PDA

View Full Version : Copier machines, a security risk? (VIDEO)

Irish
05-03-10, 12:04
Video here: http://wimp.com/copymachines/

I think this is very relevant to many, if not all, of the forum members here at M4C. Identity theft, OPSEC, and your personal information may be easily obtained through the methods shown in this video.

p345duc
05-03-10, 12:39
WOW that is scary.

Belmont31R
05-03-10, 14:40
Why does a copy machine need a HD that stores images of the documents being copied, and keep them stored forever?

Stupid...!

Irish
05-03-10, 15:00
Why does a copy machine need a HD that stores images of the documents being copied, and keep them stored forever?

Possible law enforcement investigations? The Navy identified the hard drives in their copiers as possible breaches in security and put out a warning in March, 2010 http://www.chips.navy.mil/archives/10_jan/PDF/Navy_Privacy.pdf

Belmont31R
05-03-10, 15:08
Possible law enforcement investigations? The Navy identified the hard drives in their copiers as possible breaches in security and put out a warning in March, 2010 http://www.chips.navy.mil/archives/10_jan/PDF/Navy_Privacy.pdf

Still seems ridiculous to add a HD that size to a copy machine just so LE can check it if they need to at some point in the future.

I know I have copied tons of personal documents on copy machines, and especially the military would have thousands of peoples SSN's and other personal info run on them just in a couple years. But being in the mil your info is all over the place anyways. You can go into almost any orderly room, and finds stacks of papers with everyone in the units stuff. Hell Ive been given orders and memo's with tons of peoples SSN's printed right along with mine.

Irish
05-03-10, 15:12
Still seems ridiculous to add a HD that size to a copy machine just so LE can check it if they need to at some point in the future.

I agree with you 100% I was just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Whootsinator
05-03-10, 15:44
While I didn't know about this, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

On a similar note, a long time ago, back when I was in elementary school, I remember all of our School ID Numbers just used our SSNs. They were printed on everything from our grade reports to our School ID Cards. Most school passwords were the last four letters of our SSNs. Crazy, the ideas people come up with...

Belmont31R
05-03-10, 15:47
While I didn't know about this, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

On a similar note, a long time ago, back when I was in elementary school, I remember all of our School ID Numbers just used our SSNs. They were printed on everything from our grade reports to our School ID Cards. Most school passwords were the last four letters of our SSNs. Crazy, the ideas people come up with...

Our social security cards have been turned into a quasi natl ID instead of being used solely for SS business as they are supposed to be.

Abraxas
05-03-10, 16:12

Stupid...!

This was my first thought

arizonaranchman
05-03-10, 22:32
All this modern technology makes NOTHING private anymore. For example your cell phone is a listening device/bug. If Big Brother wants to tap into it he can listen to the room you're in - not only when you're talking on the phone but anytime it's turned on. Same with your home telephone.

Big Brother loves you...

skyugo
05-03-10, 23:03
huh...
they really should wipe the document off after you copy it.
i'm guessing they just keep overwriting.

arizonaranchman
05-03-10, 23:13
All this modern technology makes NOTHING private anymore. For example your cell phone is a listening device/bug. If Big Brother wants to tap into it he can listen to the room you're in - not only when you're talking on the phone but anytime it's turned on. Same with your home telephone.

Big Brother loves you...

HeavyDuty
05-04-10, 08:54

Stupid...!

Because they're also network printers and scanners. Saving images to disk serves several purposes:

1. Jam recovery
2. Network storage of scanned documents
3. The ability to check for misuse

If you ask me, there should be a "format disk" function right in the administrator maintenance mode of these things. That, or make the memory storage a removable flash card that the customer can access.

twitch1706
05-04-10, 10:20
I remember seeing a program on TV a few years back about how some KGB spy managed to install something similar on a photocopier in Langley and copied a bunch of Eyes Only documents. Looks like it's finally being put into widespread use

SteveL
05-04-10, 12:23
That's really scary. I had no idea a copier stored images of all the documents it's copied or faxed.

Preferred User
05-04-10, 18:00
Not all copiers have a hard drive. Some network printers have hard drives. That said, there are so many electronic devices I examine it would make your head spin. For example your typical GPS stores quite a bit of info long after your trip. Most modern vehicles have what amounts to a black box similar to an aircraft (that is how Toyota is trying to debunk some of the runaway vehicle claims). Your cell phone records what towers it has connected with. The list goes on and on.