PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my drop in carbine rail system. DD or Troy?

ghostman1960
05-03-10, 06:31
I have narrowed down my choices to Daniel Defence and Troy but I keep going back and forth.

Im not sure if I like the shelf on the top rail of the DD that extends to the rail on the receiver. I can't find a picture of one attached to a rifle to make up my mind. But then again I have nothing but good about them.

Then comes the Troy system. I have read that they are excellent also. But I have no personel experience with them.

I know there are other good systems out there but these are the two I have it narrowed down to.

I have to make up my mind quick as I am ordering my upper from BCM tomorrow and am going to order the rails from them at the same time.

Thanks.

HeavyDuty
05-03-10, 07:59
I was looking at the DD EZ until I found out how wide it was. That's my problem with most of the drop-ins - they tend to be chunky.

Reports are good for both of the ones you're considering. I'd probably go Troy only because I've had good experience with the company plus they can be had for $40 less than the DD.

If you look, I had a thread on carbine drop-ins this past week. Some great information was posted by users on the sizes of available rails, plus a lot of encouragement to consider a KAC. (Too plump for me, though.) I ended up ordering an Ergo because of the width, it's supposedly very similar to a DD Omega in size.

dcs12345
05-03-10, 09:57
Are you looking for Drop in freefloat or non-free float???

If you want a drop in free float, I vote for the DD Omega.

kmrtnsn
05-03-10, 10:24
Don't overlook the Vltor.

msap
05-03-10, 10:36
I use the DD omega, it's rock solid.

ghostman1960
05-03-10, 10:52
Are you looking for Drop in freefloat or non-free float???

If you want a drop in free float, I vote for the DD Omega.

Does the Omega require the removal of the FSB for installation? This will be going on a 14.5" barrel with a pinned FH.

Jimbo45
05-03-10, 10:55
Does the Omega require the removal of the FSB for installation? This will be going on a 14.5" barrel with a pinned FH.

No. No removal of the FSB, handguard cap, barrel nut, nor delta ring for installation. Its drop in.

ETA: The Omega "X", requires a special barrel nut, so it would not be a drop in.

Killjoy
05-03-10, 11:32
Troy, we use these on a patrol rifles with no complaints.

Dos Cylindros
05-03-10, 14:02
I have owned both, two DD rails including the one on my current carbine, and I had a Troy MRF-CX on my last upper. Both are very good rails, but I think the DD rails are a cut above.