PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question for Sunday. Do you tip dog groomers?

ghostman1960
05-02-10, 06:08
My wife inherited a little Shih Tzu dog from an elderly customer of hers. Anyway I discovered that these things hair never stops growing. The thing looks like a mop and its getting hard to tell which end is which. So Monday I am taking it in to get a haircut. I always tip my barber so I was wondering do you tip dog groomers?

DJK
05-02-10, 06:16
Yes, we do. 20% minimum. More if they very good or we try to buy something from their store if they have one. We have a Cocker Spaniel and he is a lot of work.:D

Magic_Salad0892
05-02-10, 07:12
My girlfriend's sister is a dog groomer.

So no we don't, because she is a prick, and we don't own a dog. :[

Irish
05-02-10, 11:35
Yes, we do. 20% minimum. More if they very good or we try to buy something from their store if they have one. We have a Cocker Spaniel and he is a lot of work.:D

Out of curiousity why would you tip someone at least 20% for doing their job? Every dipshit on the planet has a tip jar here in Vegas and I don't get it and probably never will. The attendant who does the government mandated emissions check on your car has a tip jar here, WTF?!?!

To answer the OP's question, I wouldn't. We don't take our Boxer to a groomer but if we did I would expect them to do the job they're getting paid to do and to the best of their abilities.

bkb0000
05-02-10, 11:56
yes.. dog grooming is a tip job.

some jobs are, some are not... food servers who just hand you food over a counter- **** nah. barbers/waitresses/bartenders/doormen/dog groomers... people who actually do some service for you for minimum wage- these people should be tipped.

funny story... i had to take my grandmother's dog in for grooming when i was like 18 or 19 once. her groomer worked for the local veterinarian's office.. so i took him down, got him hacked on, and when they led him out 20 minutes later and it was time to pay, i asked the receptionist- "is it appropriate to tip a dog groomer?" and one of the other office ladies jumped in sharply- "Muriel doesn't tip." i said, "uhh.. ok, but most people do?" "everybody does, Muriel does not."

Rider79
05-02-10, 12:16
I do. But I tip everyone I possibly can, from starbucks to tropical smoothie. If I'm allowed to, I do. But it's a karma thing for me, due to my job. I'll just put it that way.

JSantoro
05-02-10, 12:24
Yes, because it's not easy to get the cut right on a squirmy ball of fur who's curious about the other squirmy balls of fur around it. I think they deserve a little something extra, so I tip mine, though more like 12% or so. It's like anything else, though: if they gank it up, toss an attitude, they'll have to satisfy themselves with their hourly wage.

It's not like some schlub behind the counter at a coffee place. Dude/chica is ramming hot water through ground-up beans, maybe adding syrups and correcting me if I don't say grande. GFY, mug jockey.

Gramps
05-02-10, 12:42
No one EVER tipped me in ANY of my jobs in my lifetime.

Lets see, approx 9 different jobs in 8 different locations between three states. I just can't see tipping, unless some one has really impressed me with something they did for me. 8 of my 9 different jobs were customer satisfaction jobs dealing with the public. I did my best, because I enjoyed making people happy, not to get more "Tip/Money" from them. It says something to me when I cannot find anyone yelling "Equal Rights for everyone to receive tips". (Thank Goodness) Just a little jar VERY WELL placed to say "TIPS". If someone is going to get upset because I didn't "Tip" them, then I guess I don't need to solicit the establishment where they work, which supports them with a job.

Let the rebuttal to me, for not tipping, began.

bkb0000
05-02-10, 12:49
If someone is going to get upset because I didn't "Tip" them, then I guess I don't need to solicit the establishment where they work, which supports them with a job.

Let the rebuttal to me, for not tipping, began.

since their average hourly rate drops when you come in, i can guarantee you they would rather you didn't, and leave room in their section for the other 98% of americans who tip between 10-25% ;)

QuietShootr
05-02-10, 13:27
Yes, because it's not easy to get the cut right on a squirmy ball of fur who's curious about the other squirmy balls of fur around it. I think they deserve a little something extra, so I tip mine, though more like 12% or so. It's like anything else, though: if they gank it up, toss an attitude, they'll have to satisfy themselves with their hourly wage.

It's not like some schlub behind the counter at a coffee place. Dude/chica is ramming hot water through ground-up beans, maybe adding syrups and correcting me if I don't say grande. GFY, mug jockey.

