PDA

View Full Version : New M&P9 full size

BVickery
04-30-10, 17:34
I just traded in my M&P9c for a full sized one.

I am trying to get this ready for serious use and curious as to any things I should look at doing to it?

I am talking along the lines of properly staking the gas key for the AR platform.

Any and all help is always welcome.

javentre
04-30-10, 18:01
Verify the sights are centered in the dovetail. Many are askew from the factory.

Jerm
04-30-10, 18:06
Check the striker.

If it's black I'd order a new one from Midway or Brownells.The jury may still out on the new ones...But they certainly appear to be more stout.

...Or possibly wait on the new Apex striker.

That's the one item I'd personally be concerned with.

BVickery
04-30-10, 18:10
Verify the sights are centered in the dovetail. Many are askew from the factory.

Hoping to get to the range next week to put some rounds through her and will certainly do that.

Check the striker.

If it's black I'd order a new one from Midway or Brownells.The jury may still out on the new ones...But they certainly appear to be more stout.

...Or possibly wait on the new Apex striker.

That's the one item I'd personally be concerned with.

I am thinking of doing the Apex upgrade for the sear etc. Is that something worthwhile or don't fix what aint broken?

And whats up with the old strikers?

MichaelD
04-30-10, 18:19
I am thinking of doing the Apex upgrade for the sear etc. Is that something worthwhile or don't fix what aint broken?

I can't speak for the Apex upgrade, not having been there done that myself.

But regarding the striker... they have a tendency to break under heavy dry fire. Using snap caps by and large mitigates the problem, however.

Jerm
04-30-10, 18:20

They're getting rave reviews from what I've seen.

I tried the sear alone and took it out.It erased what little felt reset there was to begin with and it was a little light for my taste.It did feel nice though.I'm thinking of giving the whole carry/duty kit a try now that it's available(I tried the sear when it was first released on its own).

Well,I haven't broken a striker.I had about 1000 rounds on one(maybe another 1000 dry fires with a snap cap)...About 4000 rounds on another(+alot of dry fire with and without a snap cap).

But I've seen enough of other peoples broken strikers that I considered it PM to recently change them out and keep the old as spares.

Huggies
04-30-10, 18:40
Mines been "bullet proof" from day one and i shot it for about 2K rounds before I did anything to it. Since then I

1. Did the Apex Sear and Stryker Stop. Just doing the sear alone make the trigger feel funny as you really notice the "squareness" of the stryker stop.

2. I did a 10-8 Rear serr. big U notch on both of mine as it allows for 1 handed failure drills due to the shape

3. I did a Dawson Fiber on the front in the small dot in Green since if it breaks I still have a black target style sight.

4. Lots of "grip tape" on the front of the slide for press checks and right in front of the rear sight to aid in charging. Summers are very hot and sweaty here in FL

5. Had the inset of the front grip and the small backstrap stippled along with having the bottom of the trigger guard smoothed to stop the wear and tear on my fingers.

6. Did a 4.95 Stormlake TB for my SWR Trident and waiting on a lighter recoil spring to help it cycle with the can.

7. Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot :D

YammyMonkey
04-30-10, 21:54
Get a good set of sights on there & shoot it. I have an Apex sear in mine & while it functions it feels kind of vague. I got to run a few rounds through Haley's M&P w/ the S&W PC sear & liked it better but those things are not available as a stand alone item from S&W. It felt more "solid" when the takeup was done if that makes sense. It's not bothering me enough to take it out but I'd call it different than stock, not necessarily better or worse.

G34Shooter
04-30-10, 21:58
I've had my FS 9mm for 10 days and i've already had it to Apex Tactical and back for the;

DCAEK: This upgrade is fantastic and turns the creepy trigger with a faint reset into a smooth one with less overtravel and a noticeable reset (Not Glock noticeable but much better than the factory).

Fail Resistant Extractor: This billet extractor is a monster and will probably outlast the gun.

Install and sight in my Heinie Ledge sights.

Fantastic Customer Service to go with outstanding parts will make me a repeat customer for my next M&P :cool:

G34Shooter
04-30-10, 21:59
Get a good set of sights on there & shoot it. I have an Apex sear in mine & while it functions it feels kind of vague. I got to run a few rounds through Haley's M&P w/ the S&W PC sear & liked it better but those things are not available as a stand alone item from S&W. It felt more "solid" when the takeup was done if that makes sense. It's not bothering me enough to take it out but I'd call it different than stock, not necessarily better or worse.

