PDA

View Full Version : Bought the MP15 OR

fairchase
05-02-10, 15:08
Well I've been reading up for quite a while now trying to decide on my first ar.
I really liked the looks and feel of the RRA elite operator. I fell in love with the 2 stage trigger , and unlike most I really liked the free floated half quad tube. After much reading I was just a little hesitant about the RRA. Price was going to be 1060 plus 10% tax.

I was at a show the other day and came across a mp 15 OR new in box for $840 out the door , plus a coupon for 5 free P mags. I thought it was a good deal and took it home.

Was this a good choice or not ?

dirvo85
05-02-10, 17:06
I'm new as well. I happen to be in the auto industry, which is a fancy way of saying that I sell cars... LOL. Whenever my friends try to have me validate their purchase of a car I always ask them if they like it. If they like it and they feel like it was a good deal than that's all the matters. Some will probably argue and say that you should've gotten x or y or say buy once cry once. I'm of the simple opinion that if you bought it and it functions for the purpose you intended it for than by all means... you did good.

I am in the process of building my first rifle (figured it would help me to understand them better). At first I wanted to build something out of the "best" components (I've come to realize that the term "best" is loosely thrown around). So I did some research and took a shot at Spike's (the #1 Fanboy brand... LOL). I went Spike's because it appeared to be the "best" choice for me.

At the end of the day you make the "best" decision for you and if you're happy and it's served your purpose than you did good.
JMO

leopard hound
05-02-10, 17:15
you did good. congrats on your new rifle. it will serve you well.now go lube her up and treat her like the bitch she is......:D

uwe1
05-02-10, 17:44
My first AR was a M&P15ORC. It has been flawless for me, but I've only got about 1200 rounds through it and never pushed it hard.

I disliked the factory railed gas block as I found it to be excessively heavy. If I were to do it again, I'd probably have started with the M&P15A or the TS (with VTAC Extreme).

After several configuration changes, it now has a low profile gas block from Young Mfg. and a 11" Troy TRX Extreme FF rail. I also changed the grip and stock as well.

500grains
05-02-10, 20:34
I was at a show the other day and came across a mp 15 OR new in box for $840 out the door , plus a coupon for 5 free P mags. I thought it was a good deal and took it home.

Yes, IMO, and better than the RRA, IMO. My S&W M&P VTAC has been perfectly reliable and extremely accurate.

turbo38gn
05-02-10, 21:22
Well I've been reading up for quite a while now trying to decide on my first ar.
I really liked the looks and feel of the RRA elite operator. I fell in love with the 2 stage trigger , and unlike most I really liked the free floated half quad tube. After much reading I was just a little hesitant about the RRA. Price was going to be 1060 plus 10% tax.

Great choice, bought the ORC myself, found a similar deal I couldn't refuse... Ran another 50-60 rounds through her today, it was awsome. I purchased an Eotec 557 red dot and magnifier for it. Think I may change the furniture, but maybe not. I just need a little rail for the front end for a bi-pod-grip.

PoconoChris
05-03-10, 17:07
I bought one too last November when it was on sale for $799. I got the free pmags too. It is my first AR15 so I can't compare it to others. I been shooting mine with my brother, son, and nephew. I haven't have a problem with it yet at about 2000 plus rounds. To my surprise, I couldn't believe how accurate they shoot. My brother is now saving for one.
I have been trying to save for a Magpul CTR stock but I keep buying ammo. I also started reloading .223 but there is no way I can keep up with a single stage press. I been shooting the cheapest ammo I could find in brass casings.

fairchase
05-03-10, 19:26
The one I picked up was the OR (optic ready). I would like to have had a set of BUIS sight ( can be added on ) , but I really didn't want the standard pinned front sight since I plan on putting 1x4 optics on it.

I think the ORC has a heavy barrel and no flas suppressor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The $800 + tax seemed to be a good buy compared to every thing else I've been seeing.

turbo38gn
05-03-10, 19:44
The one I picked up was the OR (optic ready). I would like to have had a set of BUIS sight ( can be added on ) , but I really didn't want the standard pinned front sight since I plan on putting 1x4 optics on it.

I think the ORC has a heavy barrel and no flas suppressor. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The $800 + tax seemed to be a good buy compared to every thing else I've been seeing.

Great deal, mine was $780, $20. shipping and $25 for my FFL.. no flash, not sure about the barrel, lots of opics out there. I have Troy folding battle sites to go with my Eotec..

http://www.cobratactical.com/Troy-Industries_bymfg_29-3-2.html?gclid=CITYtbeft6ECFRBx5Qod8EKDAQ