PDA

View Full Version : Blame It on Mr. Rogers: Why Young Adults Feel So Entitled

ZDL
05-01-10, 00:26

Buckaroo
05-01-10, 00:36
I have amazing children! They work hard and expect to be challenged.

Sorry to see so many who want to be "special" but are only average at best.

Self Esteem is great when it is earned, when not earned it is a mill stone around one's neck.

Buckaroo

BVickery
05-01-10, 00:58
I am back in college, and given I am a lot older than a lot of the students I usually talk with the Prof's.

It is one of the number 1 things they complain about. The kids now they are seeing (for the most part) expect that just showing up = A. That they don't have to really work for their grade.

Also, don't lay the blame solely at Mr. Rogers, also take a look at the public schooling in general, it seems that very few keep kids back. Hell, I remember 1 school was being brought to court by a parent because they wanted to hold the kid back.

PdxMotoxer
05-01-10, 02:39
Blame what on Mr Rogers?

He was nothing more than a T.V. show host.
Like many years back blaming Beavis and Butthead because that kid
set his trailer on fire. (Beavis use to joke and say fire.. fire... fire...)
Turned out that family didn't even have cable.

Let's try something new. blame the kid and if any other fingers need to be pointed then the parents.

I still don't get why Mr Rogers is to blame for kids "feeling Entitled".

*If i'm missing something because of an EDIT, maybe the title to this should have also been edited*

Mark/MO
05-01-10, 10:51
Also, don't lay the blame solely at Mr. Rogers, also take a look at the public schooling in general, it seems that very few keep kids back. Hell, I remember 1 school was being brought to court by a parent because they wanted to hold the kid back.

Agree totally.

My wife has been a teacher in the public school system for over 20 years. Many involved in education are dedicated and truly want to help kids. However I know she gets incredibly frustrated with much of the “feel good” and “everyone’s a winner” attitudes so prevalent today. According to her it also shows up in retention proceedings or those to determine special services needs for a child. Parents and educators ignoring a problem in the short term does nothing good for the child in the long term.

skyugo
05-01-10, 13:19
Agree totally.

My wife has been a teacher in the public school system for over 20 years. Many involved in education are dedicated and truly want to help kids. However I know she gets incredibly frustrated with much of the “feel good” and “everyone’s a winner” attitudes so prevalent today. According to her it also shows up in retention proceedings or those to determine special services needs for a child. Parents and educators ignoring a problem in the short term does nothing good for the child in the long term.

yeah the everyone wins attitude doesn't do kids any favors...
bottom line, in the real world, it doesn't work that way.
they really should get some career specific training going on in high school. a high school diploma isn't worth the paper it's printed on anymore.

armakraut
05-01-10, 19:07
It's a product of turning our schools into a theme park ride instead of determining how well students do and moving them up the ladder as quickly as they can on their own. Imagine if the military moved people up in rank purely based on how long they've served and held up or kicked out the extremely incompetent, or even the criminal.

I can sympathize with why most teachers dread standardized tests. How can you teach classes effectively when most of your students were moved along the line like a bottle in the coca cola factory? The results speak for themselves, if you went off of standardized tests, most students between 50-80% of students would be earning F's. Most teachers are pretty good (some aren't), but they're never going to be all that good if you can't put qualified people in their classes.

Human intelligence runs the gambit. Saying so is regarded as insensitive, but it's the truth, not everyone is capable of higher mathematics. The horrid problem is that students are moved along at such a pace that they do not get as good of a grasp on the three R's as our grandparents generation. Most of them could easily have this essential understanding if they were forced to repeat classes with competent instructors.

Like the old Army slogan "Be all that you can be."

120mm
05-01-10, 22:26
Education in the US today is the natural consequence of having socialized it, in the Stalinist sense of the word.

Centrally directed, no financial rewards or punishments for teachers being good or bad.

THIS is what you get when you allow centralized government control.

Give education back to localities, break the government monopoly on education and take away Federal tax dollars both collected and spent in support of it. Allow individuals and localities to keep the tax dollars and spend them the way THEY want to.

BTW, to spin off Armakraut - Human Intelligence is waaaay over-rated. When it comes to individual or corporate success, I will choose work ethic over intelligence 100% of the time. If I were king of the world, I'd stop supporting allegedly "bright" student programs so much and put my assets into the middle. "Bright" kids rarely pan out. I want more entrepreneurs, and less Executive Vice Presidents of Finance and Professors of Left Handed Lesbian Studies at Stanford.

chizuck
05-01-10, 23:15
I am from the entitled generation and I have to agree with this thread. I work for what I have and that is all I deserve. Sure I would love to make 15 to 20 bucks a hour, but I don't have the qualification and with this economy I would be happy with a second minimum wage job to fill in my work week. The education system is horrible, I know that school taught me very little and if it was not for my family teaching me how to get along I would be another one of these no common sense tree hugging people I grew up with. My parents gave me a very good life and I hope to be there caliber of people.

metallic
05-02-10, 00:42
I am from the entitled generation and I have to agree with this thread. I work for what I have and that is all I deserve. Sure I would love to make 15 to 20 bucks a hour, but I don't have the qualification and with this economy I would be happy with a second minimum wage job to fill in my work week. The education system is horrible, I know that school taught me very little and if it was not for my family teaching me how to get along I would be another one of these no common sense tree hugging people I grew up with. My parents gave me a very good life and I hope to be there caliber of people.

