PDA

View Full Version : doublestar 1911

leopard hound
05-01-10, 17:44
anybody in here have any experience with it?

Safetyhit
05-01-10, 19:32
Nothing other than the substantial amount of advertising they seem to have been doing. Looks to be going for about $1,200 or so.

Magic_Salad0892
05-02-10, 03:42
I definitely want one.

They're cheap, they're awesome. I've put about 300 rounds one one, and the only 1911 I like more are Wilson Combat, and Colts. But then again, it was only 300. (Suppressed.)

wes007
05-02-10, 13:45
I definitely want one.

They're cheap, they're awesome. I've put about 300 rounds one one, and the only 1911 I like more are Wilson Combat, and Colts. But then again, it was only 300. (Suppressed.)

What price are they asking for them?

Magic_Salad0892
05-02-10, 19:03
Here's what I know.

Ballpark $1100, they shoot well suppressed, and they're series 70.

Kentucky Cop
05-02-10, 19:40
Show me some pictures fellas! Double Star is the next county over from me. My Emergency Response Unit runs Double Star rifles but I have yet to see their 1911's?

Ky Cop

wes007
05-02-10, 20:30
Show me some pictures fellas! Double Star is the next county over from me. My Emergency Response Unit runs Double Star rifles but I have yet to see their 1911's?

Ky Cop

Same here. I'm about 25min away from them

Pappabear
05-02-10, 20:48
For the $1,100 to $1,300 range. I would have to go for the SA Operator or TRP. I saw stainless TRP for $1,350 this week. Doublestar is making a name for themselves, but they aint SA yet.

Magic_Salad0892
05-02-10, 21:38
After handling these, I like them just as much if not more than SA.

After taking one apart, the quality shows. It seriously looks like Colt internals to me.

Give it the benefit of the doubt. It's not Remington.

Pappabear
05-02-10, 22:11
Awesome, get one and let us know. I'm Pro- buy a gun!

KingsideRook
05-03-10, 00:16
After handling these, I like them just as much if not more than SA.

After taking one apart, the quality shows. It seriously looks like Colt internals to me.

Give it the benefit of the doubt. It's not Remington.

Anytime I break out over $600 on a 1911 that isn't going to be gutted and rebuilt from the frame up, I don't benefit from any doubt. If a 1911 costs $1300+ like the DSC, I want to know who's internals are in it, are they MIM, forged, cast, what do they machine in house, what is contracted, how much is fitted vs. drop-in, and maybe even who is in charge of production and QC, etc. The description on their website is fairly light on real information.

You can get this information from any reputable manufacturer or custom 1911 smith, and if you can't get it, I say save the money and buy a Taurus PT1911. Based on the tables of non-chome-lined Wilson barrels, no-name bulk AR15 components, and counterfeit H&K T-shirts they lay out at the local gun shows, Doublestar doesn't have the past performance clout to bump them up on my "to buy" list. I'd sure rather order my expensive carry pistol that requires good, consistent work from, say, Dave Williams at Springfield Armory than J&T/Doublestar. They could surprise me, sure, but the onus is on them to provide the information that could convince me pay TRP money for their 1911.

Magic_Salad0892
05-03-10, 03:41
You're logic makes sense.

Here's my advice. Shoot one.

CaptainDooley
05-03-10, 07:29
You're logic makes sense.

Here's my advice. Shoot one.

That's terrible advice considering what his questions are. Shooting it won't answer any of them. Calling Doublestar... now that may get him somewhere. In fact, even if they don't answer his questions, it gets him somewhere. I know what my decision would be if a manufacturer refused to tell me what went into their higher end priced gun...

Lawdog-1
05-03-10, 07:59
From what I have read in 3 magazines articles, theytell me that the the hammer sear & disconnector are by Ed brown brand. Storm Lake barrel and Ed Brown beavertail & safety, Greider trigger. I like all that, just I don't want the 25 line checkering. I want Golf balled machined front strap. Novak sights come white dots or night sights. I love the Ed Brown beavertail the best of all. Wolf springs and black Strider Gunner grips. And 4.5 trigger pull.

d90king
05-03-10, 08:51
Have zero interest at that price point. None, nada zilch... A Double Star 1911 should be priced in the 750-900 range IMHO.

At 1200 +/- I would buy a used Baer in the 1500 range...

Magic_Salad0892
05-03-10, 09:04
From what I have read in 3 magazines articles, theytell me that the the hammer sear & disconnector are by Ed brown brand. Storm Lake barrel and Ed Brown beavertail & safety, Greider trigger. I like all that, just I don't want the 25 line checkering. I want Golf balled machined front strap. Novak sights come white dots or night sights. I love the Ed Brown beavertail the best of all. Wolf springs and black Strider Gunner grips. And 4.5 trigger pull.

