PDA

View Full Version : Building Arms and Grip Strength

WillBrink
04-30-10, 15:44
So I’m at the Arnold Classic recently and saw the FatGripz booth; another one of those “why the hell didn’t I think of this?!” simple products that adds so much potential value to a workout for the cost, it’s a ‘no-brainer’ to own them. While at the booth, I did a few sets of chins ( see minute 3:20 of vid from Arnold below) and as usual, I could feel it in my grip, and arms much more so then if doing it without the FatGripz. They are one of those uber simple cost effective products that simply works in an increasingly overly complicated world, but more on that shortly…

Here’s a simple fact of life: if your back and legs can dead-lift 700lb, but your grip ends at 300lbs, your dead-lift is 300 lbs. Thus, your grip is truly the final link in the chain that dictates what you can pull off the ground or what you can hold onto in general, be it a chin up bar, barbell, or other objects. Your grip is your ultimate contact with the weights. For strength athletes, such as power lifters, strongman competitors, and others, grip strength is king. Without it, you are no place. When it comes to strength, you are only as strong as your weakest link and most strength athletes know that fact all too well.

Cont: Building Arms and Grip Strength (http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/increasing-arm-size-and-grip-strength)

orionz06
05-08-10, 15:04
Enter lifting straps that eliminate the grip all together and impact your overall strength negatively.

WillBrink
05-08-10, 16:03
Enter lifting straps that eliminate the grip all together and impact your overall strength negatively.

True, I mention that issue in the write up specific to bbers as they are most common users of straps looking to reduce the weak link in some exercises by using straps. That can lead to a much weaker grip, but as purely visual athletes, grip is not important to them from a visual perspective. However, used correctly, fatgripz and like products will be a benefit to bbers also.

lethal dose
05-08-10, 16:20
rowing is also a great workout for grip strength.

rob_s
05-08-10, 18:05
Can I just wrap my bars in duct-tape or foam and duct-tape?

WillBrink
05-08-10, 18:16
Can I just wrap my bars in duct-tape or foam and duct-tape?

Probably, but that will be soft, impossible to move from say curles to chins, to deadlifts, etc. Some will just wrap a towel around things, and other variations you can try for sure, though for $40 for two pairs, how well made they are, easy to use, etc., I'm a fan of the fatgripz I must say. :cool:

rob_s
05-08-10, 18:20
I use a lot of fixed-weight dumbells, that's why I asked. I prefer them to barbells for everything I can use them for.

WillBrink
05-09-10, 08:07
I use a lot of fixed-weight dumbells, that's why I asked. I prefer them to barbells for everything I can use them for.

Then the fatgripz would especially well for that I would think. One can potentially use all sorts of things to thicken the grip of a bar, chin bar, etc, the fatgripz will be firmer, stay attached to the bar, and will mimic the true feel/experience of fat grip bar training as used/recommended by people like Poliquin et al.

As an analogy, one can squat with a gas pipe and buckets full of water hung on the ends for weight, but its not as comfortable, its not made specifically for that purpose, not as easy to change weight, etc, etc, you get the idea.

If you have $40 to spend - and that's for 2 pairs which will probably out last the user - then another good tool in the training tool box, but with some creativity, I'm sure the effect can be had via other means.

rob_s
05-09-10, 08:23
So they are split and can be added to a bar with fixed weights? Also, the dumbells I have are the type with the tapered grip being fatter in the middle and narrower at the sides, will this product work with that type?

WillBrink
05-09-10, 08:29
So they are split and can be added to a bar with fixed weights? Also, the dumbells I have are the type with the tapered grip being fatter in the middle and narrower at the sides, will this product work with that type?

Yes, they are split, so they connect up to anything round more or less. Not sure what the effect would be of using them on dumbells with handles not even in width, but I suspect they would work fine as they are thick stiff rubber. You might want to check on the return policy if you don't like how they perform on those dumbells. For the $$$, put them on a chin bar, they are great for that alone.

dhrith
05-11-10, 21:59
I'm all for cheap.

