PDA

View Full Version : Have you had problems shipping gun parts?

ghostman1960
05-01-10, 19:17
I was told by two shipping places today that they would not ship my upper because it was a gun. One told me it was UPS rules and another said it was FedEx rules. I argued to no avail that a upper receiver is not a firearm and was basically told to pound salt. The third place I went to, Mail Boxes Etc, shipped it for me because I told them it was machined parts when asked what it was I was shipping. Has anyone else run into this problem?

JohnnyC
05-01-10, 19:39
Yup. That's why uppers are "aluminim forgings" and rails are "machined extrusions" and I just insure it for whatever it's worth.

99HMC4
05-01-10, 19:42
Thats because those workers are stupid. Even ATF considers an upper "parts". Unless its a complete firearm, I dont tell them shit. And I ship a lot of parts and firearms....

Cagemonkey
05-01-10, 19:50
When I ship an upper or gun, I declare it as sporting goods. If they pursue further, I say its fishing tackle. Ignorance is sometimes bliss.

14point5
05-01-10, 20:07
You failed by telling them too much information for their own good.

m4fun
05-01-10, 20:24
You failed by telling them too much information for their own good.

Exactly!!!

Machine Parts...every time.

shootist~
05-01-10, 20:24
Just use Fedex.

Ak44
05-01-10, 20:32
I sent my Noveske Switchblock upper to "User_Name" via USPS. He received it fine from what I'm told. And I wasn't hassled by the USPS worker. :cool:

Skter505
05-01-10, 23:40
I always bring stuff in pre-boxed and if they ask just say parts. They dont need to know as long as its legal.

Bubba FAL
05-02-10, 02:04
Yep, "machine parts" or "mechanical components". Just insure it for the real value.

Assuming you are not shipping to a State or municipality where they are contraband (such as 30rd mags to CA), you are not breaking any laws shipping component parts and declaring them according to the above terms. The serialized receiver is the legally defined firearm.

boltcatch
05-02-10, 02:15
I don't even tell them machine parts.

I've never had anyone ask me what is in my package and I ship AR parts all the time. They don't even ask when I insure it - just the usual question about fragile, hazardous, perishable, etc., and that's a yes or no.

Don't tell them anything they don't need to know and you'll minimize your problems.

A few years ago I did, however, have an issue with some nosy postal workers and some incoming packages, not outgoing. Postal workers assumed the items were something they were not, and long conversations with eventually apologetic LEO's ensued. I think, though, that someone then started asking questions about the postal workers, because if I recall correctly some of them later went to jail for unrelated incidents of theft.

Iraqgunz
05-02-10, 04:11
Unfortunately you can fix stupid. If you plan on using the services in the future you may want to consider printing out the guidelines that the companies themselves have in place. Also, printing out relevant sections of what the BATFE defines as a firearm.

In the end though it may be a loosing battle. I usually use the USPS and have never had an issue with them.

Erk1015
05-02-10, 15:56
I had the same problem at the UPS store, they said you can send it through ups but not at the stores. You have to go to some other frickin place to send it. Now I use fedex or USPS.

Spiffums
05-03-10, 12:43
I always bring stuff in pre-boxed and if they ask just say parts. They dont need to know as long as its legal.

And people would lie to them if it wasn't legal........so hence they don't need to know.

Skyyr
05-06-10, 15:28
I typically use the technical name of the part I'm shipping. If I ship a trigger, I list it as an "FCG" (Fire Control Group). If I ship a upper receiver, I call it an "upper assembly." That way there's no technicalities if the item were to be damaged and insurance would take over.

The guys who know what those terms mean are typically smart enough and educated to know they aren't illegal to ship.

I would seriously recommend not shipping it under a generic name, like "parts," as insurance might deny your claim due to some unforeseen technicality should it be damaged in transit.

ghostman1960
05-06-10, 16:22
I typically use the technical name of the part I'm shipping. If I ship a trigger, I list it as an "FCG" (Fire Control Group). If I ship a upper receiver, I call it an "upper assembly." That way there's no technicalities if the item were to be damaged and insurance would take over.

The guys who know what those terms mean are typically smart enough and educated to know they aren't illegal to ship.

I would seriously recommend not shipping it under a generic name, like "parts," as insurance might deny your claim due to some unforeseen technicality should it be damaged in transit.

Yeah I am going to have to get more creative.

99HMC4
05-06-10, 20:26
I had the same problem at the UPS store, they said you can send it through ups but not at the stores. You have to go to some other frickin place to send it. Now I use fedex or USPS.

