PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

newyork
05-03-10, 05:42
is it worth spending a premium on a pre-ban state, to have a collapsible stock and flash hider? I keep going back and forth. pre-ban lowers are expensive. I have been using Sully stocks for a few years and have grown very used to their length and rigidity. Is the flash hider that much easier on the ears and neighbor shooters and that much more advantageous than the Surefire brakes I have to justify spending $500 on a preban lower with lpk?

Pathfinder Ops
05-03-10, 05:57
The only benefit to the collapsible stock issue for me is tat sometimes I'm wearing a larger chest rig/ body armor system do to mission dictate.

So having the ability to shorten up based on my circumstance is helpful.

As for the other options; yes there is some legitimacy to there function, but again whats the user environment. If you are a civilian who for all intent and purpose shoot on a static, one way range, why spend the money? CDI factor (Chicks Dig It) not withstanding the money may be better spent on training and ammo.

I'm not say don't get these things or to get them.

I'm saying what I tell all my students: Honestly assess what you need based on your mission/ environment and get that. In my opinion that's a good quality base platform, good iron sights and a light (maybe a sling).

Optics, slings, collapsible this and suppressor thats are luxury items.

After you have the absolute essentials; pay for training. It's on the training ground that you will start to get a better idea of what else you will want to add to that basic platform.

CAVDOC
05-03-10, 16:21
As a fellow NY'er I understand where you are coming from.The only ban feature I find significantly useful is the collapsible stock- like when teaching young shooters or short statured women. Flash supressor or muzzle brake could care less.Even less for bayonet lug.

newyork
05-03-10, 18:41
I could care less about the bayo except some nice uppers with a FSB have a bayo lug (BCM) and they won't shave it. Makes it a pain.
Opposite on the stock thing here. I like the length of my sullys but would like to be able to lengthen them for bench shooting and when introducing the AR to taller, longer armed friends that are uncomfortable with such short LOP.
I'd like a FH for fear of blinding during a HD situation or SHTF (probably not really a concern ever) .