PDA

View Full Version : Magpul (MOE) Illumination Kit is out

Stickman
04-30-10, 22:45
This kit contains two Surefire pressure switch mounts, and two different rail sections.

http://www.magpul.com/assets/files/Newsfeed/Magpul-Newsfeed-IlluminationKit.pdf

http://store.magpul.com/product/67/103

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20V/STCK1196-1024-Stick.jpg

Jake Bauer
05-01-10, 00:39
Wow.. that looks slick!

PdxMotoxer
05-01-10, 02:52
Right On.

To bad after reading midway moving the date these expected in
to sometime next month i ordered the new MOE 5 slot rail.
(I know NEVER trust anyone on their release date other than the company themselves and even then release dates are never set in stone)

I wish i could get that 3 slot rail. or even just that angled 3 slot rail.

Thanks Stick Great picture as always!!

Magic_Salad0892
05-01-10, 04:57
I kind of dig that actually.

And I loathe lights. I'm a night vision guy.

SoDak
05-01-10, 21:44
I hope magpul offers the rail pieces from the illumination kit at a later date. I'd like the cantilever rail, but don't have any need for the switch mounts or other rail piece.

highxj
05-01-10, 21:50
I hope magpul offers the rail pieces from the illumination kit at a later date. I'd like the cantilever rail, but don't have any need for the switch mounts or other rail piece.

I sent them an email BEGGING them to sell me a couple of the cantilever rails. Like you I have no use for the other stuff... Will let you know what they say.

Dan

Ak44
05-01-10, 22:00
Wow very cool, nice and clean looking on the MOE Handguards.

Trajan
05-01-10, 22:51
Didn't Chris Costa and Co. say that activation switches are bad?

Stickman
05-02-10, 00:22

When did Chris tell you that, and what was the context?

Dos Cylindros
05-02-10, 00:39

Saying this makes me feel like a nerd, but Travis Haley said it during the gear review section of Tactical Carbine II. He didn't say they were bad, just said he did not prefer them, and they wear out faster that push button switches.

Dunderway
05-02-10, 00:52
and two different rail sections.

So it's a rail mount and not a MOE specific mount, enabling me to mount a Surefire pad to any rail? Like my old 952 to my RAS? Just wondering since I originally believed it would be MOE specific.

ETA: Nevermind, I figured it out. Tell them to make a Surefire pad mount that clips onto a regular 1913.

JSantoro
05-02-10, 01:06
He didn't say they were bad, just said he did not prefer them, and they wear out faster that push button switches.

That makes it sound like there's two types of remote switch, when he was referring to the buttons of whatever device is in question. The activation switches on a light or laser are far more durable.

It's a cogent point, that tape/remote switches are failure prone, usually by being yanked from their receptacle by the cord instead of the plug (especially those with angled plugs). All that means is that those that use them should be sure to have spares on hand.

markdh720
05-02-10, 10:41
I'm with a couple of the previous posters. I just want the cantilever rail mount. I've got a MOE handguard with a light attached and want the cantilever mount to move the light about an inch. I didn't care for the one tape/pressure switch I tried.

Trajan
05-02-10, 12:17

Saying this makes me feel like a nerd, but Travis Haley said it during the gear review section of Tactical Carbine II. He didn't say they were bad, just said he did not prefer them, and they wear out faster that push button switches.

Woops, must have been Travis.

I believe he also said that they have a tendency to get ripped off and broken under "dynamic environments".

SoDak
05-02-10, 12:25
It's a cogent point, that tape/remote switches are failure prone, usually by being yanked from their receptacle by the cord instead of the plug (especially those with angled plugs). All that means is that those that use them should be sure to have spares on hand.

I bought an old 6p(laser products marked) with a factory tape switch a while back. The light itself looked damn near new, but the tapes witch was done for. The rubber had split on both sides exposing the switch. I stuck a shrink tube over it and taped it up, but in the end I just bought a regular tailcap for it since I had no confidence in the tape switch. I'm sure tape switches have improved since then and I would guess anyone who can afford a tape switch equipped surefire can probably afford spare switches. I've just decided to stay away from tape switches for the time being.

JSantoro
05-02-10, 12:35
Yeah, I just put my MFAL/white light devices on the rail where I can manipulate them. Military folk are sometimes limited by SOP or the ancillary stuff they need to run on the rails to having no choice but to use them.

For those who DO run tape switches, however, having a housing like the one shown above and taking the time to zip-tie or rubber-band the wire down goes a long way to keeping the things from going TU on you.

