PDA

View Full Version : KAC URX II rifle length w/Larue stealth vs VIS3?

cop1211
04-30-10, 19:11
Trying to decide on the KAC URXII rifle length and Larue stealth, or the VLTOR VIS3. BBl will be 16 inch Noveske. General purpose duty/SWAT rifle.

By the looks the URX seems to have a thinner profile, no?

Any opinions are welcomed.

ryanm
04-30-10, 19:35
All are good options. If this is a new custom build I'd lean towards the VIS. If you already have an upper then I'd go with the Knights. The new URX-II has the built in front flip-up. The URX-II is also almost 13". (bear in mind, you'll need the $250 tool to install a URX). Both are for sale at operationparts.com right, now and that is a rare combo to be able to buy the rail plus the wrench at the same time. Its usually a one or the other deal.

The larue is also a solid offering, I just prefer Knights and DD for the majority of my builds.

You can't go wrong with any of the options your looking towards. If you already pretty familiar with the AR platform, the VIS will give you something new to learn. When I bought my first VIS system, I think I played with it for about an hour just checking it out. It is a very elegant and well thought out solution.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-30-10, 20:37
Trying to decide on the KAC URXII rifle length and Larue stealth, or the VLTOR VIS3. BBl will be 16 inch Noveske. General purpose duty/SWAT rifle.

By the looks the URX seems to have a thinner profile, no?

Any opinions are welcomed.

There was some info about how the VIS uppers are bigger around than most. I think they are like a lot of the Medwest Indusrtys tuff in size, maybe a 1/2 or 1/4 inch in one of the dimensions. I had a Noveske SPR with Vis on order awhile back and I figured with rail covers it would be kind of big, just went with a Recce.

AEROX711
04-30-10, 21:02
I have no experience with the URX so I cannot say on its behalf.. I DO however have a VIS3 housing an 18" Noveske stainless barrel. The VIS3 is a solid and rigid component that I am a huge fan of. I have a newer one which is forged. The older ones were billet if I understand correctly. I enjoy having the upper receiver/hand guards as one existing unit providing a seamless upper rail and robust platform to mount magnified optics.

My VIS3 came with the barrel wrench, and the guy above said the URX needed a $250 tool. That would be deciding factor for me personally. Good luck deciding!

cop1211
04-30-10, 21:48
I'm having it built, so no worries over the wrench.

Also trying to decide on the urx rifle length or mid?????

mhall
04-30-10, 22:47
i really like the rifle length urx 2 on my new upper. have never tried the mid length yet. i went with the rifle length to cover the gas block on centurion mid length gas system barrel and for the sight radius. i like the way it drives from target to target. i think there is an 1 1/2 difference in the two lengths so if weight might be an issue you might consider the mid length urx.

FPembleton
04-30-10, 23:48
Does anyone happen to have side-by-side picture comparisons of the mid and rifle length URXs on 16" barrels?

Thanks.

JohnnyC
05-01-10, 01:27
Does anyone happen to have side-by-side picture comparisons of the mid and rifle length URXs on 16" barrels?

Thanks.

If you can wait for a few days for my rifle to come back from getting the URX put on I'll post a picture. Although my mid-length rail is my 11.5" barrel not a 16"

Magic_Salad0892
05-01-10, 04:49
Go with the URX II. (My real recommendation.)

Or Daniel Defence.