You should get the USB and Duty spring to go with it...

SpeedRacer
04-30-10, 22:00
IMO, the Apex trigger kit and a good set of sights are a must. The factory Novak sights are not setup for one-handed gun work. My personal preference is the Bowie Tactical/Ameriglo Operators.

Also check your striker as everyone else mentioned.

Stippling the grip and rounding the trigger guard makes the M&P handle much better, but isn't really a necessity and is a matter of personal preference.

GaryXD
04-30-10, 22:39
All of my M&P's have the silver striker. If they didn't come with it, they were replaced with it.

By next week all of my M&P's will have the Apex sear and striker block. This is an amazing upgrade for a reasonable cost.

On my non-Pro series and non-night sight guns I replace the rear sight with a 10-8.

BVickery
04-30-10, 22:39
Should I go for some Night Sights?

Again, I'm pretty new about this and would appreciate some suggestions. Was thinking of Warren sights. Should I get the set or just the front one?

wes007
04-30-10, 22:58
Should I go for some Night Sights?

Again, I'm pretty new about this and would appreciate some suggestions. Was thinking of Warren sights. Should I get the set or just the front one?

You definitely cant go wrong with a pair of warrens. Me personally I cannot stand the factory sights, my eyes tend to focus on the big rear dots rather than the inside edges of the rear sights.

G34Shooter
04-30-10, 23:11
Here's when i got it back from Apex:

Heinie Ledge sights w/ tritium front

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/c05a96fc.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/242d6d60.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/0e8eb4cb.jpg

Apex's extractor upgrade
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/5c750735.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/b748e042.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/35dfbbe0.jpg

Polished feed ramp

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/75485ee9.jpg

Internals (No that's not jizz)

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/27ef404f.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/4d53fd1f.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/c4d463aa.jpg

BVickery
05-01-10, 00:15
Thanks for the replies, def. making a list of what to do.

Now, a question I have is about holsters. I am thinking of putting a light on the pistol. The question I have is can I grab the holster with the model light I'm getting and then add the light or will the fit of the gun be to loose and such?

Huggies
05-01-10, 05:54
Thanks for the replies, def. making a list of what to do.

Now, a question I have is about holsters. I am thinking of putting a light on the pistol. The question I have is can I grab the holster with the model light I'm getting and then add the light or will the fit of the gun be to loose and such?

All the holsters I have that are designed for lights especially my RC ones will not hold the gun secure without the light attached so you will need one with and one without.

M4arc
05-01-10, 07:28
First congrats on the new M&P! However I'm disappointed that you didn't post any pictures. We love pictures. :D

G34 - Looks nice dude, real nice!

Beat Trash
05-01-10, 08:58
I just traded in my M&P9c for a full sized one.

I am trying to get this ready for serious use and curious as to any things I should look at doing to it?

I am talking along the lines of properly staking the gas key for the AR platform.

Any and all help is always welcome.

Clean it
Oil it
Shoot it

I have never shoot a gun with an Apex sear, so I can not comment. The reset is not as pronounced as my Glock 9mm's. But I have spent enough time training and shooting the M&P that I am used to the factory sear, so I guess I am not trying to fix something that, for me, is not broken.

I have been carrying an issued M&P9 for over 4 years. This gun has around 10K through it. Nothing broken yet. My personally owned M&P9c has about 5K through it, still going strong.

We have around 1,150 M&P's in the field. Extractors are not an issue (unlike the 5906/5946's we replaced!). We encourage dry firing as part of regular training. So far to date we have replaced a total of one broken striker.

There was an issue with a few guns in which the sights would drift. Mark the dovetail of your gun with a pencil prior to shooting. look afterwards to see if there was any movement.

The only thing I am disappointed with the M&P is the texturing on the frame. It's lame. I stippled the removable back strap, which helps. But I wish they would have made the texturing on the front of the grip more aggressive.

BVickery
05-01-10, 09:12
First congrats on the new M&P! However I'm disappointed that you didn't post any pictures. We love pictures. :D

Just for you....

