PDA

View Full Version : FL - CCW holder stops bank robbery. 2nd incident w/video.

Irish
04-30-10, 19:48
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100429/BREAKINGNEWS/100429014/1086/Off-duty+security+guard+halts+Palm+Bay+bank+robbery

PALM BAY -- A 62-year-old off-duty security guard is being credited with thwarting an attempted bank robbery in Palm Bay this afternoon.

The attempted robbery occurred just before 2 p.m. at the Space Coast Credit Union at 150 Malabar Rd., not far from the Palm Bay Police Department headquarters.

“The robber was apprehended by a customer with a concealed weapons permit,” said Yvonne Martinez, spokeswoman for the Palm Bay Police Department.

The suspect, Floyd Francis, 23, was taken into custody after the off-duty security guard, identified as Rueben Torres, stepped out of the branch office and walked to the parking lot.

“I went to the car and got my weapon,” said Torres, who stopped off at the bank before heading to work. Torres then pulled his 9mm on the robber before he left the branch building.

“I guess it’s the New Yorker in me,” Torres said about his decision to get involved.

The suspect appeared apologetic before officers arrived and placed him in handcuffs, Rueben said.

He was taken to police headquarters for further questioning, officials said.

Bank staffers, including the tellers, gave Torres several hugs.

"Mr. Torres' actions, while not encouraged, are appreciated and were very courageous," Lt. Mark Renkens said in a statement. "He took action to stop a crime in progress and fortunately made a positive difference in the outcome."
A positive outcome and a courageous man, well done. However, there a few things I don't understand. You have a CC permit and you have to retrieve your gun from your car, why? Maybe that's the New Yorker in him, walking around defenseless?

m4fun
04-30-10, 20:12
Excellent story - maybe he had to go back to the car because the bank had a "no guns" sign posted :)

Irish
04-30-10, 20:22
Excellent story - maybe he had to go back to the car because the bank had a "no guns" sign posted :)

Good point, I don't know the gun laws in FL very well. When carrying concealed here in NV I'd ignore any sign and this is a prime example why.

Robb Jensen
04-30-10, 21:13
Is some states the signs carry the weight of the law. Not so in some states. Here in VA regardless of signs you can carry in a bank. If discovered that you're carrying and you're asked to leave you had better leave. After that then you are in fact breaking the law by trespassing (misdemeanor).

Irish
04-30-10, 21:24
Is some states the signs carry the weight of the law. Not so in some states. Here in VA regardless of signs you can carry in a bank. If discovered that you're carrying and you're asked to leave you had better leave. After that then you are in fact breaking the law by trespassing (misdemeanor).

Same as Nevada. I didn't consider the different state thing in my first post, oops!

Alpha Sierra
04-30-10, 22:44
I'm not risking my life or my freedom for just the bank's money.

bkb0000
04-30-10, 23:02
I'm not risking my life or my freedom for just the bank's money.

you risk yours, or theirs. your choice- but those are the only options.

Alpha Sierra
05-01-10, 08:03
you risk yours, or theirs. your choice- but those are the only options.

Read my statement very, very carefully and try to think about what it means.

M4arc
05-01-10, 08:17

"Oh, I didn't see the sign when I walked in. My bad." :D

BadWolf88
05-01-10, 08:27
You have a CC permit and you have to retrieve your gun from your car, why? Maybe that's the New Yorker in him, walking around defenseless?
although I wont admit to anyone when and where I carry or dont carry, thats the New Yorker in me, I do have a few friends that carry but when going in to places such as a Bank or airport they leave their weapon in there car.

not saying I agree, just what they do!

glockeyed
05-01-10, 09:19
no gun signs are just signs in FL, other than maybe the property owner could try and get you for trespass.

but a lot of people think they can't carry in banks.

maybe we should reconsider them since they are gov owned now right? ;)

Alpha Sierra
05-01-10, 11:28
Banks are not on the statutory list of prohibited places in Ohio.

Some post (which makes it a misdemeanor to enter armed) and some do not. 5/3 bank (which posts its Ohio branches but not its Kentucky branches) lost ALL of its business with me (checking, savings, investments portfolio) to Chase (which does not post ANY of its offices).

I carry every single time I got to my bank to do business. I also will do whatever I can to financially hurt any business that posts against lawful concealed carry.

One of my acquaintances owns the Chrysler/Dodge dealer in town. He, like most other dealers in Ohio, post no guns signs on their door. I wrote a letter to him explaining exactly why I would not spend a dime there even though I own two Chrysler products.

This shit goes both ways.

SpookyPistolero
05-01-10, 11:36
Great story! I love these stories. I, too, carry in any bank despite the signs. Don't ask, don't tell. What other place to you go to in day-to-day errands, that you'd be more likely to need a gun in?

bkb0000
05-01-10, 11:39
Read my statement very, very carefully and try to think about what it means.

its not a long nor complicated statement. you're not risking yourself for banks' money. me either.

but when somebody has a gun to a teller's face, it's not the bank's money that's being threatened.

RogerinTPA
05-01-10, 11:56
It's a common misconception, but there is no prohibition against carrying concealed in a bank here in FL. The law goes so far as to say that you may need a fire arm, if withdrawing large amounts of cash or visiting ATMs after hours.

