PDA

View Full Version : Telling the difference between 223 & 5.56

Rude Robert
05-03-10, 02:37
Here is my question, I am pretty new to the Ar15 ownership. I have always liked them but when I left the army couldn't afford one. Now, that I own one, is it possible to tell the difference when firing 223 from the 5.56? I keep my ammo separated but I can't tell one from the other when firing them. I don't notice any kick or sound difference. Is this normal? thx robert

Magic_Salad0892
05-03-10, 03:46
Same round different case. If your gun has a 5.56 NATO chamber then it doesn't really matter. You can use both.

Rude Robert
05-03-10, 03:54
Hi, what I am asking if there is anyway to tell the difference while firing.

SERT103
05-03-10, 04:05
I can't tell the difference.

Magic_Salad0892
05-03-10, 06:14
Sorry I misunderstood.

No there is no way to tell the difference.

RogerinTPA
05-03-10, 06:54
Here is my question, I am pretty new to the Ar15 ownership. I have always liked them but when I left the army couldn't afford one. Now, that I own one, is it possible to tell the difference when firing 223 from the 5.56? I keep my ammo separated but I can't tell one from the other when firing them. I don't notice any kick or sound difference. Is this normal? thx robert

From firing not really, but 5.56 ammo has a larger noise report and larger muzzle flash with M193, at least to me. By brand of firearm, more likely. If it's really an unusual brand, maybe someone with info on it, will come along. What type of AR is it?

There is a gauge available that can tell when inserted into the chamber, which makes a mark on the gauge, but the name of it escapes me. Made by Michiguns I think?

Rude Robert
05-03-10, 08:52
Oh thanks. I thought by shooting the 223 and then the 5.56 there would be some notable difference for which I can't tell one from the other. I thought maybe something was wrong with me lol

RogerinTPA
05-03-10, 09:35
So which manufacturer's AR do you have?

Here's the link to michiguns gauge, which they also have reamers in 5.56 if you have a .223 chamber: http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

Rude Robert
05-04-10, 02:50
I have one of the unspeakable Ar's hehe. I use it for hunting only and its more accurate then I can shoot. Just trying to a little funny anyways with all the negative talk about the manufacture I was a bit surprised it was still shooting in the dirty situation I had it in. Okay, I if tell you don't hold it against me lol, it's a Dpms. Next one, If I get a chance to buy another, before gun ownership is taken from us, I hope I can get a Colt. I don't need all the short carbine type just the normal 20'' military type. All though I'm not sure if it would be good for shooting the ground squirrels being it has the chromed barrel?

Rude Robert
05-04-10, 02:58
Yikes, I don't want to ream the chamber hehe. Thanks for the link though that was a good read. If I spend that money I'd put it toward a new rifle :rolleyes:

jwperry
05-04-10, 04:08
POI should be different as velocities are different; 5.56>.223 in velocity.

DaBears_85
05-04-10, 04:57
I have one of the unspeakable Ar's hehe. I use it for hunting only and its more accurate then I can shoot. Just trying to a little funny anyways with all the negative talk about the manufacture I was a bit surprised it was still shooting in the dirty situation I had it in. Okay, I if tell you don't hold it against me lol, it's a Dpms. Next one, If I get a chance to buy another, before gun ownership is taken from us, I hope I can get a Colt. I don't need all the short carbine type just the normal 20'' military type. All though I'm not sure if it would be good for shooting the ground squirrels being it has the chromed barrel?

You can make your DPMS into a more reliable weapon by doing little things like making sure that the gas keys are staked properly, staking the castle nut, making sure it has a black extractor spring e.t.c. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your rifle is trash or anything. Just an idea is all.

If you're interested this is an excellent thread on things you can do to improve your weapon system:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

Pappabear
05-04-10, 06:48
I couldnt tell the difference, but my Steel Target at 50 yards could, that now has five holes in it:(. Thats what my wondering got me.

rjacobs
05-04-10, 07:11
Only way to really tell is that the case will be marked either .223 or 5.56. If its not marked either but has a circled + symbol than its 5.56 as thats generally the marking for a NATO round(as I say that I pull out some 5.56 Gold Dots that are not marked 5.56 or have a + symbol). OR if the primer is crimped its 5.56(the 5.56 Gold Dots have a very pronounced primer crimp).

I have never felt a difference while shooting.

Rude Robert
05-04-10, 07:13
Or anyone else for that matter. Going through you link on who to improve my weapon system. My extractor seems to fit the heavier description and the gas key looks like its stacked like the colt? Maybe, dpms made some changes but I am a bit confused lol. I have the regular stock perhaps it's called a2 stock but its the "normal" looking military type. There isn't a castle nut on there is there? I removed the stock by the screw and I don't remember seeing the big nut? It's probably has lock tight on it. But I don't know how to look for it, there is just a long tube. I must have over looked that one.

RogerinTPA
05-04-10, 16:09
You can make your DPMS into a more reliable weapon by doing little things like making sure that the gas keys are staked properly, staking the castle nut, making sure it has a black extractor spring e.t.c. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your rifle is trash or anything. Just an idea is all.

If you're interested this is an excellent thread on things you can do to improve your weapon system:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

Agreed.

To the OP: Just read the stickys, especially "Oh know, I bought a BM, DPMS, Stag, etc...before I knew better", and no, no one will crucify you for what you bought. But...now you know better.;)

Caeser25
05-04-10, 17:28
I notice little a difference bewtween XM193 and Federal .223 bulk packs.

payj
05-04-10, 17:54
Been reading this thread. quick Q to all of you Im looking at buying a barrel that is chambered in 5.56 (centurion arms barrel) I can still shoot .223 civilian ammo through it right? I noticed Magic states this in this thread, but just want to make sure.

quote from centurions arms site:

"We use a true 5.56 NATO-type chamber in our barrels which safely allows use of higher pressure military ammunition in addition to promoting reliable feeding, locking, and extracting."

RogerinTPA
05-04-10, 20:01
Been reading this thread. quick Q to all of you Im looking at buying a barrel that is chambered in 5.56 (centurion arms barrel) I can still shoot .223 civilian ammo through it right? I noticed Magic states this in this thread, but just want to make sure.

quote from centurions arms site:

"We use a true 5.56 NATO-type chamber in our barrels which safely allows use of higher pressure military ammunition in addition to promoting reliable feeding, locking, and extracting."

Yes, all day long.

rychencop
05-04-10, 21:10
Hi, what I am asking if there is anyway to tell the difference while firing.

no difference