PDA

View Full Version : Any Navy EOD personell on here?

tampam4
04-29-10, 20:35
Was curious to see if we had any Navy EOD folks here. I'm shipping off to Navy boot camp early September with said contract, and wanted to hear some first hand experiences of the job and training, by PM if necessary. My local SEAL motivator had some info, but not from an EOD perspective obviously, and didn't have any contacts that would be of much help to me.:)

jaxman7
04-29-10, 20:44
Don't know of any myself man. I just wanted to say God bless and good luck going through boot! I remember before I went to basic (retired army) how tense I was. Do what the D.I. says and do your best to stay away from the stupid recruits!! High speed M.O.S. you chose. Good luck and don't fall asleep on firewatch!:D

K.L. Davis
04-29-10, 21:24
Check your private message...

tampam4
04-29-10, 21:52
Don't know of any myself man. I just wanted to say God bless and good luck going through boot! I remember before I went to basic (retired army) how tense I was. Do what the D.I. says and do your best to stay away from the stupid recruits!! High speed M.O.S. you chose. Good luck and don't fall asleep on firewatch!:D

thank you very much! Its going to be a tough ride, but will equally fun and rewarding at the same time, as long as I keep my head solid on my shoulders and don't act my age:p

K.L. Davis, thanks, I replied back.

BooneGA
04-30-10, 00:12
I am an Active Army EOD tech. If you have any questions on EOD school I can answer them.

Rick

Hoss356
04-30-10, 00:45
I mean no disrespect to the army personnel on here, but Navy EOD school also contains jump and dive school as well. It's also not an MOS, it's a rate and navy EOD techs are in the Spec Ops community. The school last something around 13 months and is considered to be one of the toughest schools in the navy just under nuke school for the mental abilities and right behind BUDS for the physical aspect. But the benefits are extraordinary if you can get in the community, re-up once or twice and you can pay off a small house with your bonus. I've come acrossed quite a few techs during my time in the navy and from what I know: 1) Make sure the school is in your enlistment contract or it'll be literally 4 to 5 years before you can get your foot back in the door 2) Once you're there it's all about heart, if you get injured but showed good heart during training they'll roll you back and you'll have another chance 3) If you fail out of the school but you already completed the dive school portion, welcome the the Navy divers community 4) During my last year or so in the Navy I helped with five memorials for techs lost in a six month window from a small EOD command.

tampam4
04-30-10, 08:16
I am an Active Army EOD tech. If you have any questions on EOD school I can answer them.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I just sent you a pm..

tampam4
04-30-10, 08:23
Very true. One of the main reasons why I chose Navy EOD is because they appear to me to be the best trained EOD personnel in the military today. When believed necessary, SEAL Teams have EOD tech with them for certain operations, hence the need for Navy EOD techs to be jump qualified and have gone through Navy Dive School as well. I've heard the same thing as well Hoss, that EOD is the top mix of brains and physical ability. Current bonus right now is $40K for successful completion of training pipeline.

Here is a graph that depicts the current Navy EOD training pipeline
http://www.eod.navy.mil/images/steps_vs2.gif

And thanks for your suggestions/advice, greatly appreciated!

I mean no disrespect to the army personnel on here, but Navy EOD school also contains jump and dive school as well. It's also not an MOS, it's a rate and navy EOD techs are in the Spec Ops community. The school last something around 13 months and is considered to be one of the toughest schools in the navy just under nuke school for the mental abilities and right behind BUDS for the physical aspect. But the benefits are extraordinary if you can get in the community, re-up once or twice and you can pay off a small house with your bonus. I've come acrossed quite a few techs during my time in the navy and from what I know: 1) Make sure the school is in your enlistment contract or it'll be literally 4 to 5 years before you can get your foot back in the door 2) Once you're there it's all about heart, if you get injured but showed good heart during training they'll roll you back and you'll have another chance 3) If you fail out of the school but you already completed the dive school portion, welcome the the Navy divers community 4) During my last year or so in the Navy I helped with five memorials for techs lost in a six month window from a small EOD command.

TurretGunner
04-30-10, 12:51
ALL EOD goes through the same school. It is run by the Navy. Navy is Dive and jump qualed. Navy isin't "better" just different. They are called special operation but it is not the same as SOCOM. Kinda like SF in the AirForce is not cloak and dagger.

While navy does some cool shit, as all brances do; the army is bigger therfore more options. I would love to do it but I can't pass the color test. Did you do your bomb suit test yet?

tampam4
04-30-10, 13:05
ALL EOD goes through the same school. It is run by the Navy. Navy is Dive and jump qualed. Navy isin't "better" just different. They are called special operation but it is not the same as SOCOM. Kinda like SF in the AirForce is not cloak and dagger.

While navy does some cool shit, as all brances do; the army is bigger therfore more options. I would love to do it but I can't pass the color test. Did you do your bomb suit test yet?

Hey TurretGunner. I apologize for making it sound like Navy EOD techs are "better" EOD techs than others, rather what I meant is that they receive more training during their pipeline, such as the dive and jump school.

I've never heard of this bomb suit test, that may be something they do after boot? Only things I've done so far involve the regular "fun" stuff at MEPS.

TurretGunner
04-30-10, 14:07
I know the army does it for reclass soldiers , so maybe it is not used for pre IADT service members. Good luck with your training and have fun blowing some shit up.

PappyM3
04-30-10, 14:56
I know the army does it for reclass soldiers , ...

I was about to reclass and took that test. At the end of the MOPP suit portion, I had puddles of sweat in my rubber boots and in the fingers of the gloves. Fun times. :p

boggyboy72
04-30-10, 15:27
I didn't go to EOD school,But I did grow up right outside Eglin AFB.

When We went to get Our base hunting permits We would get a printout that basically said,"If You see anything that looks like a bomb,shell,or grenade,Don't pickup/kick/**** with it in any way."A lot of ordinance has been dropped on Eglin over the years and the chances of finding something dangerous is pretty good.People have blown themselves up before.

The ranges are off limits,But only closed off with a gate and not guarded except on the day of a mission,So People do go into places they shouldn't.One of the things they like to do is go out and strip anything usable off of the old trucks and tanks that are set out as targets.I've never heard of any scavengers getting shot up,But still real dumb.

And if You get the chance make sure to hit the beach at PC.(if the oil doesn't screw it up.):(