What I use for grip/forearms is a piece of a broken shovel handle cut to 12-18" with a hole drilled through the center and about a 3' long piece of rope tied to a weight. Then I just grab each side in hand and wind it up and down. It takes very little to get a good work out as the weight can be varied quite easily.

WillBrink
05-12-10, 09:57
I'm all for cheap.

What I use for grip/forearms is a piece of a broken shovel handle cut to 12-18" with a hole drilled through the center and about a 3' long piece of rope tied to a weight. Then I just grab each side in hand and wind it up and down. It takes very little to get a good work out as the weight can be varied quite easily.

That's going to be more of a forearm exercise then a grip builder per se.

ryanm
05-14-10, 20:01
+1 just started using them this week. Although, so far I haven't pushed myself very hard. I have done a lot of grip strength training over the years so this is more of an added tool and not a revolutionary step for me.

Shrugs are harder but I've been using a finger grip for a year now which has been a huge help. If I switch to a tight fisted grip for shrugs with these definitely notice a difference. Finger grip not so much.
Flat bench I can't really tell a difference, might actually be easier due to the padding.
Decline or incline bench harder.
Zottmon curls = much much harder.
Regular curls = slightly harder
Hammer curls = depends on if I'm letting the weight rest on my fist or if I'm holding the weight. If I'm not resting the weight this is easily twice as hard
Does not seem to impact tricep exercises unless I'm doing skull crushers with my arms extended so that the weight is at an angle over my head and I'm not allowing a bone lock for load bearing
I'd say dips are easier with these
Pullups and chinups are harder but again, I've taught myself to hang by my fingers and that has helped a lot.

Going to try them on kettlebells tomorrow and do some more dumb bell exercises with different ranges of motion.

Basically, anything that really requires a strong grip will see benefit from these. Anything where you have a bone lock or range of motion where the weight is in a more load bearing position is a toss-up for me.

WillBrink
03-24-12, 15:41
Just made this vid on the benefits of thick bar/thick handle training and figured best to add it to this existing thread than start a new one. Enjoy. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot100wipgl8

pmarc
03-24-12, 20:21
I never heard of those Zott curls.
Absolutely insane.
I hurt just seeing them.

Now, Will, do you thing a beginner might benefit from FatGripz?

Meaning, I will still begin lifting. I just need to relocate and find a strength gym/coach

Or should I just begin with thin bars then move to thick bars/FatGripz?

Hizzie
03-25-12, 02:06
Was eyeballing FatGripz and my brother bought me a pair. FatGripz? More like PuzzyGripz cuz that's how you gonna feel the first time you use them. I dropped 15lbs off my DB curls, am embarrassed to admit how badly they affected reverse curls and am totally ashamed how long (short) I could hold 135 with these things on the bar. The next day my forearms ached in ways I never thought possible. After a month my grip is measurably increased. They are an excellent tool to have in the gym toolbox. I would suggest getting the laser engraving to prevent them from walking off. The free workout plan they let you download sucks except for 1 golden tidbit: decline narrow grip benchpress. Kinda hard to find the groove the first time but damn do they hit your tri's.

WillBrink
03-25-12, 08:18
I never heard of those Zott curls.
Absolutely insane.
I hurt just seeing them.

Now, Will, do you thing a beginner might benefit from FatGripz?

Meaning, I will still begin lifting. I just need to relocate and find a strength gym/coach

Or should I just begin with thin bars then move to thick bars/FatGripz?

You don't need thick handle/fatgripz to start, but that depends on your goals a and having a good grip essential for reasons outlined in write up linked. There's various ways to incorporate some thick handle/fatgripz work into a programs.
Simple method/example:

add a few back-off sets with thick grips. An example for pull ups might be:

Sets 1-3 - Normal Grip Pull up
Sets 4 & 5 - Thick Grip Pull Up

This way the back will still be challenged, and the final two sets will also challenge the grip.

Another option might be to add an exercise with a thick grip after an initial exercise with a standard grip. For example:

Exercise 1: 3-5 sets of standard grip pull ups

Exercise 2: Inverted row with a thick rope or TRX / Blast Straps with thick handles/Fatgripz

Those are simple ideas, but you can find much indepth ways via writings of people like Charles Poliquin, articles on Elite Fitness, etc.

