PDA

View Full Version : Pick shotgun for occasional skeet and HD

jasonhgross
05-03-10, 11:22
Hey guys. I am looking for a shotgun to do double duty as an occasional skeet shotgun and pull HD duty as well. I know with a shotgun its better to go full duty as a skeet gun and a different gun as HD, but I would prefer in this case for a shotgun to do both. So far I am looking at a Benelli M2 in either 24" or 21" barrel. Thoughts?

Thanks.

SHIVAN
05-03-10, 12:22
Remington 1100.

chris914
05-03-10, 14:47
I have an 1100 tactical that has served me well over the last couple of years. It came with the Rem-Choke tubes so it has proven to be pretty decent at a lot of things. I am going to shorten the stock just a bit to allow for a faster shouldering.

556A2
05-03-10, 15:09
I'd go buy the cheapest, beat-up Remington 870 I could find with a 26" Rem-Choke or fixed Skeet choke field barrel for around $200 give or take.

Then buy a 18.5" bead sight Police barrel with a fixed Improved Cylinder & a new magazine spring for about $110 shipped from Remington.

Then you have 1 shotgun to do it all for about $300. If you really want a autoloader, then double the price for a Remington 1100 or 11-87 setup the same (Avoid the 1100 Magnum).

Going down the Benelli road is going to limit you in both situations. The 24" barrel is going to be too long for a HD shotgun. While the 21" is a bit long for HD, and is too short for clays. Same goes for the Remington 1100 with a 22" VR Rem-Choke barrel.

Plus Benelli barrels are very expensive, so its not very cost effective to buy a spare barrel.

joshua79109
05-03-10, 15:37
I'd go buy the cheapest, beat-up Remington 870 I could find with a 26" Rem-Choke or fixed Skeet choke field barrel for around $200 give or take.

Then buy a 18.5" bead sight Police barrel with a fixed Improved Cylinder & a new magazine spring for about $110 shipped from Remington.

Then you have 1 shotgun to do it all for about $300. If you really want a autoloader, then double the price for a Remington 1100 or 11-87 setup the same (Avoid the 1100 Magnum).

Going down the Benelli road is going to limit you in both situations. The 24" barrel is going to be too long for a HD shotgun. While the 21" is a bit long for HD, and is too short for clays. Same goes for the Remington 1100 with a 22" VR Rem-Choke barrel.

Plus Benelli barrels are very expensive, so its not very cost effective to buy a spare barrel.

I've had this same set up for over 15 years and it has served me well (870 w/ 2 barrels). Great advice.

I believe you'd also be happy with the Benelli.

Here's another shotgun to consider. FN SLP MK I - http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF005&gid=FNG002&mid=FNM0019

Here's a link where I gave some reasons why I like mine.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52224

Good luck in your choice

TWR
05-05-10, 23:20
I've had a Benelli M1 with a 21" barrel for several years now. I use it for all my hunting and have even used it on the skeet range. I shoot just as good with my 21" gun as I did my 26 or 28" Benelli's.

I wound up selling all my "purdy" wood stocked guns and got an M2 Tactical to go with the M1. The only thing wrong with the 21" barrel, is the older skeet regulars always kept telling me it needed a muffler.

SHIVAN
05-05-10, 23:22
A pump shotgun can certainly shoot skeet, but I personally think it changes the "game" too much. I only use O/U or a semi for the game.

For something dual use then, I would still have to stick by my Remington 1100 suggestion. Gamers and hunters have been using an 1100 for decades with extremely stellar success.

I believe at one point, or even maybe still, it's the most popular (or successful) semi-auto shotgun in the world.

DedicatedShooter
05-06-10, 00:38
Well, most would prefer a Semi or O/U for skeet. But, most would prefer a pump for HD due to extreme-reliability. So I say:

If you're new to skeet shooting:

1. Purchase a used Remington 870 pump gun that has a barrel length of AT LEAST 26" and has Rem-chokes. I wouldn't go any shorter than 26" because a longer barrel helps prevent a short follow-through and you can use that barrel for Trap shooting and bird/small game hunting as well Also, it will be more economical to buy the 870 with the 26" barrel because an HD barrel costs less to purchase separately.

2. Buy an additional 18", fixed choke, HD barrel

3. Later on down the road, after your skill level and familiarity with skeet shooting improves, you can purchase a dedicated clay bustin' semi or O/U.

If you're not new to skeet shooting:

1. Go with a semi-auto and separate barrels. As stated in another post, skeet can be shot with a pump gun and many people do it with much success... but a semi or O/U is a bit more appropriate.... and obviously much easier when each house simultaneously tosses a bird at you!

2. With a semi or O/U you can shoot sporting clays. Just like skeet, it can be done with pump guns, but a good sporting clays course is very, very fast paced and requires extremely quick follow up shots that only a few can master with a pump gun!

Another idea is that you can try and find a Super-Magnum 870, you can also hunt anything you'd like with your 870, provided that you don't already have other shotguns for that purpose. That was my first shotgun and that's what I did with it...I had a field barrel that I used for hunting and clay shooting and a rifled slug barrel for deer season. Just a thought though.

What types of hunting/shooting/personal defense activities do you participate in? What types of shotguns do you already own? Are you thinking about using this dual-purpose skeet/HD shotgun for anything else other than those two things?

DedicatedShooter
05-06-10, 00:55
Slightly Used Remington 870 Express Synthetic Super Magnum 26" Rem-Choked Vent Ribbed Barrel

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=167246773

Also, here's a link for a NEW 18" HD barrel

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168056322

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shotgun------------------$190-$250
Shipping------------------$20
FFL Transfer--------------$25
Barrel with Shipping----- $120
-----------------------------------------
Total....... $355 to $415

I'd say you have the opportunity to jump on a GREAT deal. If not, it'll be very easy to find another shotgun and barrel if you don't get these particular ones. But this is an example of what you are looking at if you go down the 870 route!

I'd say that you could get the shotgun plus the extra barrel for less than $375!! Not bad at all!!

SHIVAN
05-06-10, 08:58
But, most would prefer a pump for HD due to extreme-reliability.

Reliable is reliable. I don't need "extreme" anything. If a gun is not reliable, it has no place in home, or personal, defense. The Remington 1100 will run just fine, and if it doesn't fix it -- or return it for one that does.