The one I shot had a little lighter 3.5 lbs. trigger. I think it was factory.

But it was noticeably really light. Good trigger though.

maximus83
05-03-10, 09:11
Have heard of some reported issues with them. Use your Google-fu and search on some 1911 forums, you'll find the issues. They are reportedly well made using quality parts, but they are also a first gen 1911 by a company that does not have a history of making 1911's.

In the $1000 to $1500 range, I'd stick with one of these for a full-size 1911:

* Springfield (TRP, MC Operator)
* Dan Wesson (Valor, Heritage)
* S&W (several models in this range, but note they use external extractor)
* Fusion Firearms

Kentucky Cop
05-05-10, 14:17
Hey Guys! Just got off the phone with my "go to guy" at Double Star Nick Collier. I told him about this thread and wanted to see if would participate in the discussion. He is really great and even went on to price out some AR rifles in a post several months back the way the members wanted them spec'd out. Nonetheless, he hopefully will jump on here and explain the new 1911's.

Ky Cop

TehLlama
05-05-10, 15:53
At 1200 +/- I would buy a used Baer in the 1500 range...

Ding ding!

On another, somewhat distressing note, now I see where my supply of $1500 TRS's has gone...

svtar15
05-12-10, 10:06
Sorry for taking so long to get on and clear this up. We are not sponsors here so I don't check it often.
The information you are looking for outside of what the website offers would be best obtained by calling in and speaking to Gary or emailing him at gary@star15.com. He is the one who is handbuilding these pistols. Also look around for publications. We have been in Shotgun News, Gun Digest, etc. with it for the last year or so. If you read any gun-based publications chances are they did a write up on it.
I would offer more info but I am not over that project and don't want to speculate what parts are made in house, etc. Please don't judge the pistol on what we have sold in the past at gun shows.

"Based on the tables of non-chome-lined Wilson barrels, no-name bulk AR15 components, and counterfeit H&K T-shirts they lay out at the local gun shows, Doublestar doesn't have the past performance clout to bump them up on my "to buy" list. "

Please check your information up to 2010. We haven't sold Tshirts for years. We have chrome lined barrels available and our "bulk" AR parts are the same parts you are buying from Colt and other "Tier 1" manufacturers. Yes there are some differences, but lay 20 of our uppers out at $325 and 2 Colts at $450 on a table at a gun show and see which ones sell out first. The average shooter is looking for quality and value, not premadonnas who have only been in the business for less then 10 years. Contrary to popular belief we sell tons of product. You wouldn't know it by reading some of the posts on this forum, but we've been in business for over 30 years. We must be doing something right. We appreciate those who have given us the chance to supply them with guns, parts, and accessories through the years and aren't afraid to admit it.

Thanks for your time. Please get with Gary for any more information you are interested in.

Nick

Magic_Salad0892
05-12-10, 10:33
I love your stuff, but please don't go bashing another companies product.

Especially Colt.

120mm
05-12-10, 10:48
And at least spell primadonna right.

What you're doing, to sell "lots of guns" is marketing to "derrrr, lookit dis here machinegun" owners. Your rather large customer base consists of the ignorant, uninformed and terminally cheap. That is nothing to take particular pride in, though I know J&T probably makes lots of money marketing to them.

Some of us actually shoot our ARs, a lot, and want them to stand up to serious use. Whether that means tactical meets, carbine classes or SD/HD/SHTF use. I've owned your product in the past, and it was "so-so" at best.

So, J&T has a reputation for schlock, and suddenly wants to score $1200 on their first shot at an M1911? Sorry, Charlie. I'm not buying it.

BTW, does your employer know you are here, stirring up shit and making J&T look worse?

HK45
05-12-10, 11:10
Anecdotal but I have seen multiple complaints of Doublestar not supporting their 1911's that have issues. Check the 1911 forums. No reason to go with a company new to 1911's when so many others have made and supported them for years.

svtar15
05-12-10, 11:24
I apologize if I offended another company or anyone on this forum. I meant no harm. All I was trying to say was give the 1911 a chance before you bash it. If you've never seen one, how can you tell if it's worth $1300? Bashing our company is not required either. Especially if you've never used anything we've made.

Our customer base includes everything from the average joe to elite SWAT units. Again speaking without knowing who we sell to is not making me look bad, that's making you look bad. Bashing our customers isn't necessary either.