In the box when I got home (literally stepped in the door and snapped it)
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/UPSkald/MP9.jpg

My new baby girl in my hand........
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/UPSkald/MP9Hand.jpg

I'll update this thread next week when I hit the range.

BVickery
05-01-10, 09:14
Clean it
Oil it
Shoot it

I have never shoot a gun with an Apex sear, so I can not comment. The reset is not as pronounced as my Glock 9mm's. But I have spent enough time training and shooting the M&P that I am used to the factory sear, so I guess I am not trying to fix something that, for me, is not broken.

I have been carrying an issued M&P9 for over 4 years. This gun has around 10K through it. Nothing broken yet. My personally owned M&P9c has about 5K through it, still going strong.

We have around 1,150 M&P's in the field. Extractors are not an issue (unlike the 5906/5946's we replaced!). We encourage dry firing as part of regular training. So far to date we have replaced a total of one broken striker.

There was an issue with a few guns in which the sights would drift. Mark the dovetail of your gun with a pencil prior to shooting. look afterwards to see if there was any movement.

The only thing I am disappointed with the M&P is the texturing on the frame. It's lame. I stippled the removable back strap, which helps. But I wish they would have made the texturing on the front of the grip more aggressive.

range is on the to do list next week when some money comes in.

I actually traded in my 9c for the full sized version.

G34Shooter
05-01-10, 22:10

Thank you! I can't wait for my skills to catch up to the gun lol

BVickery
05-01-10, 22:27
Got to agree your gun looks awesome. In time will have it set up just as good as yours (do think the Apex parts are wroth the investmetn).

The question is trigger job or not.

G34Shooter
05-01-10, 22:31
Got to agree your gun looks awesome. In time will have it set up just as good as yours (do think the Apex parts are wroth the investmetn).

The question is trigger job or not.

Without the Apex parts, I would have never bought it in the first place :cool:

Alpha Sierra
05-01-10, 22:32
Clean it
Oil it
Shoot it

I gotta plus one this one.

M4arc
05-02-10, 11:17
Thank you! I can't wait for my skills to catch up to the gun lol

I've come to the conclusion that my skills will never catch up to what the gun is capable of. I can live with that.

Without the Apex parts, I would have never bought it in the first place :cool:

Really? Interesting. I have a couple thoughts around this but have kept them to myself given all the drama, chest thumping, and penis-size-comparing surrounding M&Ps (vs Glocks) here on the forum lately.

I think that speaks volumes for what Randy and APEX are doing for the M&P platform. If people are buying M&Ps because of the APEX parts that's pretty fantastic! I look at it the other way, however...ah I'll save that for another thread :D

G34Shooter
05-02-10, 11:35
Oh and just an FYI, my Home Defense handgun is still my Glock 19 with an x300 until I get more trigger time with the M&P :eek:

M4arc
05-02-10, 11:40
Don't get me wrong, I like the M&Ps and I'm glad to see APEX offer their products to improve the M&P platform. I can see, that at some point in the future, I'll be primarily carrying an M&P. Just not now.

G34Shooter
05-02-10, 11:44
Don't get me wrong, I like the M&Ps and I'm glad to see APEX offer their products to improve the M&P platform. I can see, that at some point in the future, I'll be primarily carrying an M&P. Just not now.

Yeah S&W needs to raise their QC standards a bit more...

texag
05-02-10, 12:26
My M&Ps as they sit now:
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/TexAg10/Firearms/P10103602.jpg

Mods:
10-8 rear
Grip texture
Mag floorplates all replaced with compact floorplates
"Toe" on bottom of grip reduced
Trigger guard undercut and radiused

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy138/TexAg10/Firearms/P10103612.jpg

Mods:
APEX sear
Grip texture
Sights painted
Trigger guard undercut and radiused

What I plan to do to both:

Tritium F&R (10-8 will have yellow tritium added to make it a 2 dot)
APEX extractor
APEX springs and Striker block
Will probably get the APEX trigger and striker when released

Both guns have been flawless and both are carry guns. I liked the M&P platform befor APEX began making parts, but their support has brought it to another level IMO.

BVickery
05-02-10, 15:52
Just got back from the range and felt a lot more comfortable shooting this than the 9c. Have to re-learn to grip this compared to the compact given my larger hands.