Half true, you cant ship a "firearm" from a UPS or Fedex store. Has to be a main shipping hub. A non licensed (non FFL) cant ship a "firearm" through USPS but parts are fine....

Skyyr
05-07-10, 01:28
Half true, you cant ship a "firearm" from a UPS or Fedex store. Has to be a main shipping hub. A non licensed (non FFL) cant ship a "firearm" through USPS but parts are fine....

Not true.

Firearms may legally be mailed from any contract carrier, either to yourself or to an FFL. Rifles (not handguns) may also be mailed through the USPS. Be aware that some post offices will reject it if you disclose you're mailing it (due to sheer ignorance of the law), but that doesn't make it illegal.

The UPS Store and small FedEx stores (i.e. not main centers) have company policies restricting the mailing of firearms, but there is nothing illegal whatsoever about using them to mail firearms.

Handguns cannot be mailed through the USPS, unless it is from one FFL to another, or from government branch to government branch. They may be mailed through contract carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc). Most contract carriers require that the handguns be flown air overnight, but that's company policy and not federal law.

HowardCohodas
05-07-10, 04:11
When I sent my LCP to Ruger for recall processing I used the prepaid UPS mailer they sent to me. I dropped it off at a UPS store and was asked about the contents. When I hesitated the guy at the counter looked at the addressee and suggested "machined parts." I went along.

When I later got a business PO Box from the same store, I found out that it was the owner who waited on me.

mwc5
05-07-10, 07:30
I ship personal stuff via Fedex almost everyday and no one has asked about contents. Have also shipped a number of long guns and it was no problem, save for paperwork and making sure there were no "gun word" on the shipping box.

UPS on the other hand seems to be more "in your face", almost as if they are eager to give you a hard time.

But, the company I work for sends dozens of firearms daily w/ no problems from Fedex or UPS.

:D

99HMC4
05-07-10, 09:30
Not true.

Firearms may legally be mailed from any contract carrier, either to yourself or to an FFL. Rifles (not handguns) may also be mailed through the USPS. Be aware that some post offices will reject it if you disclose you're mailing it (due to sheer ignorance of the law), but that doesn't make it illegal.

The UPS Store and small FedEx stores (i.e. not main centers) have company policies restricting the mailing of firearms, but there is nothing illegal whatsoever about using them to mail firearms.

Handguns cannot be mailed through the USPS, unless it is from one FFL to another, or from government branch to government branch. They may be mailed through contract carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc). Most contract carriers require that the handguns be flown air overnight, but that's company policy and not federal law.

True, I was talkin handguns through USPS and those little1508 forms..

"11.3 Rifles and Shotguns
Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e."

Palmguy
05-07-10, 12:11
I had a douchebag at a UPS Store (pretty sure he was the owner/franchisee) tell me that I couldn't ship a couple of pistol magazines :rolleyes: These were in a sealed, prelabeled package no less. Haven't been back to that store.

The stores around here where I live now don't ask what's in the packages that I drop off to be shipped and I don't volunteer the info (even though everything is 100% legal). If I'm using UPS, I print out my own labels ahead of time. If I'm using USPS, I seal the box and put an address label on it so all it needs is postage. No problems.

GermanSynergy
05-07-10, 19:14
Thats because those workers are stupid. Even ATF considers an upper "parts". Unless its a complete firearm, I dont tell them shit. And I ship a lot of parts and firearms....

Yup. Here's a typical transaction when I ship an upper or a part:

Clerk: "Is there anything flammable, toxic or potentially hazardous in this package"?

Me: "Nope"

Clerk: "Alrighty sir- Cash or charge"?

sdacbob
05-07-10, 19:35
I've had that same problem trying to ship my upper to Adco. They did ship it though. That was nothing compared to the time I shipped a submachinegun through the Post Office. The Postmaster had the regs out and was trying to find it but refused to call the main Post Office and get their read on it. I made 3 trips before they agreed to ship it if I broke it down into 2 separate boxes. BTW, Adco shipped my upper back by USPS.

the_grimace
05-07-10, 21:14
I had a douchebag at a UPS Store (pretty sure he was the owner/franchisee) tell me that I couldn't ship a couple of pistol magazines :rolleyes: These were in a sealed, prelabeled package no less. Haven't been back to that store.

The stores around here where I live now don't ask what's in the packages that I drop off to be shipped and I don't volunteer the info (even though everything is 100% legal). If I'm using UPS, I print out my own labels ahead of time. If I'm using USPS, I seal the box and put an address label on it so all it needs is postage. No problems.

I do the same! Works 100%