BTW, my employer knows exactly what I'm doing. I'm not stirring anything. It seems when someone who knows what's going on with something speaks the truth the "naysayers" are quick to bash us. Everyone is allowed an opinion, even me. And my spelling is bound to be wrong every once in a while. LOL. Again I apologize if I offended anyone.

d90king
05-12-10, 11:48
Sorry for taking so long to get on and clear this up. We are not sponsors here so I don't check it often.
The information you are looking for outside of what the website offers would be best obtained by calling in and speaking to Gary or emailing him at gary@star15.com. He is the one who is handbuilding these pistols. Also look around for publications. We have been in Shotgun News, Gun Digest, etc. with it for the last year or so. If you read any gun-based publications chances are they did a write up on it.
I would offer more info but I am not over that project and don't want to speculate what parts are made in house, etc. Please don't judge the pistol on what we have sold in the past at gun shows.

"Based on the tables of non-chome-lined Wilson barrels, no-name bulk AR15 components, and counterfeit H&K T-shirts they lay out at the local gun shows, Doublestar doesn't have the past performance clout to bump them up on my "to buy" list. "

Please check your information up to 2010. We haven't sold Tshirts for years. We have chrome lined barrels available and our "bulk" AR parts are the same parts you are buying from Colt and other "Tier 1" manufacturers. Yes there are some differences, but lay 20 of our uppers out at $325 and 2 Colts at $450 on a table at a gun show and see which ones sell out first. The average shooter is looking for quality and value, not premadonnas who have only been in the business for less then 10 years. Contrary to popular belief we sell tons of product. You wouldn't know it by reading some of the posts on this forum, but we've been in business for over 30 years. We must be doing something right. We appreciate those who have given us the chance to supply them with guns, parts, and accessories through the years and aren't afraid to admit it.

Thanks for your time. Please get with Gary for any more information you are interested in.

Nick

I would highly recommend having somebody else represent your company because you are doing an awful job of it.

In business the way you win is by selling "your" product and not by diminishing other brands in order to try and do so.

If these are your standard business practices... I will go out on a limb and say that you will not be very well received in the 1911 community.

Best of luck, you will need it.

Kentucky Cop
05-12-10, 11:58
Alright, I guess that went well......:confused:

Ky Cop

120mm
05-12-10, 12:05
I apologize if I offended another company or anyone on this forum. I meant no harm. All I was trying to say was give the 1911 a chance before you bash it. If you've never seen one, how can you tell if it's worth $1300? Bashing our company is not required either. Especially if you've never used anything we've made.

I've used your product. It is cheap AR parts at best.

Our customer base includes everything from the average joe to elite SWAT units. Again speaking without knowing who we sell to is not making me look bad, that's making you look bad. Bashing our customers isn't necessary either.

elite SWAT units??? Which ones? Shepherdsville doesn't count.

BTW, my employer knows exactly what I'm doing. I'm not stirring anything. It seems when someone who knows what's going on with something speaks the truth the "naysayers" are quick to bash us. Everyone is allowed an opinion, even me. And my spelling is bound to be wrong every once in a while. LOL. Again I apologize if I offended anyone.

Here's a tip. When you are in a hole, first stop digging. I agree with d90king. You now need to make nice, or quit.

Denying your ****up won't make it any better. Being defensive doesn't belong in customer service. Frankly, with the job situation being what it is, I can't believe there aren't 20 guys who'd love to have your job and do it better.

svtar15
05-12-10, 12:19
I apologize for those I offended. If you want information on the 1911, get with Gary. If you have any questions about the AR side of the business, contact me at nick@jtdistributing.com.

Magic_Salad0892
05-12-10, 19:37
Call me crazy, but I actually think DoubleStar makes a great product for the price.

There are better sure, but hey. It's good for what it is.

Kentucky Cop
05-13-10, 02:13
Our Emergency Response Unit likes the rifles. I believe thats what they use for perimeter other than the speciality guns (mp-5, tater gun etc. )

I have read up on the 1911's they are producing and most seem to like them. Our department is authorized to carry the DS rifles and several of the street cops run them like they are rented. Long story short, they like the and abuse the heck out of them. My two cents...

Ky Cop

120mm
05-13-10, 07:06
Call me crazy, but I actually think DoubleStar makes a great product for the price.

There are better sure, but hey. It's good for what it is.

No disagreement there. If I were building a low budget plinker, I'd look at DS Arms. But not going to pay $1200 for their 1911.

MaceWindu
10-30-11, 02:51
Late to the party here.

I am a 1911 fan. Yes, I own the fantastic plastic (Glock's) and a nice BHP. But, in my heart, I love a well made 1911.