Things to do:
-Newer sights, ones ideal for low light situations
-Have the Apex upgrades installed
-Concealment Holster (on order)
-Stippling on the grip.

RogerinTPA
05-02-10, 17:02
Just got back from the range and felt a lot more comfortable shooting this than the 9c. Have to re-learn to grip this compared to the compact given my larger hands.

Things to do:
-Newer sights, ones ideal for low light situations
-Have the Apex upgrades installed
-Concealment Holster (on order)
-Stippling on the grip.

Agreed, however, after finding the X-grip Mag adapters (which are excellent by the way), it was a game changer for the 9c, allowing one to use full sized M&P mags for the 9c & 40c. It allows me to get a better grip when drawing and it doesn't feel like an after market product in your hand. It really feels like a chopped down full size.

RogerinTPA
05-02-10, 17:07
Clean it
Oil it
Shoot it

I never had a problem with stock parts on my M&Ps either. I shot them well enough, but...after installing the Apex sears and striker blocks, that was the V8 moment for me. Felt like I was shooting a complete set of new custom pistols.

C4IGrant
05-02-10, 17:51
Hoping to get to the range next week to put some rounds through her and will certainly do that.

I would get the Apex striker block and sear. Makes the trigger 100 times better.

The older strikers did not do so well with excessive dry firing.

C4

BVickery
05-02-10, 17:51
Agreed, however, after finding the X-grip Mag adapters (which are excellent by the way), it was a game changer for the 9c, allowing one to use full sized M&P mags for the 9c & 40c. It allows me to get a better grip when drawing and it doesn't feel like an after market product in your hand. It really feels like a chopped down full size.

Damn, would have tried those first, but ah well. I got a nice new gun and overall happy with the new gun. And for me it wasn't the grip when drawing, it was when shooting.

BVickery
05-02-10, 17:52
I would get the Apex striker block and sear. Makes the trigger 100 times better.

The older strikers did not do so well with excessive dry firing.

C4
Grant,

Thanks for chiming in. So would do the Apex drop in stuff first and then go from there then?

Also, since this is a new gun, should put a few hundred rounds through it before sending it in, or when I can?

C4IGrant
05-02-10, 18:36
Grant,

Thanks for chiming in. So would do the Apex drop in stuff first and then go from there then?

Also, since this is a new gun, should put a few hundred rounds through it before sending it in, or when I can?

Shoot the gun and make sure it runs.

Then order the parts (which you can install yourself).

C4

Beat Trash
05-02-10, 19:14
You guys are killing me. I might break down and try an Apex sear/block in my personally owned M&P.

Changing the sear to a non-factory issued one is not an option for my issued duty gun.

I, for one, like my duty gun and off-duty gun to be as similar as possible. So for now, both will have to remain stock.

texag
05-02-10, 20:14
You guys are killing me. I might break down and try an Apex sear/block in my personally owned M&P.

Changing the sear to a non-factory issued one is not an option for my issued duty gun.

I, for one, like my duty gun and off-duty gun to be as similar as possible. So for now, both will have to remain stock.

Don't do it, you'll hate the stock gun's trigger afterwards.

G34Shooter
05-02-10, 20:21

I agree...

RogerinTPA
05-02-10, 21:00

Agreed wholeheartedly. It will be like eating fillet Mignon, and then being force fed Salisbury steak!

BVickery
05-02-10, 23:04
How hard are the Apex upgrades to put in, and, what sights should I be looking at?

RogerinTPA
05-03-10, 07:25
How hard are the Apex upgrades to put in, and, what sights should I be looking at?

The sear is easy. Apex has a YouTube Vid for installation. It doesn't hurt to have an M&P DVD either, to help break the weapon completely down IF one chose to do so.

The striker blocks, I had installed by a Smith, since I had new sights, (Warrens 2 dot) installed. I also like Heinie's two dot.

BVickery
05-03-10, 09:23
The sear is easy. Apex has a YouTube Vid for installation. It doesn't hurt to have an M&P DVD either, to help break the weapon completely down IF one chose to do so.

The striker blocks, I had installed by a Smith, since I had new sights, (Warrens 2 dot) installed. I also like Heinie's two dot.

Thanks, just put the order in at G&R like 2 minutes ago.