QuickStrike
03-26-12, 00:21
I use them on a barbell for grip work. Really helps me hang on when deadlifting, and shooting pistols.

bp7178
03-26-12, 00:50
I often wondered why it was easier to do more pulls on the thicker bars...

WillBrink
03-26-12, 09:14
I often wondered why it was easier to do more pulls on the thicker bars...

Ummm, don't you mean thinner? No one finds thicker easier.

bp7178
03-26-12, 11:33
I must be odd then. Either that or my bear paw hands just don't jive with the small diameter bar.

Pronated grip, thumbs on top of the bar.

WillBrink
03-26-12, 12:06
I must be odd then. Either that or my bear paw hands just don't jive with the small diameter bar.

Pronated grip, thumbs on top of the bar.

Thumbs should not be on top of bar as that's not actually gripping the bar, if your goal is to challenge and improve grip. If your goal is to just get more chins done, then thumbs on top of bar is the way to go yes. In vid, you will see I got called on it which made it much more difficult.

bp7178
03-26-12, 12:18
I've always treated chin ups and pull ups as two different exercises. Chin ups being palms toward you, pull ups being palms away from you.

My goal is to be able to do 20 pull ups from a dead hang, no kipping etc.

I've been doing dead lifts too, and I have noticed an increase in grip strength.

WillBrink
03-26-12, 12:51
I've always treated chin ups and pull ups as two different exercises. Chin ups being palms toward you, pull ups being palms away from you.

They are, and you can see both being done in the vid. Issue is where the thumb is placed regardless of which type of chin up/pull up is being done.

Thumb over improves number of chins one can generally do on a thicker bar, thumb under (using a true grip) greatly reduces number of chins/pull ups, etc that can be done, but challenges grip, forearms, etc better.

bp7178
03-26-12, 13:15
So thumbs under on a thinner bar typically is easier for doing more reps?

Interestingly, I've always done chin ups thumbs under. All of the exercises I do are always thumbs under, with the exception of pull ups.

Lately, I've been doing weighted pull ups but I'm starting to do more wide grip pull ups. I can really feel those on the back and rear shoulder.

I find pull ups, like push ups, is one of those excersies where it pays to be shorter. ;) A long range of motion doesn't seem to help.

sniperfrog
03-27-12, 12:20
Thumbs over on a thicker bar makes pullups alot easier. Thumbs under on a skinny bar makes pullups much harder IMO.

bp7178
03-27-12, 12:36
The thin bar we have in the academy gym doesn't have any sort of grip material. It isn't even knurled, and it always feels like my hands are twisting on it when doing reps.

Thumbs over for pull ups feels like a more natural motion. If you were going to pull yourself over a wall or a similar obstacle, your hands would be in a similar position.

WillBrink
03-27-12, 12:41
Thumbs over on a thicker bar makes pullups alot easier. Thumbs under on a skinny bar makes pullups much harder IMO.

Thumbs under, regardless of bar width or grip = more difficult.

WillBrink
03-27-12, 12:46
The thin bar we have in the academy gym doesn't have any sort of grip material. It isn't even knurled, and it always feels like my hands are twisting on it when doing reps.

Thumbs over for pull ups feels like a more natural motion. If you were going to pull yourself over a wall or a similar obstacle, your hands would be in a similar position.

Most of what we grip, when we grip, is using the thumb to grip around the object (a persons wrist for example) so if grip strength is important to you, train using full grip. Again, depends on goals, sport, etc. and both types of grips can be incorporated as it makes sense.

QuickStrike
03-29-12, 05:33
Thumbs over bar = suicide grip that lots of guys use on the bench press?

All this talk about about thumbs under makes me think of the hook grip, which still hurts like a mother to my unaccustomed hands.

bp7178
03-29-12, 10:37
I see a lot of people using the thumbs over on the bench press and I've tried it. Didn't really care for it. I felt like I had more control with a thumbs under grip.

