PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Cleaning items

Skang
05-02-10, 22:12
Hello, i got Ar15 few days ago.

before i go to range, i'd like to buy cleaning kits. that way i can clean it right after the trip.

this is the list i got it so far.

1. Weapon shield CLP

2. Cleaning rod http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=389149 (is this the one i need? i meant 22 to 26 caliber)

3. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=163348

4. Rod brush

5. J P ENTERPRISES rod guide.

this should do it right?

scottd907
05-02-10, 22:33
Oh yeah... I use bore foam clearner, bore snake, dry lube and a cleaning rod, fixed handle rod with camber/bore brush.

Ak44
05-02-10, 22:54
You should be good...I buy Otis kits and Slip2000 EWL, Slip2000 Carbon Killer, and Slip2000 725 De-greaser. And not to forget Bear Metal Cleaning G-Tips (better than Q tips) and lots of white undershirts. :cool:

shootist~
05-02-10, 23:48
Noveskie Rifle Work's Do and Don'ts on cleaning is a very good guide:
http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/barrel_break-in.pdf

Skang
05-03-10, 00:20
okay, so iam suppose to insert brush from chamber and go all the way to flash hider, and take off the brush and re do it from the chamber?

Quib
05-03-10, 05:33
I cover some of the basic cleaning equipment here:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1691-BASIC-AR15-CLEANING-KIT

larry0071
05-03-10, 10:35
okay, so iam suppose to insert brush from chamber and go all the way to flash hider, and take off the brush and re do it from the chamber?

Easier way is get a green bore snake and insert from the chamber and remove from the flashhider by pulling all the way through. Do this 4-5 times and then put some CLP on a patch and run it back and forth, repeat a few times with new patches until the patch is coming out pretty clean. Then put another dry patch on and run it back and forth to get excessive oil out of the barrel. This way you can not hurt anything.

And never do what I once did..... use a brush and attempt to reverse direction mid barrel. I had a brush so stuck in a .22 rifle I was thinking it would never come out. It's a one way street with a brush mounted on your cleaning rod.

Littlelebowski
05-03-10, 10:53
Can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

shootist~
05-03-10, 11:06

Shang - As with most things, there are differences of opinion on this. I follow Noveske's recommendation on removing the brush at the bore end. I used to work it both ways, but often did not use a brush at all. With today's assortment of quick acting carbon killer products, I see no reason to be aggressive - and it's a well known fact that improper/aggressive cleaning will reduce barrel life.

*IMO*, a few passes with carbon killer on patches and two to four one-way passes with a brush is plenty for that step; so removing the brush between each pass is not an issue for me. I use a stepped-down (for lack of a better term) jag that does not scrape over the crown on the back stroke, so I'm less concerned there.

I don't use a bore snake because they get filthy and are hard to clean.

Littlelebowski
05-03-10, 11:09
I don't use a bore snake because they get filthy and are hard to clean.

Mist it with Simple Green and wash in your clothes washer in a mesh bag or sock with warm water and a little detergent. Not hard at all.

Ga Shooter
05-03-10, 11:13
Can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Very fast and easy. +1

shootist~
05-03-10, 11:17
Mist it with Simple Green and wash in your clothes washer in a mesh bag or sock with warm water and a little detergent. Not hard at all.

Very true, but in the sandy/dusty climate I shoot in, I would still be dragging grit through the barrel after the first pass.

Skang
05-06-10, 20:40
I have to couple questions.

Does anybody know if "JP cleaning guide" will fit with "DEWEY Coated rod" ??

Cleaning rod size i need is ".22-.26 cal." from Dewey??

shootist~
05-06-10, 22:58
I have to couple questions.

Does anybody know if "JP cleaning guide" will fit with "DEWEY Coated rod" ??

Cleaning rod size i need is ".22-.26 cal." from Dewey??

Yes on both. The 30" rod is ideal for an AR since it's short enough that it won't flex and long enough for a 18" barrel. Note: A 30" Dewey rod has to bottom out on my JP rod guide to make it out of the A2 FH on a 20" upper, so it could be on the short side for something with a longer flash suppressor.

CobraBG
05-07-10, 19:57

Now that's a good idea! Thanks. :cool:

Blankwaffe
05-08-10, 03:28

I tried that a couple times and found that the clothes would have a slight hint of CLP and Hoppe's No.9 to them for sometime afterwards.Ive complained about CLP evaporating off of weapons too soon,but man that stuff lingers in a washer.Personally it was fine for me,but I ultimately ended up replacing the washer due to highly accurate female sniping within my AO.Now I have my own washer for shop use....and yeah its funky.
So I'd keep that in mind.

Blankwaffe
05-08-10, 03:36
As far as cleaning kit:
Dewey .22 cal coated rod.
Dewey AR15 chamber cleaning kit,which also doubles as my pistol rod.
Several bore brushes.
Tooth brush.
7/8" stencil brush for applying lube.
Various size patches 3/4"-1 3/4".
Hoppe's No.9 for bore/chamber cleaning and as a dunkit.
Weapon Shield CLP.
And I keep a USGI sectional rod kit handy for range panics.

