PDA

View Full Version : Did I take it too far with the Locktite?

OTO27
04-30-10, 00:56
I was getting my rifle ready for some re-zeroing and decided to locktite everything with threads on it.... including the thumbscrew on my Eotech. I am fed up with my past Eotechs coming loose on me that I decided to locktite my new XPS. I know it says not to on the manual and I was wondering why this was? Did I take it too far by doing this, will my eotech be scarred for life?? lol

WesleyCE
04-30-10, 01:07
I was getting my rifle ready for some re-zeroing and decided to locktite everything with threads on it.... including the thumbscrew on my Eotech. I am fed up with my past Eotechs coming loose on me that I decided to locktite my new XPS. I know it says not to on the manual and I was wondering why this was? Did I take it too far by doing this, will my eotech be scared for life?? lol

As long as you used blue locktite you'll probably be okay.

OTO27
04-30-10, 01:17
yeah, I used blue

ST911
04-30-10, 02:30
Until they improve their mount, screw the manual. Putting loctite on your Eotech screw is the only non-permanent way to keep the thing on the gun.

orthonovum
04-30-10, 12:03
Until they improve their mount, screw the manual. Putting loctite on your Eotech screw is the only non-permanent way to keep the thing on the gun.

3 years of shooting and thousands of rounds later the only time my Eotech has been off the gun is when I have removed it.. try tightening it all the way ;)

yeah blue locktight should still allow you to loosen the screws by hand

rychencop
04-30-10, 12:58
just buy a QD mount. using loctite on any optic is just bad mojo.

boltcatch
04-30-10, 13:15
The recessed hex head bolt works a lot better than the thumbscrew in terms of not coming loose, right? I heard that, did it, and never had problems with it.

Got an Aimpoint since then, though, so no problem either way now.

Stickman
04-30-10, 13:41
I hope you didn't use much loctite...

jbsmwd
04-30-10, 16:37
Lots of heat will break up/lossen up loctite from my experiance. Try a heat gun first before you bust out the open flames. And use a cold wet rag as a heat sink over your EoTech to protect it from the heat. But first I would find out if it can take a soaking wet rag so the water does not mess up the sight. I'm not an EoTech owner so I don't know. And don't cach anything on fire:eek:

ST911
04-30-10, 16:53

You do realize that even with a QD mount, the sight still has to mount to it?

P2000
04-30-10, 17:35
In my original Eotech manual (Im guessing 5 years ago) the manual said don't use locktite. In my recent manual it does not say that anymore.
I used a little blue locktite on mine.

AEROX711
04-30-10, 21:18
Lots of heat will break up/lossen up loctite from my experiance. Try a heat gun first before you bust out the open flames. And use a cold wet rag as a heat sink over your EoTech to protect it from the heat. But first I would find out if it can take a soaking wet rag so the water does not mess up the sight. I'm not an EoTech owner so I don't know. And don't cach anything on fire:eek:

Good idea on the wet rag.

From my experience, you're normally safe with blue loctite as long as it's not used in excess. If you aren't planning on taking it off any time soon, then be at ease that it's more secure now, zero it, and drive on.

OTO27
05-04-10, 22:59
Well, I found out today I in fact did take it prety far. After I managed to break loose the thumb screw with a screw driver, the thing wouldnt budge! I had to break out a hammer and carefully position a towel on the aluminum shell and pound till it slit off the rear of my upper. Then I had to pry loose the metal piece that clamps onto the thumb screw with a screw driver. I guess I did use the locktite in excess, like some of you warned me not too. I learned my lesson and wont be using any locktite, even blue on any optic. The one good thing that came out of all this is that I learned my Eotech can take a beating! lol.

Belmont31R
05-04-10, 23:07
WTF?

In the future use heat to break or at least soften the bond. If you need heat on a specific screw you can take a soldering iron, and put the tip on the bolt. Hold for 20 seconds, and then try. Keep doing it until it loosens up.

Trying to break the bond on a "cold" nut/bolt is a good way to strip the head off or break whatever you are working with.

And all you need is a drop on the threads, and you can even wipe it down with a LIGHT coat of oil so its easier to remove in the future before putting the loctite on. All you need to accomplish is keeping the screw from loosing. Its not like its under rotational pressure.

:(

OTO27
05-04-10, 23:23
Thatnks for the advice, I did use a blow dryer, but dint want to over do it since theres too many electronic parts to the thing. The soldering iron trick sounds really good, wish I would have done that instead.. hehe

Belmont31R
05-04-10, 23:25
Thatnks for the advice, I did use a blow dryer, but dint want to over do it since theres too many electronic parts to the thing. The soldering iron trick sounds really good, which I would have done that instead.. hehe

A hair dryer is not hot enough to break the bond.

500grains
05-04-10, 23:52
I was getting my rifle ready for some re-zeroing and decided to locktite everything with threads on it.... l

Did you use red Loctite on the threads of the barrel nut? I always wondered what would happen if someone did that. ;)

OTO27
05-05-10, 00:01
Did you use red Loctite on the threads of the barrel nut? I always wondered what would happen if someone did that. ;)
LOL.. NO!

ST911
05-05-10, 01:58

Seen it. It was a tough removal.

shadow65
05-05-10, 06:48
I used blue on an MI rail. Decided to take it off after a couple years. I torched it and still ended up using dcrew extractors to get the screws out. I rounded the heads.:(

JSantoro
05-05-10, 07:37

Only if you don't know how to read or otherwise not discover for yourself the properties of Loctite. Ask around about how many QD optics mounts come with a small tube of blue Loctite, or some analogue thereof, with the mount, specifically for the purposes of securing the optic to it. The whole thing is going on the same gun, and is subjected to the same battering.

Cops call things like that "clues."

The bad mojo is generally far more likely if you don't use the stuff, particularly with an EOTech variant and their factory Erector Set mount.

05-05-10, 08:03
Not using Locktite will potentially cause many more problems than using it.

HeavyDuty
05-05-10, 08:15

Someone used red on a friend's castle nut - it really sucked removing that one.