-10, 10:16
My lady appropriated my Browning Hi-Power.
We ( ok I ) got her a Glock and while she could shoot it,
she wasn't comfortable with it.
She knew she liked the Browning so one day it moved from
my side of the bed to hers. Apparently it has no interest in
coming back to me. Something about "beside the couch".

Moose-Knuckle
04-29-10, 10:20
I think we've all been here at some time. When my fiance wanted to get a handgun I first made her go with me to a few gun shows and I had her pick up and handle EVERYTHING. After taking her shooting with several handguns and after she felt what fitted her best she chose my G19.

Tomahawk_Ghost
04-29-10, 10:23
Yes. Again, I think the issue is the Glock's release lever and lack of familiarity with the action of the release. She had zero problems with some other semis she has looked at, so naturally I'm inclined to suggest one that seems to work better from the start.

In that case I would give the Kahr's a serious look. I've had a PM9 for years that has never given me a problem. I have two children, a 4 year old and 1 year old. I pocket carry the Kahr simply because it's easier when you have kids climbing all over you. If I'm going out by myself I usually carry my Glock 22 or USPc in a C.T.A.C.

HallieKinIA
04-29-10, 10:35
My lady appropriated my Browning Hi-Power.
We ( ok I ) got her a Glock and while she could shoot it,
she wasn't comfortable with it.
She knew she liked the Browning so one day it moved from
my side of the bed to hers. Apparently it has no interest in
coming back to me. Something about "beside the couch".

I never said the HighPower was going beside the couch.
It stays right where it is. You on the other hand.

loupav
04-29-10, 10:57
How about a P2000? 9mm or .40/.357sig. The slide is easy to manipulate. Interchangeable back straps make it easy to fit anyone's hands.

OR a Walther P99 also in 9mm or .40 and it's basically the striker fired version of a P2000.

Littlelebowski
04-29-10, 11:44
OR a Walther P99 also in 9mm or .40 and it's basically the striker fired version of a P2000.

You sure about that?

lethal dose
04-29-10, 11:58
Kahr cw9 or keltec pf9. Both easy to manipulate and small in the hand. The trigger can be tough on the kel tec for some women, but not bad. Kahr has a beautiful dao trigger right out of the box. Another option is the cz rami.

Buck
04-29-10, 13:46
I would look for a Beretta 92 Type M... It is a very high quality single stack 9mm that holds 8 + 1... They are very easy to shoot and were designed for shooters with small hands...

B

Littlelebowski
04-29-10, 13:50
It's not the best choice but you have to find something they enjoy firing. I got my wife a Springfield EMP. It works for her and she is tiny; 4'9". I'd prefer an M&P 9c but her little fingers just don't reach far enough.

GermanSynergy
04-29-10, 16:02
I'd suggest an M&P 9 or M&P 9 C with Apex striker block, sear and DCAEK.

GermanSynergy
04-29-10, 16:03
How about a P2000? 9mm or .40/.357sig. The slide is easy to manipulate. Interchangeable back straps make it easy to fit anyone's hands.

How do you figure? The only similarities are that they are both made in Germany. :D

C4IGrant
04-29-10, 17:18
I bought my wife the HK P7M8. Works well for her. Another good choice for CCW is the Walther PPS (9).

If she is not trying to conceal the weapon, then go with a full size M&P with the small grip. No other pistol on the market allows a shooter to change the size of the grips as fast or as easily as the M&P.

C4

misanthropist
04-29-10, 19:19
I'm not sure if this is just a problem I run in to or if this is a common "girly" issue...but I can't get my gf/wife (either of them...kidding) interested in ugly guns.

I have really been hoping to drum up some interest in an M&P9. However, if it's not steel, or, in some instances, aluminum, I can't seem to get her interested. She just has an aesthetic obsession with smooth, shiny, metal objects.