Pappabear
05-08-10, 08:34

Very true, but in the sandy/dusty climate I shoot in, I would still be dragging grit through the barrel after the first pass.

No, No, No, dont put the rifle in the washer ;) Bore snacks are nice and easy. I use them often if I did not do a high round count shoot and just want to wipe it down and Snake Plissken it.

Skang
05-11-10, 00:24
What size cleaning rod will be good for 16" barrel.

i cant decide between 30" or 36".

Blankwaffe
05-11-10, 02:32
I always opt for the 36" as it works with other caliber and barrel length weapons up to about 7mm.

Iraqgunz
05-11-10, 03:09
I have Dewey rods and I also use regular GI cleaning kits. Seem to work just fine.

I prefer to use M-Pro7. I use a plastic container and lay my BCG and other items in there and spray them down.

For lubrication I have switched from Militec-1 to Weaponshield. I also use FP-10.

Skang
05-18-10, 18:43
Iam looking at Dewey "Loop" pistols cleaning rod.

i guess 6" what i need. But i want to know when they said 6" are they talking about whole rod length with loop area? or just straight rod length?

Blankwaffe
05-18-10, 19:57
Iam looking at Dewey "Loop" pistols cleaning rod.

i guess 6" what i need. But i want to know when they said 6" are they talking about whole rod length with loop area? or just straight rod length?

Save yourself some money and just buy the Dewey AR15 chamber cleaning kit and kill two birds with one stone.The brass chamber rod doubles nicely as a pistol rod.All you need is the appropriate jag or loop.

Skang
05-18-10, 20:10
oh, thank you for good idea. because i was going to order ar15 chamber cleaning kit with it.

:D

shootist~
05-18-10, 21:34
Add a standard .223 nylon brush for the chamber cleaning rod. A patch over the nylon brush is ideal for cleaning and wiping out the chamber.

Skang
05-18-10, 22:02
Add a standard .223 nylon brush for the chamber cleaning rod. A patch over the nylon brush is ideal for cleaning and wiping out the chamber.

also use this idea to clean barrel too?

shootist~
05-18-10, 22:14
also use this idea to clean barrel too?

Nada. A .223 brush is a very tight fit in the barrel - adding a patch to it won't work. The Dewey cleaning rod will come with a female threaded jag for the cleaning patches plus an adapter for a brush. I prefer a bronze brush for the bore - used sparingly.

devildogljb
05-19-10, 14:33
Get a otis cleaning kit they are def worth the price and compact for the trips to the range. Check out ebay

maximus83
06-15-10, 00:46
I have Dewey rods and I also use regular GI cleaning kits. Seem to work just fine.

I prefer to use M-Pro7. I use a plastic container and lay my BCG and other items in there and spray them down.

For lubrication I have switched from Militec-1 to Weaponshield. I also use FP-10.

I also have been using the Mpro-7 water-based cleaner for a few years now and really like it for most purposes. I also like their high-end CLP product as a lube: darned expensive, but man does it stay in place.

For cleaning tools, I've run the gamut and am currently using Otis. They seem to do about as a nice a job as anything else, and cool thing is, when you have a tool on there like a brush, you don't HAVE to remove every time through like with a cleaning rod, since you're pulling it through.

One thing I don't like about the Otis? The cable sort of kinks up on you after a while, making it harder to get a "straight pull" through the barrel.

curmudgeon9
06-15-10, 02:36
I had been contentedly using the oldschool Hoppe's #9 cleaning solution and gun oil on my AR-15s until a gunsmith recently pointed me to a product called "Ballistol" ........ what an epiphany ! The stuff reduces my cleaning time by 50% ..... cleans and lubes at the same time ...... its noticeably more slippery and breaks down the carbon buildup quicker and easier.

Nathan_Bell
06-15-10, 07:31
Unless you buy a firearm from someone whose firearm care procedures you know and approve of, you should always clean and lube a new gun before its first trip to the range.
Always, always, (one last time) always clean and lube factory new guns. It is amazing how a 12# AR trigger with a terrible feel can be cleaned up by getting the goober off of the FCG and get a little lube on it.

SHV
06-15-10, 18:26
Hi,

I got a Dewey Chanber kit. Seemed like copper portion of chamber brush was very long- does it definitely not extend into the bore?

I also could not get the large back end of the mop to fit the lug area; the chamber portion of the mop was too tight to go all the way in

lastly, how far down on the lug cleaning kit from dewey do you oush that little delrin sleeve? seemed like the cotton pieces of the end of the lug rod attachment still had trouble getting into all of the lug recesses.

FYI- patchworm and their .22 felts (made by VCG). I really like them.

carbine_kyle
06-15-10, 19:41
Is there any specific brand of CLP that you guys would recommend??

Skang
06-16-10, 00:33

WeaponShield, Gunzilla is one of the top CLP's.

CBTech
06-16-10, 00:39

Break Free

carbine_kyle
06-16-10, 19:06
i gotta say though. Gunzilla is a bit pricey. Is it really worth it??

Skang
06-17-10, 00:49
i gotta say though. Gunzilla is a bit pricey. Is it really worth it??

thing is you never know until YOU try it.

currently i am using Weapon Shield and i am happy with it.