I know some guys that use a hot glue gun, but everybody has to re-assemble all that trash if they do maintenance or have to swap out devices. I'm not patient enough with minutiae like that to put up with it; add breakage, I can't be bothered. Inner-tube sections work great...up until the time they start melting to your barrel and handguard.

Tomahawk_Ghost
05-02-10, 12:57
Magpul has a great combination of Engineering, Manufacturing, and Price.

This is just another great product from them.

Dos Cylindros
05-02-10, 13:31
For those just waning the cantilever rail attachment, I understand but doubt Magpul will sell only those parts. When you consider the whole kit is only like $20.00 you could always just by the whole kit and let a buddy use the rest of the parts, or I guess you could sell them. Don't know who would buy them but all in all it's not a great expense to just get the whole kit at once and not use what you don't need.

godsmack
05-02-10, 13:34
I will be picking one of these up asap. Thanks for the pics.

Eric Shelton
05-07-10, 23:12

I remember that on the DVD, too. Just remember that Magpul Dynamics is a training organization and Magpul is a sales oriented manufacturer. And while a certain method may not be preferred by MD, the fact remains that some people like the setup and are going to run it anyway. So if that's the case, it makes all the sense in the world for Magpul to say, "If you're going to ignore the MD advice and run a tape switch, at least buy our tape switch setup." Right?

Mr Gone
05-08-10, 02:29
Woops, must have been Travis.

I believe he also said that they have a tendency to get ripped off and broken under "dynamic environments".

Wasn't that they could be activated mistakenly under stress? Valid point if your grip normally covers the switch.

SmokeJumper
05-08-10, 23:08
Looks cool. Thanks for spreading the news

LAWMAN34
05-12-10, 19:52
The MOE is a great rail and is one of my best sellers. I'm glad to see this addition.

usmcvet
05-16-10, 21:12
Right On.

To bad after reading midway moving the date these expected in
to sometime next month i ordered the new MOE 5 slot rail.
(I know NEVER trust anyone on their release date other than the company themselves and even then release dates are never set in stone)

I wish i could get that 3 slot rail. or even just that angled 3 slot rail.

Thanks Stick Great picture as always!!

I just ordered the light kit from Brownells, I heard AIM has them too.

I do not want the tape switch either but for $20 it is still a good deal.

nickdrak
01-06-11, 08:26
Are the remote switch attachment able to be mounted on the top of the MOE handguards?

usmcvet
01-06-11, 10:41
Are the remote switch attachment able to be mounted on the top of the MOE handguards?

Nick

I don't think MagPul wants you mounting anything up there. But. The Mount n Slot stuff works well up there. I don’t have my MOE guy with me now is there a heat shield up there? If my memory is right the heat shield is only on the bottom section and it wraps around the sides. I know on the sides attaches where there is no heat shield. Not sure if it will fit. PM me your address and I will mail you mine. I don’t use tape switches but they came with the kit.

usmcvet
01-06-11, 10:44
Just looked online and it does not attach the same way as the rails. It looks like it just snaps on.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG402/103

Dos Cylindros
01-06-11, 16:09
Just looked online and it does not attach the same way as the rails. It looks like it just snaps on.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG402/103

True, I have the illumination kid for a set of middy MOE's and the tape switch housings snap into the slots in the handgaurd.

usmcvet
01-06-11, 19:56
"The MOE illumination kit is not designed to be mounted on the top vent section (12 o'clock ) of the MOE. This vented section is not protected by the heat shied ...... may result in dammage to....kit or accessories ."

I just tried it and it fits.

usmcvet
01-06-11, 19:59
The mounting plates slide around quite a bit back and forth. The pad must stick to the handguards and keep it still.

Dano5326
01-10-11, 07:49
There is nothing inherently bad with tape switches, and many ergonomic benefits. 100% of operational gear has a service life, tape switches, bolts and boots included. I have had switches outlast my bolts & boots many times over.

The Magpul Dynamics crew has very limited "real world" experience and spends their days teaching civilians with even less.

Their viewpoint will reflect their personal experience, or lack of, and that of interaction with their clientele... biased against average joe who doesn't know how to smartly secure cable/cords/lights or handle weapon in a manner with regard to attachments. I routinely show new guys weapon accessory and cord (commo) management/securing tips & techniques.

Does this kit take the standard us mil PEQ/white light tape switches?

