PDA

View Full Version : Carbine/AR advice

05-03-10, 08:58
I am new to the AR/carbine world. I am a long time pistol shooter with experience in IDPA/USPSA competition. Having made many pistol buying mistakes over the years I am going to try and avoid those same expensive mistakes. I want a carbine for competition and self defense. I will use it in competition but it must be practical for defense.

I have read the "chart" and numerous post here and other places. I must keep the cost @ $1000 or less [give or take]. I want a good base and I am willing to give up most of the cool guy stuff for a quality base weapon.

I have looked at AK's and have not ruled them out, in handling at the gun shop they appear clumsy and crude next to others. The Ruger Mini 14 is also under consideration, I understand that I must use only Ruger mags with this gun and accuracy is not in the AR realm. I like the Smith & Wesson offerings and I saw a Colt Sporter HB on sale locally for approx. $1000.

My question is: is there any other carbine I should consider along with those mentioned?
Thank you

dcs12345
05-03-10, 10:00
Bravo Company Machine
Daniel Defense

I would personally stay away from the Mini-14, especially if you are wanting to particaipate in competitions.

scottd907
05-03-10, 10:12
Im going push Noveske to anyone whos looking for the best rifle for the money. You really cant go wrong with them. And you dont have to spend $1200 just on a Noveske upper, im sure they have some priced up in that range. Their basic N4 light carbine upper at $850 is unbeatable. Matched with a decent lower at $200-$300, makes a nice $1100 rifle. Iv got a thread open with pics if you'd like to take a look at what iv pieced together.

Saber is another great rifle up in the line with LMT, BCM... I think $1000 will start you off, but im sure you'll be asking for more once you figure out your rifle.

Scott

SWATcop556
05-03-10, 10:14
BCM (Bravo Company MFG)
Daniel Defense
S&W

All are good rifles at the price point you are looking at. Call Grant with G&R Tactical for some of the best prices on all three.

ChicagoTex
05-03-10, 15:08
Spikes is offering some killer deals right now on very impressive quality basic carbines.

Cincinnatus
05-03-10, 16:45
BCM
DD
Noveske Basic

hellbound
05-03-10, 16:59
for the value, a BCM is probably your best bet.
the Spike's M4LE has some excellent features and decent reviews online, and at $750 is pretty impressive. BUT I have not had a chance to handle one of the spike's personally, so I can't really vouch for them.

I've used quite a few BCM barrels, bolts, etc in various rifles with one issue (a deformed extractor spring) that Paul took care of immediately with more BCM extractor springs, inserts, and o-rings than i could ever need. Aside from that one minor issue BCM has been good to go for me.

JHC
05-03-10, 17:23
I've got two Noveske N4s an LMT and a Bushie. I love them N4s but if I were in your exact shoes, I'd find Skinja11 on here and have him spec out his latest BCM 14.5 midlength. You don't have to build it, just snap the components together. I say this cause I'm still a little dizzy over how incredibly sweet shooting the BCM 14.5" middie he assembled is. For an experienced speed shooter like you, this would seem one helluva good fit. You can do all that under your budget number. Maybe minus some of his assessories ;) Here's a pic of this gun.

Aurispector
05-03-10, 18:31
I just did a build with a stripped dpms lower and a 16" lightweight upper kit from M&A parts. I ordered late on a friday and the kit was delivered on tuesday from halfway across the country. The lower was about $100 and the kit was under $600 shipped. The kit comes complete with everything you need to assemble the rifle except for rear sights (if you get a flat top) and magazines. You save money and gain skills by assembling the rifle yourself. It's easy and fun and the build will take an evening. My rifle shoots like a clock and is more accurate than me. I chose a chrome lined barrel for longevity but they have other kits with match grade chrome moly or stainless steel barrels which should be extremely accurate. Unless you're fanatical about fit and finish pretty much any name brand lower should do.

http://www.mapartsinc.com/

aflin
05-03-10, 18:43
+1 for spikes and BCM

Spikes has a promotional right now for their basic AR for $750 if my memory serves me right. Easily on par with Colt and any other top brands.

djegators
05-03-10, 19:24
I can personally recommend Noveske based on my own purchases, but will likely be a bit higher than the price range you mention. I definitely want to add a BCM to my collection, so that would be my pick for you. Oh, and don't overlook Colt, you can probably get a LE6920 close to your price range.

Belmont31R
05-03-10, 19:25
I would suggest a BCM middy with a stainless barrel.

Stay away from the "parts kits" guns. They are NOT on part with quality makers like BCM, LMT, ETC, and are not much cheaper all said and done.

shadow65
05-03-10, 19:37
BCM if it were mine. I too would stay away from the mini 14. I put too much into one trying to accurize it, only to get an out of box AR accuracy.
An AK is an AK. It aways go bang. Crude it may be, but it's reliable for combat accuracy.

Dano5326
05-03-10, 19:44
Get an AR of some sort, for competition nothing comes close ergonomically. And they are like legos and can be altered fast and cheap.

I would suggest a flattop upper reciever & midlength gas system 16" barrel as a do it all.

If you get to building a comp gun.. and can afford to feed a dedicated system.. you will probably get a 17.5-18" rifle gas and mod to your hearts content.