Now if it were up to me, she'd be getting an MP9 or G19...but no. The glock are right out because they are too square. The M&Ps are better, but still...too plastic.

Well, what can you do? It's either buy something YOU like, or buy them something THEY like. And I guess a pistol she likes is a pistol she is more likely to shoot...and I would rather have her owning a second tier pistol with 10,000 rounds through it because she loves it than a top tier pistol with 500 rounds through it because it's an ugly black brick.

Tough to buy guns for women in my experience.

RogerinTPA
04-29-10, 20:42
Take her to a gun shop (with shooting gloves so she doesn't damage her hands), choose all the guns she likes, and have her manipulate the slides of each. Of those she selects, have her shoot and reload on her own to decide the winner. Not all at the same time, but a couple every weekend, until she finds the "one" for her.

lethal dose
04-29-10, 20:47
I bought my wife the HK P7M8...
Is this the one I saw at nvb? Me likey. Me want.

Ak44
04-29-10, 20:48
Sig 226/229 E2 or HK P30

C4IGrant
04-29-10, 20:52
Is this the one I saw at nvb? Me likey. Me want.

Yep. He keeps saying that people are trying to buy it. :)

C4

lethal dose
04-29-10, 21:04
Yep. He keeps saying that people are trying to buy it. :)

C4
Need a remmy 870? ;)

C4IGrant
04-29-10, 21:22
Need a remmy 870? ;)

LOL, hum do have about 10 of them?

C4

glocktogo
04-29-10, 21:37
The P6/225, Kahr's, P7M8 and M&P 9C would all be good choices. I'd shy away from the Kahr and the P7 if her hand/upper body strength isn't great, as the recoil spring on both are very stiff. Whatever she gets should be something she can easily manipulate.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the S&W 3913. They're easy on the wallet on the used market. The recoil spring isn't all that stiff. The DA and SA pulls are fairly light. The 8 round single stack alloy frame make for a lightweight, easy to carry and shoot platform.

Dimensions are: 6.75" long, 5.25" high with pinkie extension base pad, 1.1" wide (including slide stop), 1.04" wide grip, 5.25" grip circumference, 1.9" trigger reach in DA, 1.55" in SA, weight is 23 oz empty, 30 oz loaded with 9 Ranger 127 SXT +P+.

Here are some pics of mine with an Accurate Iron grip treatment, melted slide stop, shaved and melted single side safety.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0089.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0090.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0092.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/CIMG0093.jpg

tpd223
04-29-10, 21:42
My wife has very small hands and is fond of her Kahr 9mms, she has a CW9 and a PM9 that she uses/carries.

Warg
04-29-10, 21:43
Take her to a gun shop (with shooting gloves so she doesn't damage her hands), choose all the guns she likes, and have her manipulate the slides of each. Of those she selects, have her shoot and reload on her own to decide the winner. Not all at the same time, but a couple every weekend, until she finds the "one" for her.

That's pretty much what we've started doing. Two different ranges this weekend. Should be fun.

lethal dose
04-29-10, 21:45
Nice piece, glocktogo. I love to see people putting modern twists on a classic weapon... as long as it's done in a tasteful manner. Well done.

Warg
04-29-10, 21:46
Indeed, very nice.

Warg
04-29-10, 21:56
I'm not sure if this is just a problem I run in to or if this is a common "girly" issue...but I can't get my gf/wife (either of them...kidding) interested in ugly guns.

I have really been hoping to drum up some interest in an M&P9. However, if it's not steel, or, in some instances, aluminum, I can't seem to get her interested. She just has an aesthetic obsession with smooth, shiny, metal objects.

Now if it were up to me, she'd be getting an MP9 or G19...but no. The glock are right out because they are too square. The M&Ps are better, but still...too plastic.

Well, what can you do? It's either buy something YOU like, or buy them something THEY like. And I guess a pistol she likes is a pistol she is more likely to shoot...and I would rather have her owning a second tier pistol with 10,000 rounds through it because she loves it than a top tier pistol with 500 rounds through it because it's an ugly black brick.

