PDA

View Full Version : TLR-3 on HD carbine ?

Shawn.L
05-02-10, 20:56
I just installed a 12" DD rail with the FS cut on my 6920. I want to put my light out at 12 on the rail.

Currently I am (was) running a G2 in a Viking mount, but the short carbine handuards where leaving me really cramped.

I had a high output LED (cree) in the G2, but I found it was too bright for in the house and interfered with seeing my dot (Aimpoint H-1), esp with reflection off white walls in narrow spaces.

I was looking at the TLR-1, but I see the TLR-3 is smaller, lighter, and is closer in lumens to the G2 I run now and find appropriate for the role.

Any downsides or input on the TLR-3 in this role ?

Other lights I should consider?

I dont need a searchlight, I just have to be able to ID someone at 25 max yards and see into corners at that distance.

KellyTTE
05-02-10, 22:28
I put mine on a FSB rail mount to give it a try and never did like it there. It went back on my 17L. Sorry that's not more info, but it's what I have.

Shawn.L
05-03-10, 14:31
I put mine on a FSB rail mount to give it a try and never did like it there. It went back on my 17L. Sorry that's not more info, but it's what I have.

I plan on running it in front of the FS, not on it, on a rail like this:
http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=77

what didnt you like ?

anyone have other input on the light itself ?

KellyTTE
05-03-10, 14:46
Whoops, thanks for jogging my aging memory. I did not try it in that position. What I tried was the light mounted on a DD offset at the end of a Carbine length rail. I was 'cramped' and hard to actuate like that. I should try it on the FauxSBR to see how it feels there, now that you mention it.

The TLR3 rocks on pistols though.

JSantoro
05-03-10, 15:40
Be wary of the TLR-3. I had the same thought, and asked one of their mil/LE reps as to whether or not it was designed for rifle recoil impulse. He said yes, and it seems to take that just fine.

However, the part of the body that helps clamp it onto the rail broke completely off just above the screw. The plastic side, not the aluminum.

I don't THINK I was cranking it down too tight, but one way or another, it's a failure point. Wasn't even banging the gun around, either, strictly square-bay firing. It just popped off one day while removing the gun from the bag.

Light works fine, just can't mount it to anything. Still waiting to get word on what Streamlight will or will not do for it. Until they decide to make BOTH clamping surfaces metal, or at least a more durable plastic, I won't get another one. Food for thought.

Magsz
05-03-10, 15:56
Im going to agree.

I stress fractured my TLR3 by clamping it too tight on my M&P9.

This was entirely my fault but i didnt think it would break as easily as it did. I normally dont gorilla grip things but i guess a simple quarter inch turn with a flathead screw driver after hand tightening was too much.

I still like the light and i still trust it so im going to get another one and see how much abuse i can put it through.

d90king
05-03-10, 16:31
X300 for that role IMHO... Whats the price variance between the two?

Shawn.L
05-03-10, 16:40
X300 for that role IMHO... Whats the price variance between the two?

TRL-3 is $75, X300 is $250
and prob for good reason.

Im not sure through about the 110 lumens of the X, Id rather be under 80 in the house but 110 could be livable. My L4 is IIRC 120, I'll have to try that and the RDS tonight in the dark and see how it performs.

Joeywhat
05-03-10, 17:04
The TLR-3 is a bit tall (moreso then the TLR-1) and will probably block the front sight post a bit. I didn't like mine at all at the 12:00 position, you could barely see the top of the front sight over the light.

The TRL-1 is better and is what I would consider the highest light to put in that position, the X300 is a tad slimmer then that even.

Sam
05-03-10, 17:31
So far I have about 500 rounds through this set up with the TLR3.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DD.jpg

On another rifle, I have also about 500 rounds with a similar set up with the TLR1.

Seems to hold up.

$75 for the TLR3 or $100 for the TLR1 vs. $250-300 for the SF-X300. I can buy a bunch of Streamlights for one Surefire X series. Now, on handheld flashlights, I'll go with SF everytime.

morlock
05-04-10, 18:12
does the light block the FSP? Would it be possible to post a pic from shooter's perspective?

thanks

JSantoro
05-04-10, 18:52
Believe it or not, the TLR-3, though a smaller light, is actually somewhat taller than a TLR-1.

With the -1, the light bezel encroaches slightly into the shooter's perception of the FSP, but only at the base of it. The tip is still visible.

With the -3, the body (where the battery is) humps DOWN into the bezel, though it's not by much. The tip of the FSP is still visible, though by a lesser margin.

If you're like many, and utilize BUIS while folded (keeping true to the BU in BUIS), it's no real impact. For those that run with a fixed-front BUIS or FSB, you may or may think the -3 is too tall.

I'm hopeless with a camera, even if my -3 wasn't broken, otherwise I'd toss up some imagery.

EDIT: See photo in post #39 of this thread, courtesy of gotM4.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39599&page=2

Tornado_Racing
05-06-10, 16:53
I run the TLR-3 on my pistol and AR. I did not like having the light sit so high up on the rail in the 12 o'clock so I ordered a MAKO BSR-1 barrel rail mount so the light would sit lower.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6162/dscf2320.jpg