I currently own:

*(2) Les Baer TRS's
*(1) Yost-Bonitz 1* built on a Colt
*(1) Custom Colt 1911, Two Tone

I have owned:

-Kimber Custom II (Sold it)
-Springfield Armory Customized by Chuck Rogers (Sold it)
-SA Officers Model Customized by Wilson Combat (Sold it)

One thing I missing was an integral light railed 1911. I did my research and all signs pointed to an SA MC Operator. A friend and I @ SHOT 2011 had stopped by the DS Booth and handled their railed 1911. Several observations:

*Pistol was completely dehorned.
*Great trigger pull for an out of the box gun
*Slide to frame fit was good, with a solid lock-up
*Ed Brown internals
*Quality barrel
*Front and back strap checkering

This gun and my interest...as a 1911 shooter, it stuck in the back of my mind. I went to a very well known pistol smith who lives locally and we chewed the fat over this pistol more than once.

http://www.jardinescustom.com/

John stated that he had wrenched on a few of these and that they were a forged frame and slide and not bad for the $$$. Hmmmm...

So I looked and searched and recently picked one up for $999...:D

Oiled it up and headed to the range. Put about 200 rounds of my reloads through it (185 grain moly-coated lead) and POA/ POA was spot on @ 15yrds. One ragged hole. I am pleased with the purchase, but of course a few small things need to be done before it begins 2012 as my primary training 1911:

*The barrel lug is about 1/100 of an inch to long on the back end, so the gun "beats itself up" a bit...that material needs to be removed. The USGI guide rod was a little beat up after the range session.

*The barrel link is bit "bigger" than it should be and will be replaced by a smaller one.

*The sights will be replaced since they are standard Novak three dot. I will replaced these with a fiber optic front and Chuck Roger's rear sight.

*I will also have the pistol coated since I shoot my guns in all weather...rain, shine, dirt, mud, etc...

Over all, I am very pleased with the gun and will post pics when she is done. Currently it's sitting on my smith's bench having the above work done. More to come....

Mace Windu

Munch
10-30-11, 08:02
*The barrel lug is about 1/100 of an inch to long on the back end, so the gun "beats itself up" a bit...that material needs to be removed.
Mace Windu

Measuring from the dead center of the barrel link pin hole in the barrel leg to the back of the leg, you should have .252" plus/minus .002". I would expect to see some battering on the receiver's stop surface. This area is designed to absorb and dissipate energy of the barrel returning to battery. If there is no indication of barrel leg to receiver contact, then the slide stop crosspin is likely absorbing the energy and that is not a good thing.

When building a full house custom or diagnosing a customer's 1911, I install a special pin set that allows me to take every critical/noncritical measurement on the receiver. I can then compared the numbers to specifications. This can generally help determine where to anticipate problems or why a blaster may be behaving improperly and to make proper remedies.

Improperly positioned receiver pin holes is one of the biggest problems a 'smith finds in offerings from vendors other than Colt, SA and Caspian. I am not implying DSC has improperly positioned pin holes.

The DSC Combat Pistol's receiver is 4140 material. It should exhibit an RC of 27-30. The receiver is forged in KY according to my information.

Published information indicates the DSC pistol was developed for 2010 USMC pistol trials for USMC SPECOPS.

According to USMC informational releases, a modified Colt 01070RG and SA PX9105ML are the only 1911s being evaluated for procurement. Kimber and S&W dropped out of the evaluation process. I am not sure if a source selection has been announced.

MaceWindu
10-30-11, 11:50
Measuring from the dead center of the barrel link pin hole in the barrel leg, you should have .252" plus/minus .002". I would expect to see some battering on the receiver's stop surface. This area is designed to absorb and dissipate energy of the barrel returning to battery. If there is no indication of barrel leg to receiver contact, then the slide stop crosspin is likely absorbing the energy and that is not a good thing.

Ding ding! Just a "touch" of battering on the receivers stop surface and the USGI plug is a little beat up. That's why it's sitting on my smith's table after only 150-200ish rounds.

I am trigger puller, not a smith. But I have "some" knowledge of what you speak. Thank you sir!

Mace

Munch
10-30-11, 12:16
I am trigger puller, not a smith.

Mace, nearly all 1911 'smith and those who enjoying taking file to the platform started out as "trigger pullers"; either tactical or competition 'pullers'.

I cut my teeth on a Colt I bought in the early '70s. Still have it. And it shows/reminds me of my learning curve.:D

I got fully absorbed in the pistol when desperately trying to initially qualify Expert with the 1911 at Quantico in 1980. The pistol I drew from the armory sounded like a tin can full of ball bearings when shaken. I can't tell you how many times I disassembled it trying to find a way to make it shoot more accurately; such wasn't in the cards.

If you're going to carry the 1911 in harms way, I think it best to have a good working knowledge of the platform and to have several spare parts in your kit. Certainly a spare extractor, properly tensioned. If you have slotted grip panel screws, you should be able to completely disassemble your 1911 with its parts; just as Browning designed it.

MaceWindu
10-30-11, 12:39
I concur!

MW