Agreed on all counts.

QuietShootr
05-02-10, 13:29
I do. But I tip everyone I possibly can, from starbucks to tropical smoothie. If I'm allowed to, I do. But it's a karma thing for me, due to my job. I'll just put it that way.

Yup. I'm a big tipper, which annoys the hell out of my wife (especially since I add points for blue-eyed brunettes and big tits) but I get great service at places I frequent since they know they're going to get 20-30% or more if they do a superlative job.

Belmont31R
05-02-10, 14:18
My wife inherited a little Shih Tzu dog from an elderly customer of hers. Anyway I discovered that these things hair never stops growing. The thing looks like a mop and its getting hard to tell which end is which. So Monday I am taking it in to get a haircut. I always tip my barber so I was wondering do you tip dog groomers?

Since my mom died last year, and my dad is overseas we took their Shih-Tzu, and did the smart thing. I bought a set of professional Oster clippers, and simply buzz cut everything but the ears and tail. Before he was a mop, and between him and my mini-Aussie this dog would be a nasty mess within days of getting pro groomed.

Takes maybe an hour to buzz him, and give him a bath. I can pay for the clippers ($200) in a couple months after what we would have to pay to get him groomed.

If you decide on the buzz cut yourself you really do need high quality clippers. The sub $100 box store clippers dont work.

WS6
05-02-10, 14:34
You tip anyone who performs a personal service (hair/shoe-shine/nails/dog groomer/wait-staff/car-wash (some)/etc.). Obviously there are some exceptions to this, but it's a generality that I use.

jaydoc1
05-02-10, 17:52
I like good service from the places I frequent. The places I frequent like to give me better than usual service because they know me and know I tip well when I get that service.

If you're satisfied with average service then fine, don't tip or just leave an average tip.

If you didn't get good service then absolutely don't tip.

dbrowne1
05-02-10, 18:05
The attendant who does the government mandated emissions check on your car has a tip jar here, WTF?!?!

That's so you can tip him in advance for the great job he's going to do on your smoking clunker ...:D

Magic_Salad0892
05-02-10, 18:55
I don't believe in tipping...

HES
05-02-10, 21:15
Its a skilled trade, working on something that I place value on. So I tip. Normally about 15%

Yup. I'm a big tipper, which annoys the hell out of my wife (especially since I add points for blue-eyed brunettes and big tits)
You too uh? But my wife doesn't mind :D

Bulldog7972
05-03-10, 07:03
The professionals in certain professions such as dog grooming, waitressing, hair styling etc.,are dependent on tips in order to survive. They are usually paid a substandard wage. If they even do a mere satisfactory job I tip at least 15-20 %. To do anything else is........ well, selfish.

bobvila
05-03-10, 07:15
Tipping? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38)

Irish
05-03-10, 09:04
That's so you can tip him in advance for the great job he's going to do on your smoking clunker ...:D

The only thing that smokes is the rear tires around corners. ;)

Sudden
05-03-10, 09:17
We tip our dog groomer. She does an excellant job and takes extra care with our dog that isn't in the best of health. He's also a rescused dog so he get nervous.

JSantoro
05-03-10, 09:18
I always get a kick out of those that say "I don't believe in (insert something that exists)," and leave it at that.

You always know that some special kind of doofus explanation is caroming around the inside their dome, because they feel the need to found it on beliefs instead of knowledge and facts. The sort of thing you can usually FEEL making you stupider if you get them to explain, which in turn makes you hesitant to ask.

Had a friend, who's girlfriend at the time was as dumb as a box of hammers. We were out on a double date, and I can't recall how it came up, but she had occasion to say:

"I don't believe in salt!"

I heard something in my head go SNAP!! "It's right there on the table, next to the pepper, half-wit. JTFC, just how many extra chromosomes do you have, anyway?"

HINT: Your "belief" is not required! Tipping exists. This isn't like that scene in Peter Pan where you're supposed to clap if you believe in tipping, lest it stop glowing and die.

Everybody is allowed to do whatever they want in America, and it's the individuals call to choose to tip or not. Please remember that the universe loves balance, so in the spirit of that: If you have a restaurant that you go to regularly, where the servers make $3 or more below minimum wage for their hourly rate, I hope to Crom that they know who your non-tipping ass is are and are choosing to spit in your food.