PDA

View Full Version : H.R. 2159 Threatens Gun Ownership, FFLs and Explosives Licenses

Grayling14
05-03-10, 01:55
Introduced by Republicans Peter King (NY), Mark Kirk (IL) and Mike Castle (DE).

Resolution number 2159, ("Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2009"), in our House of Representatives, is a piece of legislation that appears to be so broad in its scope, and ambiguous in its determination of criteria, that it is a serious threat to our 2nd Amendment rights. It would allow the Attorney General to; 1) Deny law abiding citizens the right to own/transfer possession of a firearm, 2) Revoke a current/deny application for, FFL, 3) Revoke a current/deny application for, an Explosives license.

The most disturbing points are as follows:
1) The Attorney General, (currently Eric Holder), can deny the transfer of a firearm to any person where there is "reasonable belief that the applicant may use a firearm in connection with terrorism".

2) The Attorney General has sole discretion to define "reasonable belief".

3) The Attorney General is NOT required to provide to the defendant/plaintiff, (e.g. denied applicant or revoked licensee), substantiated proof of its allegations if it, (the AG), deems that the exposure of such proof would 'constitute a threat to national security'.

4) A court that was ruling on a denied applicant/revoked licensee’s legal challenge could consider only a redacted version, or summary, of supposed proof supplied by the AG's office if the AG deemed that exposure of such proof constituted a 'threat to national security'.

Here is the Library of Congress Website with the text of the legislation.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h2159ih.txt.pdf

Latest Major Action: 6/12/2009 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

Considering this administration's penchant for subverting the Constitution, defaming honorably discharged veterans and other law abiding citizens with fallacious accusations of being potential terrorists, and attempting to silence all who dissent with its policies, the introduction of H.R. 2159 is quite alarming. If you agree, contact your Congressional Representative and let him/her know!

Here is the Website to find your Representative.

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml

Iraqgunz
05-03-10, 12:08
Did you bother to check this out further? If you look closely you will see there has been no action since June 2009. That's called a clue on the chance this bill has.

Grayling14
05-03-10, 13:36
Did you bother to check this out further? If you look closely you will see there has been no action since June 2009. That's called a clue on the chance this bill has.

Yes sir, I am aware of the date, and I hope your estimation is correct. Unfortunately, proposed legislation can sometimes wallow in obscurity only to resurface and be put up for a vote in short order.

Honu
05-04-10, 10:20
Liberman brought up this bill again ? not directly but said their is a law in the works that would allow the AG to deny anyone a gun blah blah blah

I think he is talking about this bill the way he made it sound

basically using the recent NY bombing attempt to bring this back up I bet !!!!

Dragon Slayer
05-04-10, 10:32
Liberman brought up this bill again ? not directly but said their is a law in the works that would allow the AG to deny anyone a gun blah blah blah !!

Not deny to anyone but to people on the terrorist watch list, but we know that the watch list they have is a complete screw up and it is impossible to get of of it even if you are a grandma from Sweden if they put your name on it by mistake.:rolleyes:

Nathan_Bell
05-04-10, 11:05

Aye, but Congress might decide that the current NYC scare needs "strong decisive action" and this bill could be it.

A bill that makes Lefties happy makes a vampire look easy to kill.

Honu
05-04-10, 18:34
Not deny to anyone but to people on the terrorist watch list, but we know that the watch list they have is a complete screw up and it is impossible to get of of it even if you are a grandma from Sweden if they put your name on it by mistake.:rolleyes:

from reading the bill its about ANYONE the AG thinks in his discretion might be engaged in terrorist activity ? they do not have to be on the list
that is the big problem with it

bolded some problems the way I see it ;)
he can make assumptions that you are a domestic terrorist or might aid a domestic terrorist if you have had some training in firearms ?

‘Sec. 922B. Attorney General’s discretion regarding applicants for firearm permits which would qualify for the exemption provided under section 922(t)(3)

‘The Attorney General may determine that an applicant for a firearm permit which would qualify for an exemption under section 922(t) is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support thereof, and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the applicant may use a firearm in connection with terrorism.’; and

(3) in section 921(a), by adding at the end the following:

‘(36) The term ‘terrorism’ means ‘international terrorism’ as defined in section 2331(1), and ‘domestic terrorism’ as defined in section 2331(5).

montanadave
05-04-10, 20:04
Sorry, but the writing was on the wall for all of this unrestrained federal authority when Bush and company shoved the oh so cleverly entitled Patriot Act down the throats of a feckless Congress and frightened, obsequious electorate.

The time to scream bloody murder was in October of 2001, when Bush declared marshall law in the good old US of A. Now we're just cryin' over spilled milk.

Grayling14
05-05-10, 02:47
montanadave-

The time to scream bloody murder was in October of 2001, when Bush declared marshall law in the good old US of A. Now we're just cryin' over spilled milk.

True enough, the milk in the glass has been spilt, but that is no reason to let them upend the entire carton.

montanadave
05-05-10, 08:25
True enough, the milk in the glass has been spilt, but that is no reason to let them upend the entire carton.

I couldn't agree more. I suppose the point I was trying to make was that everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in this country has become so intensely polarized by politics that folks have accepted that their ox is gonna get gored; now all we do is bitch about who's doing the goring. If it's my guys, I'll avert my eyes and passively submit to getting ****ed, but if it's those other good-for-nothing SOBs, I'll scream like a stuck pig and take to the streets with pitchforks and torches.

I am continually amazed by folks who can shift from being so passive to so militant based solely on the political party in power when the end result is exactly the same.

It's like a magic act--as long as the magician can keep the audience's attention focused on something else, they can pull off any trick in the book.

Dragon Slayer
05-05-10, 12:06
Sorry, but the writing was on the wall for all of this unrestrained federal authority when Bush and company shoved the oh so cleverly entitled Patriot Act down the throats of a feckless Congress and frightened, obsequious electorate.

If you are comparing Bush to Obama you are very misguided, wait a little longer and you will learn, if you are capable of learning. :rolleyes:

CarlosDJackal
05-05-10, 14:43

Really? So you're saying that we're doomed and that we should just give up the fight? :rolleyes:

variablebinary
05-05-10, 16:05
"The Terrorist Loop Hole"

Where do they get this shit?

If someone is eligible to buy a firearm legally, then they should not have their rights denied without due process.

Yes, I would include sketchy Muslims too, because being sketchy is not a crime.

500grains
05-05-10, 16:19
Yes sir, I am aware of the date, and I hope your estimation is correct. Unfortunately, proposed legislation can sometimes wallow in obscurity only to resurface and be put up for a vote in short order.

Mayor Bloomberg has been calling for this legislation since the most recent failed Islamic terrorist attack in NYC (car bomb). It seems to me that not making those guys citizens or not letting them in the country in the first place would be more effective at preventing terrorism than making the AG the sole administrator of 2nd amendment rights.

Dragon Slayer
05-05-10, 17:35
Mayor Bloomberg has been calling for this legislation since the most recent failed Islamic terrorist attack in NYC (car bomb). It seems to me that not making those guys citizens or not letting them in the country in the first place would be more effective at preventing terrorism than making the AG the sole administrator of 2nd amendment rights.

IMHO the AG specially this one can go and have sex with the prophet Mohammed's camel. I agree with everything you said.