PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on free float tubes

Norman
04-30-10, 22:13
I知 planning on getting a 16" mid length upper from BCM. I have no experience with free float fore ends. I知 looking at:
VTAC TRX 13"
PRI 12"
Midwest Industries T-12 and SS-12

I want something durable but light weight in that price range. I知 leaning toward the SS-12 or VTAC because I don稚 need full length rails on all four sides.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Dos Cylindros
04-30-10, 22:55
I like the VTAC but don't have any personal experience with it. I recently purchased a BCM 16" middy with the Danile Defense 12.0 lite rail and I really like it.

Joeywhat
04-30-10, 23:10
I have the VTAC modular tube, and like it very much. I believe it's very similar to the one you're referring to. Light weight, easily add rails where you want, is a solid setup that feels rock hard...in fact I have my aimpoint mounted on mine with zero issues, along with a light and DD fixed front sight.

My main complaint is that rail sections are expensive, although they mount very solidly. I like the fact that it's quite slim. Pleasant to hold onto.

m-4 5.56
05-01-10, 11:39
I have Midwest industries two piece free float on one of my rifles ,I like it alot better than my troy ,but it is not a la rue by no means but it is really good definitely for the price.:)

shadow65
05-01-10, 12:39
Tubes as opposed to Quad rails definetly have their place. It just depends on the application. If you don't need all the rails, as on a target set up, the tube is much lighter, and usually cheaper.

Joeywhat
05-01-10, 14:14
Tubes as opposed to Quad rails definetly have their place. It just depends on the application. If you don't need all the rails, as on a target set up, the tube is much lighter, and usually cheaper.

You can always buy a tube that allows rails to be mounted...I've got a light, fixed front sight and aimpoint mounted on my tube. You could mount a VFG on it too if that's your sort of thing. The better part with a tube is that you can typically add rails only where you want, and not have rails coming out your ass.

Norman
05-01-10, 16:10
The better part with a tube is that you can typically add rails only where you want, and not have rails coming out your ass.

That's what I was thinking.

Failure2Stop
05-01-10, 16:41
One of my guns now sports a VTAC Extreme Battle rail.
I like the way it handles and feels in the hand.
It does get warm when in extended strings of fire. This is not abnormal, but without rail covers it is more apparent.
I did not really notice the rail getting past the point of comfort with bare hands until yesterday when I put about 200 rounds through the gun in a short timeframe.

Norman
05-03-10, 19:49
I ended up going with the VTAC. Thank you to all who replied.

Gutshot John
05-03-10, 21:03
I did not really notice the rail getting past the point of comfort with bare hands until yesterday when I put about 200 rounds through the gun in a short timeframe.

Was that gloved or ungloved? Just curious.

Thanks.