Tough to buy guns for women in my experience.

I think you're onto something there. She does, in fact, think Glocks are ugly. I, on the other hand, think they look cool.

I think she's faking the whole weak hand thing to be honest. Didn't seem to have a problem with the darn Sigs- particularly the ones with the fancy wood grips. She's a damn rock climber that can easily to 25 guy pushups for goodness sake. Actually she does sets of 25.

I was shocked that she took a liking to my ARs. Says: "I want you to build me one without any fancy paint jobs [Durcoat]. Just a black one with one of those Aimpoint Micros on top..."

Warg
04-30-10, 23:12
So we played hookie from work and went to the range today. Wife tried an HK P30 (didn't have a P7M8 on hand), SW MP9 and MP9C, Springfield XD 9, Glock 17 (back and forth with mine), Kahr CW9, and the Sig 239 (again).

After about 300 rounds she favored the HK P30, MP9, and MP9C. She did like the feel of the XD9, but couldn't shoot it very well nor could I. I think something was wrong with this rental as our groups were way, way out of whack compared to the others. She shot the MPs last and did the best with her groups at about 25 feet. Actually, she did a pretty fair job.

Naturally, I had to shoot these a bit too. I really like the MPs as well. The triggers are really sweet.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. We'll continue to scour the local ranges for some of the others mentioned.

skyugo
04-30-10, 23:31
So we played hookie from work and went to the range today. Wife tried an HK P30 (didn't have a P7M8 on hand), SW MP9 and MP9C, Springfield XD 9, Glock 17 (back and forth with mine), Kahr CW9, and the Sig 239 (again).

After about 300 rounds she favored the HK P30, MP9, and MP9C. She did like the feel of the XD9, but couldn't shoot it very well nor could I. I think something was wrong with this rental as our groups were way, way out of whack compared to the others. She shot the MPs last and did the best with her groups at about 25 feet. Actually, she did a pretty fair job.

Naturally, I had to shoot these a bit too. I really like the MPs as well. The triggers are really sweet.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. We'll continue to scour the local ranges for some of the others mentioned.

the M&P is a good option...
that's generally what i recommend to people who think glocks are too fat.
consider how much less expensive the gun and mags are than the HK..... you can pick up a case of ammo with your savings :D

556A2
05-01-10, 00:02
Surprisingly, I've found quite a few female shooters that love the Beretta 92FS. They only have 13lb recoil springs, so it is very easy to manipulate the slide. Since they are heavy, they have a very light recoil.

The grip is big, but not nearly as big as everyone makes it out to be with the factory plastic grips. Dropping in a "D" Mainspring can lighten the DA trigger pull so it can be very manageable.

Plus, they look good which also helps with women shooters. My wife hates my Glock 19 because "it looks like a box".

Warg
05-01-10, 00:07
Surprisingly, I've found quite a few female shooters that love the Beretta 92FS. They only have 13lb recoil springs, so it is very easy to manipulate the slide. Since they are heavy, they have a very light recoil.

The grip is big, but not nearly as big as everyone makes it out to be with the factory plastic grips. Dropping in a "D" Mainspring can lighten the DA trigger pull so it can be very manageable.

Plus, they look good which also helps with women shooters. My wife hates my Glock 19 because "it looks like a box".

They had a new 92FS in the case and we did look at that. Unfortunately, none to rent. My wife did like the weight and size of that one. Another addition on the "to shoot" list!

fn1889m
05-01-10, 02:26
A lot of women have trouble with semi-autos. It is simply hard for some women to pull the slide back. But a revolver does not take the same upper body strength, and revolvers are kinda cool.

There is a value in revolvers. I think the 3" SP101 is a good deal. And for more money, Smith and Colt are good.

I know it is not the OP's question. But it solves the "hard to pull back the slide" problem.

