PDA

View Full Version : Any recommended assemblers?

BrigandTwoFour
05-02-10, 22:21
Hey all!

I'm slowly getting in the last of my parts for the upper, and I've turned to the matter of assembly. Unfortunately, I do not have the proper tools to do it all myself, nor do I have the experience. On top of that, there are no certified armorers around where I live to do the job right.

I've been reading a few threads lately where people have been talking about incorrect assembly in regards to bad head spacing, improper torquing, and bad gas system assembly- things I'd rather not have to deal with if I use someone who may or may not really know what they're doing.

Do ya'll have a list handy of people I can send the upper parts to? I have heard Adco can do it, but do ya'll know of anyone else?

Ak44
05-02-10, 22:50
Rob @ Virginia Arms Co built my upper and did a fantastic job. But then again he is in Virginia...

13MPG
05-09-10, 18:29
Rob @ Virginia Arms Co built my upper and did a fantastic job. But then again he is in Virginia...

+1 on that. Should not be more than $40 to ship it both ways.

ROGOPGEAR
05-09-10, 20:55
Hey all!

I'm slowly getting in the last of my parts for the upper, and I've turned to the matter of assembly. Unfortunately, I do not have the proper tools to do it all myself, nor do I have the experience. On top of that, there are no certified armorers around where I live to do the job right.

I've been reading a few threads lately where people have been talking about incorrect assembly in regards to bad head spacing, improper torquing, and bad gas system assembly- things I'd rather not have to deal with if I use someone who may or may not really know what they're doing.

Do ya'll have a list handy of people I can send the upper parts to? I have heard Adco can do it, but do ya'll know of anyone else?

headspacing shouldn't be a problem if you get your barrel with barrel extension from a good supplier (DD, BCM, etc.), torquing has a pretty wide margin between 30-80ftpounds and many do it without a torque wrench, and the gas system is pretty difficult to mess up. I'm on my 8th upper build with no problems, and just a few good tools. I guess I'm just surprised that there have been problems, I am no expert but have just done a lot of reading and am a semi handyman.

but yes, I've had great experiences with ADCO, I'm sure they could hook you up.

SeriousStudent
05-09-10, 22:02
Steve at ADCO is very good, and very quick. Turnaround time is awesome.

Robb at VA Arms is an excellent smith, and a fine gentleman.

Grant at G&R Tactical also does excellent work, and is an acknowledged expert in this field.

I can vouch for the work all three of them have done on my personal weapons. Robb's got some Glock slides from me now for sight installs, as a matter of fact. :D

Frankly, you could not go wrong with any of the three, and the price for their work is very, very reasonable.

BrigandTwoFour
05-10-10, 07:51
Hey all, thanks for the recommendations!

I've got a Centurion Arms CHF lightweight as the barrel. I'm waiting on the new Spikes slim rail as the final piece. I don't have a torque wrench or vice, so I just figured it would be better to send it off to get it done right.

I've just seen too many posts from dealers talking about poor assembly jobs affecting accuracy, and I don't trust the one guy here in town to do it right.