PDA

View Full Version : Potential Problems Using AA instead of 123A Batteries

surfinbird
04-29-10, 00:49
Hey guys,

Quick question, I am looking at mounting a flashlight on my ak47. I've looked at a number of manufacturer's and most of the "high end/ high quality" makers are using mainly 123a batteries for their lights.

I want to go a different route and buy a LED flashlight powered in AA. Mainly because of the commonality of the AA battery.

Are there any problems going with an AA instead of 123a?

Lynn Freshly
04-29-10, 06:22
I use a Nite Core Infinity that uses AA batteries. I use Energizer lithiums in it.

Lynn

Vic303
04-29-10, 08:13
Biggest issue I can think of is that MOST AA based lights are sub-one inch diameter on the body of the light. This makes finding a mount that will fit it, more of a challenge, or usually involves lots of shimming.

Dennis
04-29-10, 11:38
Here are the main issues:

- Energy density
- Shelf life/discharge rate
- Temperature operating range
- Voltage delivery

These can be mitigated mostly using lithium AA's, but they are expensive as compared to 123's. LSD rechargeable AA's like Sanyo Eneloops can help too, but then you lose operating temp range. With the right 2xAA light you could also use a 17650 li-ion rechargeable but then many prefer primary batteries.

Basically, 123 batteries have become optimized for tactical use and most weaponlights have been optimized for 123's. They give long life, a wide operation range both temp and voltage delivery wise, and can sit unused for years in your light without losing charge. AND they are relatively cheap nowadays!

It all depends on what you are using your weaponlight for, your mission your call.

Dennis.

04-30-10, 11:01
Probably the biggest drawback to common alkaline AAs is the poor thermal performance. Just ask anyone who's had an EoTech spontaneously shut down after getting it hot while running alkalines. It's an issue that can be corrected by using lithium AAs, but as stated above, lithium AAs are just as uncommon and expensive (if not more) than CR123s.

If you're mounting your light to your AK via the gas tube or an ultimak, I don't need to tell you how blazing hot it's going to get. Using a plastic light mount like the VTAC would help insulate the light somewhat, but you'd need to find one or shim one that will fit whatever light you're looking at (not sure what diameter body we're talking about).

My two cents; just get a solid, reliable CR123 powered light, a good mount, and a good stash of cells.

Chameleox
04-30-10, 11:49
I want to go a different route and buy a LED flashlight powered in AA. Mainly because of the commonality of the AA battery.

Commonality, yes, but scarcity, no. AAs are fine for household things that don't bother me too much if I have to go find a spare battery for them. For a weapon light, and for things that matter more, like emergency flashlights, the 123s are better, for the whole gamut of reasons noted above.

Besides, Its not too hard to find 123s these days, and for what you're using them for, the price isn't too bad.

orionz06
04-30-10, 23:20
Buy 123's by the dozen, almost as cheap as lithium AA's that I run in AA based lights.