Treehopr
01-10-11, 12:11
There is nothing inherently bad with tape switches, and many ergonomic benefits. 100% of operational gear has a service life, tape switches, bolts and boots included. I have had switches outlast my bolts & boots many times over.

The Magpul Dynamics crew has very limited "real world" experience and spends their days teaching civilians with even less.

Their viewpoint will reflect their personal experience, or lack of, and that of interaction with their clientele... biased against average joe who doesn't know how to smartly secure cable/cords/lights or handle weapon in a manner with regard to attachments. I routinely show new guys weapon accessory and cord (commo) management/securing tips & techniques.

Does this kit take the standard us mil PEQ/white light tape switches?

:confused:

Not sure where you made the leap to say that Magpul thinks that tape switches are inherently bad.

FWIW- Other industry training folks I know have also expressed that they avoid tape switches when possible.

The kit is designed around Surefire tape switches.

tiktat
01-10-11, 19:54
I like it.

Iraqgunz
01-10-11, 20:40
Tape switches are fine, if you have good ones and you set them up correctly. I use them and I make sure that they are secured with zip ties and route that cable to it is only minimally exposed.

lethal dose
01-10-11, 21:21
:confused:

Not sure where you made the leap to say that Magpul thinks that tape switches are inherently bad.

FWIW- Other industry training folks I know have also expressed that they avoid tape switches when possible.

The kit is designed around Surefire tape switches.

Show us where he said magpul thinks they're bad.

Treehopr
01-10-11, 22:30
Show us where he said magpul thinks they're bad.

That's the reason I'm confused- Dano5326 starts by stating that "There is nothing inherently bad with tape switches..."

and then goes on to state:

"The Magpul Dynamics crew has very limited "real world" experience and spends their days teaching civilians with even less.

Their viewpoint will reflect their personal experience, or lack of, and that of interaction with their clientele... biased against average joe who doesn't know how to smartly secure cable/cords/lights or handle weapon in a manner with regard to attachments. I routinely show new guys weapon accessory and cord (commo) management/securing tips & techniques."

So, I'm not clear on whether Dano5326 is implying that Magpul Dynamics is teaching something that goes against Dano5326's experience.

lethal dose
01-10-11, 22:37
He's referring to their experience in general, I'd say.

Dano5326
01-11-11, 09:14
O geez, surprised my comment garnered any discussion.

The vein of what I gathered skimming through the 1st page, is that some Magpul personalities recommended against tape switches.

We are all creatures of our experience and environment. If I walked in a white light, square range, training world & taught non-professional shooters I might recommend stupid simple nearly unbreakable modalities too. Gearing toward the lowest common denominator is not my way.

An increased performance envelope mandates a higher level of individual capability, awareness and maintainence of whatever gun, vehicle, plane, parachute, etc. is being used.

In my world it is not practical, desirable or fast enough, to do without tape switches running two or more devices.

AggiePhil
06-25-12, 15:08
Could someone with a MOE Illumination Kit measure the spacing of the pressure switch mounting tabs that lock into the vent holes on the MOE handguard? I'm trying to see if they'd by chance fit into the angled vent slots on the LMT LM8MRP handguard. Thanks.

ZoneOne
06-25-12, 16:42
I'd like one that would fit on a normal rail. Would be a great way to secure the standard SF tape switch on top of your rail (or side) with out velcro tape. It would be a cheaper alternative to the SR07 model.

A lot of Surefires come with the standard XM07, the ability to mount that in the same fashion as the SR07 would be cool.

AggiePhil
06-25-12, 16:51
I'd like one that would fit on a normal rail. Would be a great way to secure the standard SF tape switch on top of your rail (or side) with out velcro tape. It would be a cheaper alternative to the SR07 model.

A lot of Surefires come with the standard XM07, the ability to mount that in the same fashion as the SR07 would be cool.

Can you not run small zipties through the holes on either end of the Magpul adapters, then run those through the rail? I'd try that.

usmcvet
06-25-12, 17:15
Could someone with a MOE Illumination Kit measure the spacing of the pressure switch mounting tabs that lock into the vent holes on the MOE handguard? I'm trying to see if they'd by chance fit into the angled vent slots on the LMT LM8MRP handguard. Thanks.

If you PM me your address I will mail you mine tomorrow.

On the same note I have the MOE rails the smallest two and the MOE light kit. The light kit will fit in the new MOR handguards with the flat not round red top. It would not fit on an older set of MOE handguards I just put on my .22 upper. I could sand it or grind it down to get it to fit but I was surprised it wouldn't fit it was to wide. Anyone else have the same issue?