PDA

View Full Version : VFG Vs. Hand Stop

Dos Cylindros
05-01-10, 15:40
I have decided the AFG does not work for me and have reverted back to the VFG, this time in the form of the new Magpul RVG. The RVG is cheap, strong, light weight and very comfortable.

My main problem is I really like the "rifle" like grip on the fore end that the AFG provides, it's just too thick for me to wrap my thumb over the top as I prefer, and I don't feel like the angle is steep enough to exert decent rearward pressure like I can with a VFG.

I am thinking that a hand stop (specifically the Knights Armament) just might be my answer. I see very few people on the forum running them, and some who seem to have gravitated away from it. I am wondering if you all have discovered something I have not by just looking at the hand stops. Are they secure?

Thoughts an opinions please, I am about to pull the trigger on one of these.

YVK
05-01-10, 17:48
There is a thing or two that I don't like about KAC handstop. The curved surface allowed for my hand to slip when I was applying a rearward pressure on it. An easy solution was to revert the handstop so hand contacts vertical surface of it. I went a difficult route - paid somebody to re-machine the surface to almost vertical, and to apply a non-slip texture to it; that made it work better, but effectively doubled the cost.
I don't have AFG - played with one and didn't like it, even though I do shoot with grip/stance MD advocates.
Having tried variety of things, my personal favorite is a short or super-short VFG (I cut down my TD stubby) .

Kissel
05-01-10, 18:03
For me, the AFG only works on rifle length handguards. Otherwise, the angle doesn;'t feel natural. I have used the KAC hand stop and like it very much, but overall I prefer a stubby VG like a cut TD. I might try the MOE and cut down.

Surf
05-01-10, 18:08
While I have become a reluctant fan of the AFG, my first impression when I first handled one was the same. I did not feel like I had enough rearward pressure on the weapon. My fix actually came naturally on the range. I really didn't plan it or realize I was doing it at first, but I adapted to wrapping my index finger around the front stop of the AFG and used it for rearward leverage. It felt really natural. As for the 'thumb over" or "C clamp" as I like to call it, I can't help with that one too much in regards to the AFG. While I do like a "C" clamp grip at times, on my working rifles I opt for a 12 O'clock mount of my light in front of the FSB so the "C" clamp is out for my particular set up and grip. I do know that I still like to run a "C" clamp on a rifle that has no AFG or VFG mounted. However I will say that running your index finger around the front stop of the AFG does shift your hand farther forward on the narrower portion of the AFG and it may give you more room to wrap that thumb over the top.

Dos Cylindros
05-01-10, 18:22
Thaks for the replies so far. There are several problems for me with the AFG. First, when I shoot thumb forward, I feel like I do not have a secure grip on the front of the carbine. Second, when I "C" clamp or "beer can" grip it, the AFG feels fairly good all be it a bit "thick." One of the other problems for me is that the AFG really starts to feel unsecure when I need to manipulate my m300 scout which is mounted at the 9:00. I use my support hand thumb to operate the tail switch.

My current set up has a low pro gas block which is covered by a 12" DD lite rail, so no FSB to get in the way of my thumb during shooting.

I think I will also look into the gear sector handstop which appears to be a quality product. I had one of their off set G2 light mounts before getting a new upper and it was quality.

ucrt
05-01-10, 20:03
I have a basic mid-length with a FSB. I bolted a rail on the bottom of my 2-piece plastic handguard to attach the AFG. I tried several positions with it (even without it), but finally just slid it as far forward as it would go. The forward end of the AFG is about 1/2" in front of the sling swivel rivet. There is nothing above the "wings" for about half their length, they are floating out there under the FSB. The AFG doesn't feel loose or weak (the clamp portion is still on the rail).

I like to wrap my index finger (like Surf stated) around the end of the front stop. In this position, I have plenty of clearance from touching something hot; the only thing close is the bayonet lug and it is a little stretch to reach it. I ty-rap the sling swivel in the up position to keep it clear.

Well, all of this is new stuff to me but I shot it a few hundred times today and I think this is where I'll leave it for a while.

thopkins22
05-02-10, 01:37
I'm toying with ordering a few of these.

http://www.gearsector.com/browse/category/mounts/weapon-controls/

bobvila
05-02-10, 01:52
Those gear sector stops look cool but they are pretty expensive for what they are. If magpul made them they would be like $10.

ChicagoTex
05-02-10, 04:05
Those gear sector stops look cool but they are pretty expensive for what they are. If magpul made them they would be like $10.

1. The gear sector units are forged, heat treated, smoothed, and type-iii finished anodized 6061-T6 aluminum. They are made to top-of-the-line standards using top-of-the-line equipment by top-of-the-line engineers. Just because something is small and doesn't do much doesn't mean it's cheap to manufacture.

2. If Magpul made them they'd be at least $20 and made of plastic, I absolutely guarantee it.
(Don't get me wrong, I really like Magpul, but almost everything they make is plastic and costs at least $20, it's almost like they're trying to make a profit or something!)

RogerinTPA
05-02-10, 09:26
I have decided the AFG does not work for me and have reverted back to the VFG, this time in the form of the new Magpul RVG. The RVG is cheap, strong, light weight and very comfortable.

My main problem is I really like the "rifle" like grip on the fore end that the AFG provides, it's just too thick for me to wrap my thumb over the top as I prefer, and I don't feel like the angle is steep enough to exert decent rearward pressure like I can with a VFG.

I am thinking that a hand stop (specifically the Knights Armament) just might be my answer. I see very few people on the forum running them, and some who seem to have gravitated away from it. I am wondering if you all have discovered something I have not by just looking at the hand stops. Are they secure?

Thoughts an opinions please, I am about to pull the trigger on one of these.

I did the same thing. I wanted to like the AFG, and ran it for a couple of months. It wasn't angled down enough for me and my hand kept slipping off when I applied more rearward pressure.

sovereign
05-02-10, 10:05
1. The gear sector units are forged, heat treated, smoothed, and type-iii finished anodized 6061-T6 aluminum.

Apparently, only the black mounts are type-III anodized. The colors are Cerakote.

ChicagoTex
05-02-10, 10:12
Apparently, only the black mounts are type-III anodized. The colors are Cerakote.

Ah, good catch. Cerakote's top notch stuff too, though, so my argument still stands.

shadow65
05-02-10, 10:15
Those are interesting