ChicagoTex
05-01-10, 02:29
A lot of women have trouble with semi-autos. It is simply hard for some women to pull the slide back. But a revolver does not take the same upper body strength, and revolvers are kinda cool.

There is a value in revolvers. I think the 3" SP101 is a good deal. And for more money, Smith and Colt are good.

I know it is not the OP's question. But it solves the "hard to pull back the slide" problem.

Yknow, I've met just as many women, if not more, who were physically unable to pull the trigger on a double-action revolver without jerking the gun violently off-target.

Moose-Knuckle
05-01-10, 07:06
Yknow, I've met just as many women, if not more, who were physically unable to pull the trigger on a double-action revolver without jerking the gun violently off-target.

I concur, I had my finace shoot my father's SP-101 and my GP-100. The SP-101 is DAO (model #5720) spurless hammer, it was a no go for her as the trigger pull was to great. After that she shot my G19 and fell in love with the trigger on it.

LHS
05-01-10, 08:52
My wife seems to have fallen in love with my full-size Beretta 92. This is odd, since she has medium-size hands, but hey, there's no accounting for it.

In my experience back in the pre-Glock days, when the 1911 was the norm, lots of smaller-handed shooters gravitate to the Hi-Power, but the P7M8 works well in that role too. I'm glad to see someone else mentioned the 3913, also.

jmp45
05-01-10, 09:29
My wife is a petite and has trouble racking any slide down to a mouse gun. We've looked at quite a few. She has no problem racking my m&p9 and it's her choice, favors the small back strap. She didn't like the 9C grip. I'm planning on getting her a m&p9 this year from Grant, with apex upgrades. She carries an lcp with a crimson trace.

loupav
05-01-10, 21:07
You sure about that?

I'm sorry, I went a little over board on the whiskey and posting. ;)

At the time I just figured they both were around the same size, both have interchangeable back straps, and the two examples I have in my safe, both have decockers. I know the HK is available with the LEM and I believe the Walther has a DAO trigger. I just figured close enough.

I apologize for making an incorrect post while my buddy Mr. Jackie-D was around.

ColdDeadHands
05-01-10, 22:50
My wife is looking for an reliable semi for her small hands that doesn't require a lot of strength to release the slide
PPS 9mm, hands down.

Warg
05-01-10, 23:22
I concur, I had my finace shoot my father's SP-101 and my GP-100. The SP-101 is DAO (model #5720) spurless hammer, it was a no go for her as the trigger pull was to great. After that she shot my G19 and fell in love with the trigger on it.

My wife has not had any trouble with trigger pull on any of the guns we've shot and her groups were pretty impressive considering her lack of experience. The slide is the main issue, but she did not have trouble with the HK, PPS (from the sales counter) and MP9s. I think much of this is simply a muscle memory/technical issue that will quickly be resolved with more range time, but as I indicated before I think she should pick a firearm she can manipulate effectively before purchasing. The only trigger she did not like was the Kahr which was not difficult, but seemed to have a mile of takeup if that's the correct term.

JonInWA
05-02-10, 11:44
Some others for your consideration might be a SIG P225/P6, SIG P239, SIG P229, Walther P5/P5C (due to their double recoil spring set-up, they're exceptionally easy to retract/reciprocate the slide), Glock G36, Beretta 92D/92D Centurions (DAO Beretta 92s, with exceptionally good trigger pulls, usually around 8.5 lbs).