Heartbreaker
03-30-12, 15:10
why the hell didn’t I think of this?[/URL]

Gaston Glock did years ago with the G20!
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af230/weaponsrelated/DSC_0355.jpg

I used to have grip issues with my deadlift, did "Kroc" rows for a while, basically just cheat bent DB rows with the heaviest DB possible (125lbs), did a lot of heavy weighted chins as well. I would do all my warm up sets for deads with double overhand then do my main set with mixed grip. Do 445 pretty easily now raw, while before I was having trouble doing 365. I've used fatgrips but mostly just out of curiosity, haven't incorporated them into my split. Would work well with the kroc rows if you could hold on to it for more than 1 rep

WillBrink
03-30-12, 16:28
Gaston Glock did years ago with the G20!
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af230/weaponsrelated/DSC_0355.jpg

Yes well, never been a fan of the ergos of Glock's that's for sure. :D

I used to have grip issues with my deadlift, did "Kroc" rows for a while, basically just cheat bent DB rows with the heaviest DB possible (125lbs), did a lot of heavy weighted chins as well. I would do all my warm up sets for deads with double overhand then do my main set with mixed grip. Do 445 pretty easily now raw, while before I was having trouble doing 365. I've used fatgrips but mostly just out of curiosity, haven't incorporated them into my split. Would work well with the kroc rows if you could hold on to it for more than 1 rep

There's a number of effective ways to incorporate thick handle/fatgripz training but sounds like you're doing a damn fine job of it. ;)

sniperfrog
03-30-12, 17:38
Will,

What do you think about the Captains of Crush grippers?
Alot of guys on brianenos.com seem to like them. Bob Vogel really likes using them and says they have improved his ability to control recoil.

Seams like the fatgrips are more for endurance and the CoC grippers are more for strength.

WillBrink
03-30-12, 18:23
Will,

What do you think about the Captains of Crush grippers?
Alot of guys on brianenos.com seem to like them. Bob Vogel really likes using them and says they have improved his ability to control recoil.

Seams like the fatgrips are more for endurance and the CoC grippers are more for strength.

I have not used them, but I generally hear good feedback on it for grip strength. I can see that being another tool in the tool box. The fatgripz are more whole body oriented which I tend to like, vs highly isolated to just working the grip as the Captains of Crush grippers work, but I can see a value for sure for shooters.

M4Mike
04-05-12, 14:34
All this talk about how to improve grip and forearm strength and no mention of timed heavy holds , farmers walk, or odd object grip training? Those exercises are excellent for adding strength to your grip. And as for the Captains of Crush, they make a excellent gripper and it will help to add some grip strength, but in my experience they are much better suited as a test of strength rather than a tool to build strength. Nothing beats holding something heavy to build strength in your grip.

WillBrink
04-05-12, 16:56
All this talk about how to improve grip and forearm strength and no mention of timed heavy holds , farmers walk, or odd object grip training?

Farmers walk with thick handled dumbells in vid I posted. I do farmers walk with fat gripz on a trap bar as a one way to improve grip and general conditioning. Farmers walk using thick handle anything and or with fatgripz is great bang for the buck exercise all around.

Don't do any timed holds myself, but it's another solid method that increases the suck factor real fast. :cool:

Hizzie
04-07-12, 15:37
Will have you tried the Tyler Grips http://www.tylergrip.com/ fatgrip type product? Was thinking about trying them.

WillBrink
04-07-12, 15:54
Will have you tried the Tyler Grips http://www.tylergrip.com/ fatgrip type product? Was thinking about trying them.

Have not tried them. They make claims that the cone shape is superior than standard thick handle training, but I don't see any real support for that per se.

Hizzie
04-11-12, 15:56
Have not tried them. They make claims that the cone shape is superior than standard thick handle training, but I don't see any real support for that per se.

Ordered a pair. Figured they were at least worth a try as much as I like the FatGripz. Pressure on my wrists/hands is a real problem for me with Reverse Grip BP. FatGripz didn't help in that regard. Figure the taper of the Tyler might make them a little more comfortable. I plan on integrating the FatGripz/TylerGrip into as many exercises as possible on my next workout cycle. I'l take pics and compare the 2 SxS.