PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a build/assembly

SpookyPistolero
04-30-10, 12:36
Howdy folks-

I've been reading and absorbing AR info off this forum like a madman lately, and I'm having a hard time dropping the money on the BCM upper. I've sold quite a bit of blades/guns/gear, but >1K for the upper and bolt is a lot for me.

I had been looking at a 16" BCM lightweight middy with DD lite rails. But today I read through the Spikes thread and also checked out their website. While they don't have all the options of the BCM stuff, they are very cheap! And from what I've read and seen they appear to be properly assembled/built/tested.

I already have a lower with parts kit. So now I'm thinking of going this route...

Spikes 16" LE middlength upper (comes with BCG): ~$550
Magpul MOE stock
Magpul Midlength MOE handguards when they come out (an idea when???)
Magpul AFG
Magpul MOE grip
Some kind of rear folding site (was gonna go magpul MBUS front & rear, but the Spikes already have a fixed front site)

Any thoughts on that? I know the furniture issues are just personal preference. I'd actually be happy with the standard handguards, but I've got a surefire G2 LED w/ VTAC mount on the way and I want the AFG on there.

(Secondarily, if anyone has an update on release of Magpul midlength MOE handguards, that'd be super)

AEROX711
04-30-10, 21:34
I'll respond b/c no one else has... I personally like the BCM lightweight middy. For just over $500 with a BCM BCG, you can't beat it. It is light weight, midlength, and very well built. I don't own any Spike's products so I can't give you an opinion on that. Pony up the money for the BCM and rest easy that you have a top notch weapon. Use the standard handguards ($30 or so) in the mean time until you find the exact ones you want. Just one mans opinion...

SpookyPistolero
04-30-10, 22:17
Thanks for the input amigo! I actually just broke down and picked up the Spikes this afternoon, the research I did showed too much positive to ignore at the price. We'll see how it goes! I'm going to try to abuse it and see what I can get out of it.

BudJr
05-01-10, 00:50
Fantastic choice in my opinion. That's coming from someone with nothing but BCM uppers (another one on the way as I type).

My next upper will most likely be a Spike's. Looks like an incredible value.

Paraclete comes
05-01-10, 02:52
Spikes is what my wife has and they seem to be very solid and cant beat the price. She shoots it lightly but compared to a LWRC and a STAG just as good.

AEROX711
05-01-10, 03:12
Thanks for the input amigo! I actually just broke down and picked up the Spikes this afternoon, the research I did showed too much positive to ignore at the price. We'll see how it goes! I'm going to try to abuse it and see what I can get out of it.

Good deal man! I'm sure you'll enjoy. They are very popular. Put up a picture and lemme know what you think.