I'm from the same generation, and I agree. Those who got ahead are those who had a family at home that actually cared about what their kid got out of their education. I had parents that actually instilled in me a kind of pride that made me care about the kind of grades that I earned, which has served me well so far. I've seen the same students that went to school with me turn into complete abject failures. The parents were the determining factor. Right now, I'm working as a computer programmer overseeing an entire team of other programmers. My parents prepared me well.

armakraut
05-02-10, 00:42
I've know a lot of people from my grandparents generation that were not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, but because of good schooling they were much better at math, writing and reading than most of the college graduates I've met.

People sort of forget that primary schooling is supposed to give people basic skills and some understanding of history to help them function in society, not give a jack-of-all-trades education.

Too much indoctrination, too little schooling.

hickuleas
05-02-10, 00:53
I knew i never liked that Mr. Roger's, now i have figured it out.

BVickery
05-02-10, 00:54
Blame what on Mr Rogers?

He was nothing more than a T.V. show host.
Like many years back blaming Beavis and Butthead because that kid
set his trailer on fire. (Beavis use to joke and say fire.. fire... fire...)
Turned out that family didn't even have cable.

Let's try something new. blame the kid and if any other fingers need to be pointed then the parents.

I still don't get why Mr Rogers is to blame for kids "feeling Entitled".

*If i'm missing something because of an EDIT, maybe the title to this should have also been edited*

It is blaming the kids, as well as adults who fill them with bs ideals like not hurting their feelings, or that there is no such thing as loosing etc.

Liberals are neerly conditioning kids to be normal, that being exceptional at something is bad.

bobvila
05-02-10, 01:21
One of my HS english teachers was on the tv show, he also looked and sounded just like Mr. Rogers.

Dunderway
05-02-10, 01:35
I can't see ZDL's post, but can only assume that it is trashing Fred Rogers. If it proves me wrong, please repost it.

Mr. Rogers was an amazing man that dedicated his life (on public television) to teaching children that God loved them, and they were special. Call that "liberal" if you want, but it's much better than the rank and file shit that kids are taught today, or Japanamation for that matter.

If you can watch these and tell me you don't respect the man, I don't know what to say:

U.S Senate Speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q

Award acceptance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbBwDi9RIgM&feature=related

If teaching young people to respect themselves and their community is a bad thing, then we're in trouble.

skyugo
05-02-10, 01:45
I've know a lot of people from my grandparents generation that were not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, but because of good schooling they were much better at math, writing and reading than most of the college graduates I've met.

People sort of forget that primary schooling is supposed to give people basic skills and some understanding of history to help them function in society, not give a jack-of-all-trades education.

Too much indoctrination, too little schooling.

proper training and work ethic will take you far. :cool:

ThirdWatcher
05-02-10, 01:55
Education in the US today is the natural consequence of having socialized it, in the Stalinist sense of the word.

Centrally directed, no financial rewards or punishments for teachers being good or bad.

THIS is what you get when you allow centralized government control.

Give education back to localities, break the government monopoly on education and take away Federal tax dollars both collected and spent in support of it. Allow individuals and localities to keep the tax dollars and spend them the way THEY want to.

BTW, to spin off Armakraut - Human Intelligence is waaaay over-rated. When it comes to individual or corporate success, I will choose work ethic over intelligence 100% of the time. If I were king of the world, I'd stop supporting allegedly "bright" student programs so much and put my assets into the middle. "Bright" kids rarely pan out. I want more entrepreneurs, and less Executive Vice Presidents of Finance and Professors of Left Handed Lesbian Studies at Stanford.

Man, I couldn't agree more!

IMO, our public school system does very little to prepare our young people for their future. I got so tired of attending adolescent daycare that I quit and joined the Army. Afterwards I wondered why I waited so long. ;)

boltcatch
05-02-10, 02:05
Agree totally.

There are a lot of dedicated and talented educators, but not enough. I was lucky enough to go to a school that was far above average.

Generally speaking, our public education system is just plain ****ed. Too many education majors are coming from the bottom of a barrel that isn't very outstanding in the first place.

It's a vicious cycle... young education majors come from lousy public high schools with a poor education - and are often drawn to the field for ideological reasons, if not to journalism - then receive a lousy, mostly worthless degree in programs a monkey could graduate from, were they to simply show up. These kids move on to either "educate" more public school children, or sit through a few more years of nonsense and end up teaching more education majors.

Standards keep going down and each generation is more ignorant than the last. Nothing is getting fixed because public educators are too focused on union bullshit and college educators are too focused on indoctrination and in exponentially growing their tuition rates.

There will always be a few kids who can sort themselves out without any help. For everyone else it comes down to whether or not you have parents who give a damn. Absent parental effort, we're simply turning out imbeciles who feel they're entitled to the world on a platter, and who have been convinced that they've received an education that befits our nation's place in the world.

Looming over all of this are a bunch of cultures - urban, suburban, and rural - that actually place value on being an illiterate idiot. Instead of ridiculing it into oblivion, our schools and local leaders simply wring their hands and blather on about programs and community centers and zero tolerance. **** that bullshit. Grab Mr. "I'm too cool to learn how to read and pull up my pants", toss a sign around his neck proclaiming he's an idiot, toss some clownshoes on his feet, and park his ass in front of the high school for a week or two. If they don't want the clownshoes treatment, then they should pull their head out of their ass.