Best, Jon

Warg
05-09-10, 22:58
Saturday we spend over 10 hrs attending a basic handgun course. I'll be the first one to admit that I didn't think I needed this class, but I have to say that I did learn quite a bit and it was well worth the money. At least half of the course was in-class instruction re: safety, firearm responsibility, local laws, Federal laws, etc. and the other half was range time with everything from 22 revolvers to 45 semis. I'm probably a bit biased, but my wife kicked some novice butt at the range. By the end of the day she was saying "Ya know, that 357 Mag isn't intimidating at all." Now she want's to get her CPL and attend defensive handgun 1 and 2. Jeez, what have I done? :D

Anyhow, the "short list" of pistols she likes (*and has now shot) are the HK P30, P7M8, PPS 9, MP9/9C, Baretta 92, Sig 229 and the Sig 226. She also discovered that she liked the SW 357 revolver, but we already have one of those. She dismissed ours as bieng too heavy before giving it a shot at the range.

More to follow, I'm sure. A big giant thanks again for all of the suggestions. Keep them coming if you like. We're pretty open to trying anything.

Warg
06-07-10, 22:14
After at least 1,600 rounds and 21 different handguns, my wife has selected two nines she likes best: the Sig P229 and CZ 75 Compact. The PPS 9mm was nearly a dead heat with these two, but in the end her preference is toward the heavier handguns.

I was kind of surprised she kept going back to the Sig given the somewhat large grip width, but she consistently shot very good groups and seemed very comfortable with it. The CZ was also a surprise. Several days ago we were plinking with a few rentals and gentleman next to us at the range was shooting one of these. I asked him about it and he let my wife try it out. The first five rounds she shot produced less than a 3" group at 7 yards. After 50 rounds she was still kicking butt with it.

Since she cannot decide between the two, I think we're going to purchase both. The Sigs are easy to find around here, but this is not the case with the CZ Compact as it seems like all of the local shops are out of stock. I guess we'll have to order one and wait for a bit. Perhaps by the time it arrives my wife will have gotten tired of the 229 and will give it to me :)

Thank you all for the recommendations!

Gene

Moose-Knuckle
06-08-10, 06:58
After at least 1,600 rounds and 21 different handguns, my wife has selected two nines she likes best: the Sig P229 and CZ 75 Compact. The PPS 9mm was nearly a dead heat with these two, but in the end her preference is toward the heavier handguns.

I was kind of surprised she kept going back to the Sig given the somewhat large grip width, but she consistently shot very good groups and seemed very comfortable with it. The CZ was also a surprise. Several days ago we were plinking with a few rentals and gentleman next to us at the range was shooting one of these. I asked him about it and he let my wife try it out. The first five rounds she shot produced less than a 3" group at 7 yards. After 50 rounds she was still kicking butt with it.

Since she cannot decide between the two, I think we're going to purchase both. The Sigs are easy to find around here, but this is not the case with the CZ Compact as it seems like all of the local shops are out of stock. I guess we'll have to order one and wait for a bit. Perhaps by the time it arrives my wife will have gotten tired of the 229 and will give it to me :)

Thank you all for the recommendations!

Gene

If she likes the CZ have her look/handle the CZ-P01, when I chose my CCW back in '03 it was between the GLOCK 19 (I went with the GLOCK) and the CZ P-01. The P-01 fit my hand a lot better than the 75.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/

Omega Man
06-08-10, 07:52
Of all my pistols, my wife likes the HK P30 the best. Im with her on that one.

VirginiaTactical
06-08-10, 09:59
My wife started with a 1911 Commander chambered in 9mm, made from a caspian slide and frame.

Now she shoots a M&P 9 Pro ... I wish I could tell you how we made the leap to such a big difference. But mostly she saw me love my M&P and saw how much tuning we had to do to her 1911 every 2,000 or so rounds. She went from shooting 4000 rounds through her 1911 to now competing in uspsa matches and recently got 3rd lady in production at the VAMD sectional with the M&P.

The 1911 was a great start for her, and she has very small hands as well. I would recommend the 1911 in 9mm for any lady with small hands if you don't mind the price tag.

Good luck on choosing between the two pistols that are left! I was so exstatic when my wife finally got into shooting. It is no myth, if your wife shoots, you shoot more. The only thing I found is that I cannot be a prophet in my own town, and training my wife has been quite a challenge until recently.