Alpha Sierra
05-01-10, 19:07
but when somebody has a gun to a teller's face, it's not the bank's money that's being threatened.
If I don't perceive that either I or one of mine is being threatened, I will not act. I carry a handgun and the will to use it for me and mine. No other reason.

Irish
05-05-10, 11:34
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just add on to this one. Follow link for video: http://www.wesh.com/crime/23329702/detail.html

TITUSVILLE, Fla. -- An armed robbery at a Titusville bank Friday night was thwarted by a customer, police said.

It was the second incident in as many days in the area that a Good Samaritan had taken down a bank robber.

"I should have blown him away," said David, who asked not to have his last name released. I don't suggest saying this to anyone, much less the media.

He was a customer at Riverside Bank when a man held up the place with a knife.

When the robber ran out, David said he chased him through the mud in his socks and caught him.

"I split him like a piñata," David said. "There were $20 (bills) all over the place."

David had his .357-caliber Magnum on him. He said his concealed weapons permit and right to carry a gun are very important to him.

"Everybody get a gun," David said.

Another concealed weapons permit holder, Ruben Torres, foiled a bank robber in Palm Bay 24 hours earlier. In that case, the guy gave up easily. This was different, David said.

"He was trying to use his knife," he said. "I pistol-whipped him and split his head open and got blood all over me."

Police identified the suspect as 55-year-old Michael Peterson, of Titusville.

He was put under observation at a nearby hospital before being taken to jail.
A positive outcome but this guy sounds like a bit of a wingnut talking about splitting open people like pinatas and I definitely wouldn't recommend pistol whipping knife wielding bank robbers.

John_Wayne777
05-05-10, 11:42
There is a certain exhilaration that can follow triumph in an armed conflict, whether it's dropping a threat in a gunfight or beating a bad guy into submission. It is best if one does not allow that feeling to overcome their ability to control the language they use to describe the incident to the authorities or to the press.

Irish
05-05-10, 11:45
There is a certain exhilaration that can follow triumph in an armed conflict, whether it's dropping a threat in a gunfight or beating a bad guy into submission. It is best if one does not allow that feeling to overcome their ability to control the language they use to describe the incident to the authorities or to the press.

That's what I meant to say ;)

Cold Zero
05-05-10, 13:25
It's a common misconception, but there is no prohibition against carrying concealed in a bank here in FL. The law goes so far as to say that you may need a fire arm, if withdrawing large amounts of cash or visiting ATMs after hours.

I know of at least one bank in Fl. that has small signs near the front door, no carrying. Wachovia.

In Fl. are you allowed to CCW in a Hotel if the hotel does not prohibit such on their web site, nor with any signage to that effect anywhere on their property ?

Thanks.

builtf0rdtough
05-05-10, 13:29
thats awesome. lol I always carry my g23 with me. Dont leave home w/o it anymore since i got my ccw. I do feel wierd walking into banks with it though, but carrying it all the time is good for me since I will be carrying when I get hired to an agency, the sense of danger/power will not be new anylonger

Palmguy
05-05-10, 13:29
I know of at least one bank in Fl. that has small signs near the front door, no carrying. Wachovia.

In Fl. are you allowed to CCW in a Hotel if the hotel does not prohibit such on their web site, nor with any signage to that effect anywhere on their property ?

Thanks.

Disclaimer: Not a lawyer.

That said, signs posted on locations not listed as prohibited under FS 790.06 (12)* do not carry the weight of law. Neither banks nor hotels are prohibited places under Florida law.

If you are made and asked to leave, you must do so or you could run the risk of being charged with trespassing.

*"(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083."

Trajan
05-05-10, 13:36
Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just add on to this one. Follow link for video: http://www.wesh.com/crime/23329702/detail.html

A positive outcome but this guy sounds like a bit of a wingnut talking about splitting open people like pinatas and I definitely wouldn't recommend pistol whipping knife wielding bank robbers.
I actually found that quite funny. Probably not a smart idea to talk to the media like that, but funny none the less.

Irish
05-05-10, 13:38
I actually found that quite funny. Probably not a smart idea to talk to the media like that, but funny none the less.

Me too, especially considering it's Cinco de Mayo :D

RogerinTPA
05-05-10, 20:25

Thanks.

Unless posted, you are GTG.

There is a law that passed a while back, to allow the storage of a firearm in your vehicle, on private property (at a job that doesn't allow concealed carry), to prevent business owners from prohibiting a CWL holder, to store that weapon in his/her's vehicle.

Palmguy
05-05-10, 20:46
Unless posted, you are GTG.

There is a law that passed a while back, to allow the storage of a firearm in your vehicle, on private property (at a job that doesn't allow concealed carry), to prevent business owners from prohibiting a CWL holder, to store that weapon in his/her's vehicle.

Even if it is posted, you're still not breaking the law by carrying unless it's listed in 790.06...

Artos
05-05-10, 21:03
in tx we can ignore all signs accept for the official 30.06...it's friggin huge and covers the whole door / impossible to miss. I have only seen them on hospitals in Houston & one at the county court house.

They are an eyesore and my opinion is they wrote the law that way to help us out. My bank has a small handgun w/ a line through it.