DTHN2LGS
06-08-10, 15:46
I can whole-heartedly recommend the H&K P7 for a small-handed woman as well. It's the gun I regret selling the most. I'm glad I didn't give it to the woman I knew who wanted it, as I had the gun longer than her.

SteveS
06-11-10, 19:42
deleted

.45fmjoe
06-11-10, 23:24
My girlfriend really likes the feel of the HK P30, but I cannot afford one right now. The local range has a CAI import P6 for sale and I'm going to see how it feels in her hands. If she likes it I'm going to get one from J&G for $349 vs. the $489 the local range wants for it. And no, they won't go down to match the price. I already asked.

DasBulk
06-12-10, 11:40
The SR9 is pretty nice in terms of grip.

Warg
06-14-10, 12:11
We spent last Saturday at the range alternating among the Sig 226, Sig 229, HK P30, my Glock 17 and PPS: 30-ish rounds each with much back and forth. Wife concluded the 229 was, without reservation, the best tool for her among these, but admitted that she was starting to like the P30 quite a bit more.

Since the CZ75 Compact was still a consideration and that range did not have one to rent, we spent some a fair bit of time with a new piece at another dealer. Turns out that she had some difficulty with the internal slide, i.e., getting proper purchase as well as manipulating the slide release. We decided to refrain from purchasing this one.

Today we purchased a new Gen 2 Sig P229 SAS for her and a few mags. She preferred the smoothed ("melted") slide as well as the two-tone finish. I could certainly care less about the latter, but if she likes it and it gets me to the range more, I'm game.

On another note- while she was swapping firearms, I spent some quality time with the P30. I really like this piece and think I'm going to buy one for both of us to enjoy. Okay, let's face it...it's for me :D

I feel pretty confident she did the right thing by shooting the snot out of wide variety of candidates based largely on the advice given herein. The value provided by the generous contributions amongst experienced M4C members here is immeasurable. You guys and gals rock!

Hmac
06-16-10, 22:28
My wife was just wanting to finally ditch her Colt NiteLight (ss Mustang)....wanted to go to 9mm. She looked hard at all of them...I was rooting for a blue label Glock 26, but she couldn't hack the grip. The dealer recommended against the M&P because he felt they came back too often. She ended up with the Walther PPS. Nice pistol. It fits her hand well, easy to use, and she shoots it well.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/125884589.jpg

Dunderway
06-16-10, 23:32

I have issues with the stock Glock release when I start to get fatigued. The factory extended releases are night and day difference from the stock G19, and just effortless to use. For $15 it is well worth the money.

HK51Fan
06-27-10, 15:06
my girlfriend and I are looking for a small pistol, she seems to want an auto, for her to carry when she runs on a fairly secluded jogging trail and for safety carry.
She's 5'3" about 125lbs w/ smaller hands. She fired a beretta tomcat in .32, but said it had really sharp kick?! She just finished her CCL class yesterday and shot a 240 out of 250, with a Glock 19 9mm. So I know she doesn't have an issue with shooting. She does have a bit of a problem with working the slide though. My first thought was a revolver, but then I thought about the Ruger LCP in.380? What do think?

ChicagoTex
06-27-10, 15:37
my girlfriend and I are looking for a small pistol, she seems to want an auto, for her to carry when she runs on a fairly secluded jogging trail and for safety carry.
She's 5'3" about 125lbs w/ smaller hands. She fired a beretta tomcat in .32, but said it had really sharp kick?! She just finished her CCL class yesterday and shot a 240 out of 250, with a Glock 19 9mm. So I know she doesn't have an issue with shooting. She does have a bit of a problem with working the slide though. My first thought was a revolver, but then I thought about the Ruger LCP in.380? What do think?

If a .32 Tomcat was too much for her, a .380 LCP will knock her into next week.

It sounds like you're gonna have to look at .25s for this situation and practice, practice, practice shot placement.